Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Default Why all the remakes?

“No-one would have believed, in the early years of the Twenty-First century, that Classic films were being watched from the accountancy-driven world of Hollywood. No-one could have dreamed that they were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few men even considered the possibility of those Classics being remade. And yet, across the gulf of Reason, imaginations immeasurably inferior to ours regarded box-office takings with envious eyes; and slowly, and surely, they drew their plans for vehicles for their clients.”

With apologies to H G Wells
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
ChrisofEDF
Medical Technician

Damn That was poetic
ChrisofEDF is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The chances of anything truly original coming from Hollywood are a million to one.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
Stu73
Communications Officer

Damn that was funny. What's not funny though is that it's true

Where are all the Shakespearos?
Stu73 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Man, you pegged it! Now if you'll just make the rest of the film.....
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Because Hollywood does not have an original idea that may payoff .

Last edited by eaglewingone; 05-09-2009 at 07:15 AM.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

As I mentioned in a previous thread somewhere, I think that remakes of classic films are worthwhile if the remake alters the story in some way to the original (as was the case with the recent 'Planet of the Apes' remake film), but are not worthwhile if the remake merely copies the original (as was the case with the recent 'The Omen' remake film).

I would apply the same argument to cover versions of pop songs - eg UB40 did a worthwhile cover of Elvis Presley's 'Can't Help Falling In Love' by doing it reggae style and faster.
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
I think that remakes of classic films are worthwhile if the remake alters the story in some way to the original (as was the case with the recent 'Planet of the Apes' remake film),
Yes, possibly not the best choice of movie to illustrate the point with.

Could never understand why the Lincoln Memorial had a statue of General Thade, an Ape that had not yet been born, or why Gorilla Policemen would be getting out of car that was clearly not designed for gorillas being much too small for them.

... or the logic behind a horseshoe shaped space station that launched one chimp pods inwards rather than outwards..

...or why the chimp at the start launches in one pod but turns up later in the film in another...

...or...
Old 05-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Return To The Planet Of The Apes

It is hard to surpass this surprise ending(it is Earth) from the original PLANET OF THE APES 1968 movie! Although they never explained why Earth's Moon was gone.
Perhaps SPACE:1999 "Breakaway" is the explanation!

Tim Burton's disappointing PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie ending with Earth 2029 A.D. the Lincoln Memorial had a statue of General Thade should have been the first scene in the movie not the last. Burton set up a sequel with that scene that was never planned to be. Tim Burton's PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie should have begin with that scene the Lincoln Memorial had a statue of General Thade on Earth 2029 A.D. then spent the next three Acts explaining....

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 09-09-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

yes, but what about that classic play on words as homage to the original movie - where the gorilla says -"Get your hands off me, you dirty stinking HUMAN', instead of the original movie's line "Get your hands off me, you dirty stinking APE."
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

John Carpenter's remake of "The Thing" would be a better example although I like the old one too.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #12
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
Tim Burton's disappointing PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie ending with Earth 2029 A.D. the Lincoln Memorial had a statue of General Thade should have been the first scene in the movie not the last. Burton set up a sequel with that scene that was never planned to be. Tim Burton's PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie should have begin with that scene the Lincoln Memorial had a statue of General Thade on Earth 2029 A.D. then spent the next three Acts explaining....
They are making a new POTA that is in pre-production. The movie is suppose to take place after "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" and before "Battle for the Planet of the Apes".This is to bring back continuity to the series.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 06-09-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Yes, "Get your hands off me, you dirty stinking HUMAN', instead of the original movie's line "Get your hands off me, you dirty stinking APE." in Planet of the Apes 2001 movie was a good line....but just a good line.

Yes, I agree. Both the original THING From Another World 1951 movie and John Carpenter's THING 1982 movie were great! However, the new Ron Moore's THING movie...I think it is a prequel to the 1982 movie....will it be good?

The Return To The Planet Of The Apes 1975-76 Animated TV series and the Planet Of The Apes 1974-75 TV series both were better than the Planet of the Apes 2001 movie.

Although, the U.S.A.F. OBERON SPACE RESEARCH STATION with the PODs was interesting.
Planet of the Apes 2001 movie the casting was a major problem too!

I am wondering about the new PLANET OF THE APES movie in production now is it truly a sequel to CONQUEST and a prequel to BATTLE?

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 06-09-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Yes, "Get your hands off me, you dirty stinking HUMAN', instead of the original movie's line "Get your hands off me, you dirty stinking APE." in Planet of the Apes 2001 movie was a good line....but just a good line.

