SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 14-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
CR
Science Officer

Default Space: 1999 comics reprinted & remastered

Hey, all...
On the S99 Aftershock thread, scatta pointed out that there are plans for the old S99 comics to be re-released soon. I decided that such a topic deserves its own thread! Kicking it off is scatta's original post, quoted here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatta View Post
We are going to be in for a treat with the comics:

From Drew:-
"...But these will not be straight reprints, these will be remastered.The art will be corrected where the ships were drawn wrong, and character likenesses will be altered as well to fit the continuity (and legality) better. Finally, the stories will be remastered as well - essentially, taking the same premise of each story and updating them to appeal to an adult 1999 audience while maintaining the spirit of the originals."

And look how good the colourisation is:-

My response was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
A Space: 1999 comics renaissance. Bring it on!
Let's carry on the discussion here. (If it wasn't obvious, I can't wait to see this project completed!)

Last edited by CR; 14-02-2011 at 04:37 PM.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
scatta
Astrophysics Technician

Just to clarify, the comics are being 'remastered' by 'Blam! Ventures'
Drew Gaska (CEO & visionary) plans to go further than the Charlton comics and take on the German & Italians ones aswell - if fact, in Drew's words: "We are actually reprinting all space:1999 comics ever made"
scatta is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
CR
Science Officer

Oh, BLAM!'s doing this? Cool. I recognise the name, and I know I've seen some of their stuff in the past. I got out of comics several years ago, but off and on I'll grab a few things to fill in gaps in my collection; in so doing, I occasionally try a few 'new' mini series or one-shots, and that's likely how I came across their stuff. (I don't know what you think needed clarifying, scatta, unless you thought that I thought you yourself were doing the remastering... I was simply copying your announcement of it, not giving you credit for the project. Anyway, thanks for bringing it to our attention and for relaying Drew's comments!)

I applaud the effort to do all the comics; this is like a dream come true for S99 comics fans!

Last edited by CR; 15-02-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 15-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
scatta
Astrophysics Technician

CR when I re-read my post I presumed not everyone would realise I was expanding on poopsville's post about Blam!'s announcements - hence the clarification.

Drew is now in contact with Bernie so there will be some information coming soon!
scatta is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
CR
Science Officer

Ah, I see.

And ooo, looking forward to more updates! (Thanks again.)

Old 16-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
VoyagerOne
Hydroponics Technician

I don't think I ever read any of the original Space: 1999 comics, most likely because I wasn't much of a comics fan in my youth, though I do remember reading through a few other titles. Thirty or more years later, I've found myself branching more into graphic novels and the odd manga (Ghost in the Shell; Appleseed). I'm looking forward to when these remastered Space: 1999 comics come out, especially with their rich colours. Wonder if they'll be released in individual comic or book comic form (ie collection of individual comics).
VoyagerOne is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

nice work ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerOne View Post
I don't think I ever read any of the original Space: 1999 comics, most likely because I wasn't much of a comics fan in my youth, though I do remember reading through a few other titles. Thirty or more years later, I've found myself branching more into graphic novels and the odd manga (Ghost in the Shell; Appleseed). I'm looking forward to when these remastered Space: 1999 comics come out, especially with their rich colours. Wonder if they'll be released in individual comic or book comic form (ie collection of individual comics).
Does the term 'omnibus' apply to comic books, as well as prose books? Anyway, I understand what you mean. I rather hope for omnibus editions, just to save on shelf space & the time it will take to get a complete set.
Old 16-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

Oh Yeah! This is great!
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
gwent
Computer Technician

Very good news indeed. Especially excited about the German & Italian comics as well. Will these actually be available in stores in the US or will they need to be ordered online?
gwent is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
ultra
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatta View Post
Drew Gaska (CEO & visionary) plans to go further than the Charlton comics and take on the German & Italians ones aswell
I'm not sure what is meant by that, as the Italian comics were strictly reprints of a few of the German comics.
ultra is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #12
Andrew Kearley
Hydroponics Technician

This thing about the art being "corrected" is a bit stupid, isn't it? I know of a lot of people who would probably buy this, but won't be because they've been tampered with.
Andrew Kearley is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
BLAM! Venturer
Hydroponics Technician

Hey everyone, Just thought I'd address some issues on this board!

This is how we see it at BLAM! - the stories in the SPACE:1999 comic series were written with children in mind and/or without a true understanding of the series itself. Some of the creators involved didnt even get to see the show before working on the comic, and weren't even given much to go on! Reference for characters, ships, and other SPACE:1999 staples weren't always in the hands of the writers and artists - and this has led to some bizarre 'non canon' situations.

Believe me, I understand the value of preserving the original works. I have done archival restoration of comic and pulp art for Vanguard Productions - in many cases bringing back to life art that would have faded into obscurity if we hadn't restored it - with the originals and films being destroyed over the decades.

It has come to my attention, however - that most SPACE 1999 fans own many of these works in their original form - and SPACE:1999 as it stands right now is not a mass market consideration, but rather has a focused and hardcore fanbase.

BLAM! is going about restoring and renewing the work, changing it to appeal to adult sensibilities and correcting any slip ups that (in some cases) the original artists themselves have been embarrassed by over the years simply because they weren't provided the tools to make it look right at the time. This will give the fans something new and fresh out of something old.

