Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Planet Arkadia becomes Alphans home timeline?

What do you think of this timeline of the fate of Alpha Base?
"Testament Of Arkadia" http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...e/t24ttoa.html

http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/...ans/Shane.html
Moonbase Alpha Timeline by Shane Johnson

Shane is the author of 'Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise,' 'The Worlds of the Federation,' 'The Star Wars Technical Journal,' and original novels including The Last Guardian and Ice. He was a design consultant on the HBO mini-series From The Earth To The Moon.

This timeline was written for a Space:1999 book that would have included technical material (blueprints), character biographies, timelines, and episode guides.(Maybe, this book was the one Keith Young helped him with as discussed in his extremely interesting interview with the republibot 3.0 ?)

TIMELINE: THE JOURNEY OF MOONBASE ALPHA
(Dates shown are days since departing Earth orbit)

2437 In Command Center, it is found that crucial control circuitry is suffering from molecular corrosion caused by exposure to the Dorcons' meson beams. The room is slowly being rendered inoperable. Koenig reopens Main Mission, and all primary control functions return to the upper level facility.

2459 John Koenig and Helena Russell are married in a ceremony held in Alpha's chapel. Alan Carter, empowered by Koenig, conducts the service.

2521 Once again, a black sun appears in the lunar sky. Alpha's course alters toward it and the moon is drawn into the stellar vortex.

2523-2524 Alpha emerges unharmed from the black sun. Main Computer analyzes a star system lying just ahead and states that the moon, once again, is approaching the planet Arkadia.
Koenig tries radio contact, and is stunned when his call to Luke Ferro and Anna Davis is answered by a joyous Victor Bergman. He, Morrow, Kano, and the rest of the lost Eagle crew, having limped back to the planet in their damaged craft, are living safely on the surface along with Ferro and Davis.

2543-2565 As if guided,MUF Mysterious Unknown Force the moon alters course and settles into a stable orbit around the planet. Koenig and Carter, in Eagle One, find their former fellow Alphans alive and well on Arkadia, and back on Alpha there is a joyous reunion. Bergman, Morrow, and the others embrace their friends and all exchange tales of the past six years.

Computer analysis reveals that the farming community established by Bergman and the others will support the population of Alpha, and much of the planet has become fertile again. A virtual duplicate of the pre-civilized Earth, Arkadia has become the world Alpha has been searching for throughout its long journey.

At long last, 'Operation:Exodus' takes place. Moonbase Alpha is stripped for all possible construction materials. Using all Eagles, the Alphans colonize Arkadia, bringing their journey full circle. The city of New Alpha is founded on the shore of a large inland sea.
2566 The journey of Moonbase Alpha ends

there is more at the site:http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/...ans/Shane.html

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 12-08-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
What do you think of this timeline of the fate of Alpha Base?

http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/...ans/Shane.html
Moonbase Alpha Timeline by Shane Johnson

Shane is the author of 'Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise,' 'The Worlds of the Federation,' 'The Star Wars Technical Journal,' and original novels including The Last Guardian and Ice. He was a design consultant on the HBO mini-series From The Earth To The Moon.

This timeline was written for a Space:1999 book that would have included technical material (blueprints), character biographies, timelines, and episode guides.(Maybe, this book was the one Keith Young helped him with as discussed in his extremely interesting interview with the republibot 3.0 ?)

2437 In Command Center, it is found that crucial control circuitry is suffering from molecular corrosion caused by exposure to the Dorcons' meson beams. The room is slowly being rendered inoperable. Koenig reopens Main Mission, and all primary control functions return to the upper level facility.

2459 John Koenig and Helena Russell are married in a ceremony held in Alpha's chapel. Alan Carter, empowered by Koenig, conducts the service.

2521 Once again, a black sun appears in the lunar sky. Alpha's course alters toward it and the moon is drawn into the stellar vortex.

2523-2524 Alpha emerges unharmed from the black sun. Main Computer analyzes a star system lying just ahead and states that the moon, once again, is approaching the planet Arkadia.
Koenig tries radio contact, and is stunned when his call to Luke Ferro and Anna Davis is answered by a joyous Victor Bergman. He, Morrow, Kano, and the rest of the lost Eagle crew, having limped back to the planet in their damaged craft, are living safely on the surface along with Ferro and Davis.