Yes, I agree. Both the original THING From Another World 1951 movie and John Carpenter's THING 1982 movie were great! However, the new Ron Moore's THING movie...I think it is a prequel to the 1982 movie....will it be good?

The Return To The Planet Of The Apes 1975-76 Animated TV series and the Planet Of The Apes 1974-75 TV series both were better than the Planet of the Apes 2001 movie.

Although, the U.S.A.F. OBERON SPACE RESEARCH STATION with the PODs was interesting.
Planet of the Apes 2001 movie the casting was a major problem too!

I am wondering about the new PLANET OF THE APES movie in production now is it truly a sequel to CONQUEST and a prequel to BATTLE?

Although I’m a big fan of Tim Burton, I have to admit that his re-envisioning of Planet of the Apes could very well be one of the worst remakes ever perpetrated on cinema. 20th Century Fox supposedly had big plans for the franchise, but after the first one was so reviled across the board, they never even bothered trying to go any further with it. I guess it’s a little bit surprising considering that the fan base is pretty huge, and would likely still show up if they could find a director to do things right (Tim Burton’s flick still grossed $360 million worldwide).

Well, it looks like there’s a chance that we could eventually be getting another Planet of the Apes movie after all. CHUD caught wind of a new Apes prequel that is being talked about at Fox by the name of Genesis: Apes. It’s a script that was written by Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (The Relic), and is essentially a remake of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, telling the story of Caesar, the first ape who stood up to human slavery and eventually lead a widespread revolt that resulted in the apes seizing power on Earth. Whether or not this actually has a shot at getting greenlit is still unclear, but I think it’s safe to say that Tim Burton and Mark Wahlberg wouldn’t have anything to do with it. That alone might be enough to convince fans that this is a project worth pursuing. Heck, I’d love to see it happen, but from the sound of it, the script is just a little too smart and hits too close to home in these politically-charged times. Apparently people don’t want politics in their genre movies anymore, which is just a sad statement indeed.

http://www.filmjunk.com/2008/11/03/n...n-development/

New 'Planet of the Apes' Movie?

During this past weekend's “Channel of the Apes” event on the Fox Movie Channel, Fox Chairman Tom Rothman made a surprise announcement to the ape-faithful, saying: “We are very close at Fox on a new Apes script. This one of a kind prequel story set before the first movie marks a return to the social thematics that marked the first one, but with an entirely contemporary setting, Earth 2009.”

A search of ape-centric and film development Websites brings up a recent article on CHUD about a movie script entitled Genesis: Apes. Written by Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver, Genesis: Apes is a remake of sorts of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, which was a “prequel” to the original POTA. Released in 1972 Conquest was the 4th POTA film, and the most violent as it traced the rise of the ape civilization and the revolution that left the hairier primates in charge.

According to CHUD there are number of key differences between Conquest and Genesis, though the key ape protagonist in each film is known as Caesar. In Conquest however, in a massive temporal paradox Caesar’s parents are the 40th Century talking apes Cornelius and Zira, while in Genesis Caesar is the result of genetic engineering. Also Conquest was set in a dystopian fascist America (in 1991), so the apes overthrew a corrupt authoritarian regime, while Genesis: Apes is set in the present.

If the Genesis: Apes script does get greenlit, it will resurrect a franchise that many thought Tim Burton killed with his lackluster 2001 remake of the original Planet of the Apes.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13834.html

Last edited by eaglewingone; 06-09-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #15
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default I, agree. Tim Burton and Mark Wahlberg killed PLANET OF THE APES

Tim Burton and Mark Wahlberg killed PLANET OF THE APES in the 2001 movie.
Even in cameo roles Charlton Heston, Linda Harrison could not save this movie...if only Kim Hunter was asked...or if Roddy McDowall or James Franciscus were still alive to appear???? !
Tim Burton did not even try(no edge at all to this movie) to reboot the PLANET OF THE APES franchise the way we just saw the reboot of STAR TREK 2009 movie....the way Tim Burton rebooted of the BATMAN franchise in 1989 movie.

Tim Burton got the project away from the Hughes Bros. I would have rather the Albert & Allen Hughes(directed "FROM HELL" 2001 movie starring Johnny Depp) had directed the PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie. The Hughes Bros. would have made an intense movie for the PLANET OF THE APES franchise.... I am sure there would have been several more PLANET OF THE APES movies sequels already between 2001 and 2009, had a creative director done the 2001 movie...instead of Tim Burton whom just 'phoned' it in for the pay check?????? How can Tim Burton that is known for his dark visions have created such a tame bland safe PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie?