Also, please understand - I am NOT a fan of the Star Wars Special Editions. The additions and changes to those films are ham-fisted and do not flow with the original work. The changes we are making to the SPACE:1999 comics are being done with care and reverence for the original material, as well as a deep seated love for the television series.

These remastered editions will be released as six large volumes, all in hardcover, and cover the Charlton b&w books, the Charlton color series, the LOOK IN issues, the UK ANNUALS, and the german/italian stories - bringing everything together for the first time.

Finally, if sales of the restored and remastered editions are good enough, we will release black and white editions of the original unaltered art and stories as well, similar to the Marvel "ESSENTIALS" and DC "SHOWCASE" line.

I hope this clears up a few things.

Thanks!

Last edited by BLAM! Venturer; 26-02-2011 at 03:37 PM.
BLAM! Venturer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
stiki
Geological Technician

Great Stuff! Can't wait to see all the stories together - particularly the "Look-In" Comic Strips which I grew up with here in the UK!
stiki is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #15
sigspace
Weapons Technician

Please may I ask what the timescale is for these publications?
Thanks
SIGSPACE

Last edited by sigspace; 26-02-2011 at 06:22 PM.
sigspace is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #16
BLAM! Venturer
Hydroponics Technician

Volume 1, which is the first half of the Charlton b&w books restored and remastered, will be out this coming fall (2011). It is my hope that we can release 2 additional volumes a year, with the entire run will be completed by late 2013 or mid 2014.
BLAM! Venturer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kearley View Post
This thing about the art being "corrected" is a bit stupid, isn't it? I know of a lot of people who would probably buy this, but won't be because they've been tampered with.
Some might argue that re-ordering the running order of the episodes is 'stupid,' as well, but I personally think using such a harsh word to describe such an act is not really necessary. One is free to ignore the new version of the episode re-ordering, the revised artwork of a comic, and so on. The originals are not being destroyed in either case; this just gives the viewer/reader more options to choose from.

There are critics of Eric Bernard's Space: 2099 project, which attempts to breathe new life into the S99 franchise by remastering the SFX and re-ordering the episodes to make a more coherent continuing story arc. I enjoy many of the SFX fixes, don't agree with all the ordering changes while liking some of them, and generally like the idea of the project... it's better than S99 just fading into the dustbin of history, and is simply another take on the thing, to be enjoyed or ignored like anything else. As in the earlier examples, the originals are still out there as they were.

Since the Star Wars thing got brought up, I fall somewhere between the 'love it/hate it' camps. I didn't mind some of the SFX upgrades, but I agree that some were unnecessary and simply 'show off' CGI, rather than enhance the story. Some SFX fixes were actually welcome, but (and I've said this before) the 'Greedo-shoots-first' thing was the dumbest bit of revisionism ever!

Anyway, I look forward to this new comic project, but I certainly would also love to see the originals reprinted as they were, too. I think having a 'before and after' set would do the most justice to the body of work as a whole, and would give everyone a chance to see things that have been lost/forgotten for so long alongside the newer interpretation.
Old 26-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #18
CR
Science Officer

By the way, Eric Bernard was not the only one working on a revised episode order; Andrew Kearley had started a detailed revised episode guide of his own some time ago, which--for the record--I actually was enjoying. I lost the link long ago, and know that updates were infrequent back when I lost touch. Any word from anyone on updates? Thanks. EDITED TO ADD: Nevermind, a quick search yielded the info I needed; site's bookmarked now. (No updates since last year, though... pity!)

Back to the comic topic...

Last edited by CR; 26-02-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 26-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #19
Andrew Kearley
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Some might argue that re-ordering the running order of the episodes is 'stupid,' as well, but I personally think using such a harsh word to describe such an act is not really necessary. One is free to ignore the new version of the episode re-ordering, the revised artwork of a comic, and so on. The originals are not being destroyed in either case; this just gives the viewer/reader more options to choose from.
Poor choice of words perhaps. Though really I'm just repeating the comments I've heard elsewhere. Fans of seventies comics who would have been interested in a nice cleaned-up collection, but presenting the original artwork as drawn - because that's what they're interested in (era, style, particular artists, etc). So like you, I guess a untampered-with collection is what they're after (and it seems they might get it if all goes well). Personally, I've never owned the original comics either, so it wouldn't be a case of having anything to compare it to.
Old 26-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #20
Andrew Kearley
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
By the way, Eric Bernard was not the only one working on a revised episode order; Andrew Kearley had started a detailed revised episode guide of his own some time ago, which--for the record--I actually was enjoying. I lost the link long ago, and know that updates were infrequent back when I lost touch. Any word from anyone on updates? Thanks. EDITED TO ADD: Nevermind, a quick search yielded the info I needed; site's bookmarked now. (No updates since last year, though... pity!)
I'd have the link in my signature, but I don't seem to be able to have one. Anyway, for those interested, it's this: http://www.eyespider.freeserve.co.uk/space/content.html
I've had a lot of things on the go (I'm editing a Doctor Who fanzine for instance which takes up a bit of time) - so it's fallen a bit behind. I'm working on the next few chapters at the moment, hope to have something up in the next month or so. Keep an eye out for it.