2543-2565 As if guided,MUF Mysterious Unknown Force the moon alters course and settles into a stable orbit around the planet. Koenig and Carter, in Eagle One, find their former fellow Alphans alive and well on Arkadia, and back on Alpha there is a joyous reunion. Bergman, Morrow, and the others embrace their friends and all exchange tales of the past six years.

Computer analysis reveals that the farming community established by Bergman and the others will support the population of Alpha, and much of the planet has become fertile again. A virtual duplicate of the pre-civilized Earth, Arkadia has become the world Alpha has been searching for throughout its long journey.

At long last, 'Operation:Exodus' takes place. Moonbase Alpha is stripped for all possible construction materials. Using all Eagles, the Alphans colonize Arkadia, bringing their journey full circle. The city of New Alpha is founded on the shore of a large inland sea.
2566 The journey of Moonbase Alpha ends

there is more at the site:http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/...ans/Shane.html
I think Robert Woods book will do a better job filling in the loose ends
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Planet Arkadia?

Happy resolution for those first season characters that we lost on Planet Arkadia?

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 11-08-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

This timeline sounds like a nice idea for a fan fic short story, or even a long fan fic story. It feels a bit like a fairy tale ending for Alpha.

My upcoming book is non-fiction, so I won't be speculating about any resolution for the series, or making up any fairy tale endings for the Alphans. One thing that is included in my book is a comprehensive account of Johnny Byrne's ideas for a return of the series, and I think his concepts were very fascinating and held enormous potential.
CalgaryAlphan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

The only problem I see is that the timeline is over 100 years.

Are we talking about a timeline from our perspective or theirs?
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default TIMELINE: THE JOURNEY OF MOONBASE ALPHA (Dates are days since departing Earth orbit)

2523-2524
Alpha emerges unharmed from the black sun. Main Computer analyzes a star system lying just ahead and states that the moon, once again, is approaching the planet Arkadia.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
dukedexter
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlphan View Post
This timeline sounds like a nice idea for a fan fic short story, or even a long fan fic story. It feels a bit like a fairy tale ending for Alpha.

My upcoming book is non-fiction, so I won't be speculating about any resolution for the series, or making up any fairy tale endings for the Alphans. One thing that is included in my book is a comprehensive account of Johnny Byrne's ideas for a return of the series, and I think his concepts were very fascinating and held enormous potential.
Yes, it's very like some fan fiction I've read where the writers want all the loose ends tying up neatly. IMO a very contrived way of ensuring a happy ending to include Victor, Paul, etc.
I would have liked to see what Johnny Byrne had planned.
dukedexter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlphan View Post

Old 12-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

oh, sorry, days not years. My mistake
Old 12-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default VTracy , good idea?

VTracy , no problem. I thought I might have confused some of you
with days not years since leaving Earth orbit.

Since it is days, what is your opinion?

"Testament Of Arkadia"http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...e/t24ttoa.html

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 12-08-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Old 13-08-2009, 01:03 AM   #11
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

VTracy , no problem. I thought I might have confused some of you
with days not years since leaving Earth orbit.

Since it is days, what is your opinion?

I think it's fine. However, would this continue as Sci-fi? Removing the element of the Alphans living on a "wandering moon", would present some writing challenges I'm sure. Where would the adventure come from? I guess exploring the planet could provide some plots.
Old 13-08-2009, 02:41 AM   #12
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Alphan Arkadia's adventure would continue

Alphan Arkadia's adventure would continue...as you said exploring Arkadia.
Exploring the Arkadia's solar system...as they explored Earth's Solar System prior to September 13,1999 "Breakaway".
Encountering aliens passing through Arkadia's solar system...

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 13-08-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 19-08-2009, 12:56 AM   #13
AlphaISIS73
Geological Technician

But the real adventure was in the Alphans finding some planet...that they could "possibly" end up living on...and then having the promise ripped away because of some BAD situation that made them realize that that planet is NOT for them...that Alpha is their home....or by the time they solve the problem of the week...they have to hurry back to Alpha before the moon goes out of orbit. To actually have them settle somewhere permanently...not dramatic enough.
AlphaISIS73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default "Star Trek:Deep Space Nine" ?

Perhaps you are right.
I guess the best example is "Star Trek Deep Space Nine" like Planet Arkadia Alphans...they have their weekly adventures and always return to their DS9 located near planet Bajor.