Tim's dark visions were there,the talented director Tim Burton's SLEEPY HOLLOW 1999 movie is more dangerous!

Tim's dark visions are missing , I know Tim Burton's PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie was tame bland safe !

Tim's dark visions returned,the talented director Tim Burton's SWEENEY TODD 2007 movie is more dangerous!

Tim's dark visions returned,the talented director Tim Burton's ALICE IN WONDERLAND 2010 movie is more dangerous!

How can Tim Burton that is known for his dark visions have created such a tame bland safe PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie?

Here is an interesting new book on the PLANET OF THE APES franchise:

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 07-09-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Planet of the Apes 2001 movie rated G?

How can Tim Burton that is known for his dark visions have created such a tame bland safe PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie?

Where is the Tarzan wardrobe for the humans in PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie?

PLANET OF THE APES 1968 movie

BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES 1970 movie

PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie...maybe Mark Wahlberg had it in his contract...no TARZAN wardrobe? But why couldn't the women (ESTELLA WARREN) in PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie have been dressed like 'Tarzan & Jane' Wardrobe of the original Nova from PLANET OF THE APES 1968 movie and BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES 1970 movie?

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 07-09-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:01 AM   #17
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:

Tim Burton and Mark Wahlberg killed PLANET OF THE APES in the 2001 movie.
Even in cameo roles Charlton Heston, Linda Harrison could not save this movie...if only Kim Hunter was asked...or if Roddy McDowall or James Franciscus were still alive to appear???? !
Tim Burton did not even try(no edge at all to this movie) to reboot the PLANET OF THE APES franchise the way we just saw the reboot of STAR TREK 2009 movie....the way Tim Burton rebooted of the BATMAN franchise in 1989 movie.

Tim Burton got the project away from the Hughes Bros. I would have rather the Albert & Allen Hughes(directed "FROM HELL" 2001 movie starring Johnny Depp) had directed the PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie. The Hughes Bros. would have made an intense movie for the PLANET OF THE APES franchise.... I am sure there would have been several more PLANET OF THE APES movies sequels already between 2001 and 2009, had a creative director done the 2001 movie...instead of Tim Burton whom just 'phoned' it in for the pay check?????? How can Tim Burton that is known for his dark visions have created such a tame bland safe PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie?

Tim's dark visions were there,the talented director Tim Burton's SLEEPY HOLLOW 1999 movie is more dangerous!

Tim's dark visions are missing , I know Tim Burton's PLANET OF THE APES 2001 movie was tame bland safe !

Tim's dark visions returned,the talented director Tim Burton's SWEENEY TODD 2007 movie is more dangerous!

Tim's dark visions returned,the talented director Tim Burton's ALICE IN WONDERLAND 2010 movie is more dangerous!

Here is an interesting new book on the PLANET OF THE APES franchise:
I know Rich. He gave me the heads up on the book and was in communication with him while writing the book.I was one of the first to review the book. He is a very nice man who is extremely knowledgeable and a authority in the world of POTA.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 08-09-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #18
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Excellent book!

Old 09-09-2009, 05:25 AM   #19
Munchie
Travel Tube Technician

Default Back to the original question…

You’ve all gotten bogged down in minutia and circular arguments. Take a big step back, waaaaaay back, and reconsider MkIXHawk’s original question.

“Why all the remakes?”

It really boils down to the tendency of children of the Sixties – children whose sensibilities were formed in what we call the “Sixties” (parts of the 1960s and 1970s, really) – to rebel against their parents, even hate their parents, or at the very least to believe that they can IMPROVE UPON EVERYTHING THEIR PARENTS DID.

We are now suffering with the products of those children… especially those children with ‘artsy’ proclivities who might grow up to make movies.

I don’t mean to be too ‘specific’ in this, i.e. I don’t suggest that Cecil B. DeMille’s own son remakes the father’s film… It’s a generational thing.

But, while it is natural for every generation to want to improve on the earlier work by BUILDING UPON it, the 60s kids have an inherent disrespect of their elders’ work that drives them to REPLACE it, instead.
Munchie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #20
StrakersWig
Life Support Technician

Re: Planet of the Apes

It has been pointed out in the past that the Astronauts should have realised they were on earth the moment they heard the apes speak English.

That apart from the abundant clues from uniquely evolved flora and fauna, the moon, star patterns etc.
StrakersWig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote