Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Republibot 3.0
Chef

Default Information about an aborted Cinematic Revival of Space 1999

Hi, everyone. No, this is not spam. You can email me, and I'll reply and everything. Anyway, my website just posted a lengthy interview with fanfic draftsman ("Fandraft?") Keith Young, and one of the most interesting things to come out of it was the mention that he had been approached by the producers of Space: 1999 in the '90s about doing some set designs for a big-screen revival of the franchise that they were working towards. He even gave us a color preproduction sketch he'd done for the revised Main Mission set. It's kind of interesting. Here's the link: http://www.republibot.com/content/in...-never-got-see
Republibot 3.0 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default SPACE:1999 revival?

I studied Drafting for three years and Keith Young is an artist in his SPACE:1999 Blueprints.

We all will buy the CD releases!

To bad Keith did not get to do a SPACE:1999 revival.

Keith Young should be hired as the Production Designer on any SPACE:1999 reboot movie or TV Series.

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 01-08-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Republibot 3.0
Chef

Yeah, I know!

From what I glean, the idea would have been to pick up the story some years later on with as many of the original cast members as wanted to do it, and to introduce a 'next generation' of new characters to fill in for the ones who weren't there, and keep the story going. I'm not sure how far they got, or if they even had a solid story, but given that it was Byrne and Penfold, who were both writers, I'm sure they at least had a rough outline in mind.

If anyone out there has any additional information on this dead project, I'd love to hear it.

Oh, by the way, the Republibot website will be running a gallery on monday of more sketches Keith did for the revival movie, and assorted other S'99 bric-a-brac. I'll post a link when it comes up, or anyone who's intererestd can just check out the main page here http://www.republibot.com
Old 01-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Excellent Keith Young interview.

The interview was extremely insightful. I guess alot of SPACE:1999 fans have identical interests and history....very Twilight Zone.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Hi, everyone. No, this is not spam. You can email me, and I'll reply and everything. Anyway, my website just posted a lengthy interview with fanfic draftsman ("Fandraft?") Keith Young, and one of the most interesting things to come out of it was the mention that he had been approached by the producers of Space: 1999 in the '90s about doing some set designs for a big-screen revival of the franchise that they were working towards. He even gave us a color preproduction sketch he'd done for the revised Main Mission set. It's kind of interesting. Here's the link: http://www.republibot.com/content/in...-never-got-see
That was a great read, cheers, J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
Republibot 3.0
Chef

Yeah, I was very surprised by the similar interests. The "Abba" thing particularly floored me, since Republibot 2.0 has been crazy for them forever, and I've mocked him for that our entire lives. <G>

Glad you liked the interview!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

Great interview! Thank you for sharing it.

Dana
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
Republibot 3.0
Chef

Happy to be of service. Glad you liked it. He was an interesting guy, and a lot of fun to talk to.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Republibot 3.0 thanks

Republibot 3.0 thanks for the Keith Young interview.

Extremely "Twilight Zone" that SPACE:1999 fans have similiar history and interests as Keith Young...events he described, e.g. the multiple book store visits to see the Star Trek STARFLEET Technical Manual in 1975 until I got it as a gift that Christmas 1975 too; the purchase of the 1978 Starlog Alpha Moonbase Technical Notebook and disappointment when it never had supplemental pages.

That also as a young child, sci-fi TV was discovered... Lost In Space reruns in the early 1970s led to discovering Star Trek:TOS reruns in the early 1970s plus the Star Trek Animated Series 1973-74, then ultimately, in 1975 SPACE:1999!

The next generation version of Space:1999 would be interesting...young cast adult children of original Alphans. Also, Alpha Base being rebuilt and revised over the years...as we saw simply from season#1 and season#2.

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 02-08-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 02-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
Republibot 3.0
Chef

Steve,

Thanks. Glad you liked it. He was an interesting guy to talk to, and I know there's been a dearth of new S'99 news of late, so I figured you folks here would like to know about it. <G>

I had pretty much the same exact experience that Keith had, and that you're talking about here, except that I knew about Trek before LIS (Though as a young child I thought Trek and Mission: Impossible were the same show, oddly enough). I was blown away by the Tech Manual, I loved the Space: 1999 one, and was likewise sadly disappointed when it never got expanded. When I heard about Keith's own expansions, I chased him around online for a decade trying to get a hold of copies before I finally caught him, and then I thought "Wow! I've got to make sure more people know about his work!"

Really the only sizeable difference between the 'standard' S'99 fan's story and mine is that I don't like Abba. <G>

Old 03-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Republibot 3.0 quest for those Keith Young Blueprints

Republibot 3.0 quest for those Keith Young Blueprints.

I never got the printed copies, however I will buy all the CD SETS!

I just discovered the Keith Young Blueprints at space1999.net/catacombs and dragonsdomain.co.uk in June 2009. I do not know how I missed his work all those years.

Thanks again, keep...keeping us updated.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
Republibot 3.0
Chef

Will do!

We were trying to run a gallery of his Movie Revival sketches today, but had a technical snafu that has postponed that. I'll let you guys know when it comes up, however.

In the meantime - forgive me for getting off topic here - did anyone check out "Defying Gravity" last night? To my surprise, it was pretty good. There's reviews on my website here:
Http://www.republibot.com
Old 03-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Defying Gravity made me think "Dragon's Domain"

"Defying Gravity" made me think of the great episode "Dragon's Domain" without the alien... I wanted to watch "Dragon's Domain" again...again.
The ANTARES design versus the ULTRA PROBE.

Good review! Let's hope the series lasts.

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 03-08-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
Republibot 3.0
Chef

Heh. Well, you might get to yet. I mean, they're obviously taking "Beta" somewhere, right? Maybe it's a sargasso sea in space...
Old 03-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #15
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default I agree

Maybe "Defying Gravity" will become "Dragon's Domain" like in story?

Old 03-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #16
Republibot 3.0
Chef

Unlikely, but there's always hope. It's obvious already that there's a Mysterious Unknown Force (Called "Beta," So I guess it's not THAT unknown) shepherding them along their travels and travails.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #17
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Mysterious Unknown Force (Called "Beta)

Mysterious Unknown Force (Called "Beta") like SPACE:1999 season#1 e.g. "Black Sun".
Old 04-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #18
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Keith Young should be hired as Production Designer

Keith Young should be hired as a Production Designer on any SPACE:1999 reboot movie or TV series. He is the SPACE:1999 Science-Fiction Draftsman expert on the great designs of this TV series.:
:::

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 04-08-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
Republibot 3.0
Chef

Amen to that. I'd imagine at this remove that he probably knows more about the sets on the show than anyone alive.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #20
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Absolutely!

I agree! His knowledge is unmatched.

Tags
blueprints, movie, revivals, space: 1999