Planet Arkadia(Alphans) = Deep Space Nine(Starfleet)
Old 19-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #15
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Ok, I could see that. Especially if it were like DS9, mostly new characters, a few holdovers (think Warf and O'Brien), but leave the original central characters out. (This is to keep them available for a new S1999!)

Also, I think the moon should be on it's way, not stay in orbit. This could be more of a spin-off rather than a continuation. I think Arkadia would have to be updated too, not just a barren place, but some Arkadian technology rediscovered by the alphans to figure out and use to their advantage. I think this could work.

Just my two cents

Old 20-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #16
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default "Message From Moonbase Alpha"

SHANE JOHNSON's
2409-2411 days since leaving Earth orbit The Dorcons attempt to kidnap Maya. Moonbase Alpha suffers great damage as a result of their attack.
2412 days since leaving Earth orbit The Alphans begin the process of rebuilding the base and its damaged structures and systems
2437 days since leaving Earth orbit In Command Center, it is found that crucial control circuitry is suffering from molecular corrosion caused by exposure to the Dorcons' meson beams. The room is slowly being rendered inoperable. Koenig reopens Main Mission, and all primary control functions return to the upper level facility.
2459 days since leaving Earth orbit John Koenig and Helena Russell are married in a ceremony held in Alpha's chapel. Alan Carter, empowered by Koenig, conducts the service.
2521 days since leaving Earth orbit Once again, a black sun appears in the lunar sky. Alpha's course alters toward it and the moon is drawn into the stellar vortex.
2523-2524 days since leaving Earth orbit Alpha emerges unharmed from the black sun. Main Computer analyzes a star system lying just ahead and states that the moon, once again, is approaching the planet Arkadia.

2543-2565 days since leaving Earth orbit As if guided, the moon alters course and settles into a stable orbit around the planet. Koenig and Carter, in Eagle One, find their former fellow Alphans alive and well on Arkadia, and back on Alpha there is a joyous reunion. Bergman, Morrow, and the others embrace their friends and all exchange tales of the past six years.

2566 days since leaving Earth orbit The journey of Moonbase Alpha ends
2578 days since leaving Earth orbit Tony Verdeschi and Maya are married in an outdoor ceremony conducted by John Koenig. Victor Bergman, Maya's adopted 'uncle,' gives the bride away.
2604 days since leaving Earth orbit Paul Morrow and Sandra Benes are married as New Alpha's first chapel building, a structure of stone and native wood, is dedicated. Victor Bergman, having chosen to serve as New Alpha's first clergyman, conducts the wedding service.
Mar 10, 2010 days since leaving Earth orbit
Saturday
0842 Hours Victor Andrew Koenig, 7 lbs. 12 ozs., is born to parents John and Helena Koenig. His is the first birth on Arkadia in untold centuries.

versus

Opinion on the plot of the PLANET TERRA ALPHA "MESSAGE FROM MOONBASE ALPHA"
http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/...de/txmfma.html
The MOON continues, but will return in 25 years for a next generation...

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 20-08-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 20-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #17
cricket
Medical Officer

Of the two there is little comparison on the credentials of the writers... MMBA was written by the late Johnny Byrne. While many consider MMBA just a tiny step above fanfiction, it has the 'real' pedigree of being conceived and written by the creator of some of the very finest of series 1.

As far as plots, the 'happy ever after' of Shane Johnson's timeline simply does not seem to fit with the tone of series 1, or even of series 2, IMO.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #18
CR
Science Officer

Not that this little detail matters, but I always thought that if Koenig had a son as in Shane Johnson's timeline, the name Victor Alan Koenig (instead of Victor Andrew Koenig) might be nice, in honour of two of his closest friends. Just my opinion, of course.
By the way, Shane Johnson is, or was some time ago, a member here.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #19
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Where does Data Analyst Sandra Benes ""Message from Moonbase Alpha" Earth fit in this time line? It does throw a monkey wrench into the entire timeline.It does suggest the Alphans found another planet. Or you can consider the Shane Johnson's timeline frome an alternate Alpha from a parallel universe.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 21-08-2009 at 05:46 AM.
Old 23-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #20
Senmut
Eagle Pilot

I like the Arkadia Timeline. I was writing a 'what happens now" story, of Luke and Anna after Alpha drifts away, but never finished it.
I guess alot of us wonder about Arkadia.
Senmut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote