Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 12-09-2009, 01:34 AM   #1
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Default Season Two DEFENDER!!!

Ok, I'm about sick and tired of people trashing season two!! Let's air this out!

I LOVE it!! OK??

Exiles!! Great stuff!!

Journey to Where!! Love it!!

New Adam New Eve!! I'll watch it anytime!

Brian the Brain, Catacombs, Chrysalis....Love 'em!

Do I need to mention "Bringers of Wonder"!!!???? The only "to be continued" episode of Space 1999!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!

Lambda, Seance, Devils, Immunity, and lastly..........

DORCONS!!! Where, 15 years before STTNG even went on the air, the Dorcon Queen looks at the screen and says "Resistance is Futile!"

Please, 2 has it's flaws: Tony, Maya, Monsters, etc....but I STILL LOVE IT!!

VTracy is hearby calling out to all season 2 lovers to be heard NOW!!

Revolt!!! Overthrow the "Only season one is worthy" royalty!!

Join me, and together we can rule the Galaxy!!!

Oh, sorry, that's from something else!
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:09 AM   #2
blondgod
Geological Technician

I'm an out and proud Year 2 fan.
blondgod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

SPACE:1999 Season#1 was great and I always thought Season#2 1976 was great too! I loved the Production Design , SETS and scripts that were added to the series in the second year:

The Metamorph
The Exiles
Journey to Where
One Moment of Humanity
Brian the Brain
New Adam, New Eve
The Mark of Archanon
The Rules of Luton
All That Glisters
The Taybor
Seed of Destruction
The AB Chrysalis
Catacombs of the Moon
Space Warp
A Matter of Balance
The Beta Cloud
The Lambda Factor
The Bringers of Wonder (1)
The Bringers of Wonder (2)
The Seance Spectre
Dorzak
Devil's Planet
The Immunity Syndrome
The Dorcons

Brilliantly creative SETS of Season#1 including these 'guest' sets:
Nuclear Generating Area "Force Of Life""Alpha Child"
Hydroponics Unit 2 "Troubled Spirit"

"Guardian Of Piri"

Equally, brilliantly creative SETS of Season#2 including these 'guest' sets:
LAUNCH PAD 6 RESEARCH STATION "Exiles"
LAUNCH PAD 4 HANGAR CONTROL ROOM "Space Warp"

For better or worse, MAYA was just Space:1999's SPOCK or Buck Rogers 1979-1981 Season #2 HAWK. I always could look past the character to still enjoy Season#2.

VTracy , I agree with you. I am one of those SPACE:1999 fans that likes both Season#1 and Season#2!

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 12-09-2009 at 03:54 AM.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
blondgod
Geological Technician

Maya was most definitely NOT Spock. The character may have started out that way (resident alien), but Catherine Schell's performance transcended the one dimensional, emotionless alien/Spock. Schell was really wonderful and added so much more to the role. I also think Tony Anholt was a real asset to Year 2. It's not his or Catherine's fault that Freiberger and ITC lowered the intellect level during the season. When a first and second season of a new series are THAT different, there are bound to be differing opinions. But there's no denying that Catherine and Tony added some really interesting things to the series.
blondgod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Of course Season 2 was great - it had YASKO

SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTracy View Post
Do I need to mention "Bringers of Wonder"!!!???? The only "to be continued" episode of Space 1999!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!
Agreed - that was my favourite ever Space 1999 story - very much a forerunner to the 'Matrix' in my opinion with its theme of 'realities'...
Old 12-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Season 1 versus Season 2 ?
Difficult choice.
Very much depends on whether you prefer seeing women wearing trousers or seeing women wearing skirts and knee boots
Old 12-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default I agree.

blondgod I agree "(Maya)The character may have started out that way (resident alien), but Catherine Schell's performance transcended the one dimensional, emotionless alien/Spock. Schell was really wonderful and added so much more to the role. I also think Tony Anholt was a real asset to Year 2."

I just meant Maya was added as the resident alien. However, I think Catherine Schell did an excellent job creating the character from more than words on a page of a script.

Tony and Maya were great together...an ongoing relationship
Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default It would have been interesting if Victor , Kano & Paul had been kept fpr Season#2

It would have been interesting if Victor , Kano & Paul had been kept fpr Season#2. I would have loved to have seen the banter between Maya, Victor & Kano... or between Paul Morrow and Tony regarding security matters.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default It would have been interesting if Victor , Kano & Paul had been kept for Season#2

It would have been interesting if Victor , Kano & Paul had been kept for Season#2. I would have loved to have seen the banter over scientific & computer matters between Maya, Victor & Kano... or between Paul Morrow and Tony regarding security matters.

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 12-09-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
It would have been interesting if Victor , Kano & Paul had been kept for Season#2.
Agreed - it was a shame there was a 'mass cull' at the end of season 1.

In an interview with SFX magazine in the October 2008 edition, Prentis Hancock (Paul) was asked if he was ever told why he was dropped, to which he replied "No. I was quite surprised, because my first indication was people like Nick and Zenia phoning me from Pinewood going, 'Why aren't you here? We need you!' "
Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

SPACE:1999 Season#2 characters Tony & Maya joining the returning Kano, Paul & Victor would have been brilliant! The character interaction would have been extremely exciting.

You are correct, it was a shame that we lost Victor, Kano & Paul at the end of Season# 1 .

Even worse that we lost Victor, Kano & Paul at the end of Season# 1 with no on screen explanation stated

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 12-09-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

The inclusion of Barry Morse and Professor Bergman in Year Two, and the potential interactions between Bergman and Maya, would have been fascinating. Especially because Morse and Schell had previously worked together (The Adventurer) and were on friendly terms with each other. Their reunion in 2000 at the NYC convention was charming, and they had a natural rapport with each other.

As to the thread's topic - I am proudly a fan of SPACE: 1999. And in my estimation that series had two seasons. I am therefore a fan of all of it. Do I have preferences within the 48 episodes? Absolutely! Some are brilliant (see "Another Time, Another Place" and many more) and some are terrible (see "The Mark of Archanon").

It's fair to say that my overall consideration of the series does rank Year One above Year Two. But that's not to say I dislike Year Two. I don't - many of the episodes are great fun. The two seasons are so vastly different that it's unfair to compare them in the way that has divided fans over the decades, and unfortunately still does.

As Koenig said, "We're all aliens until we get to know each other." The bashing of Year Two is counter-productive, and can be hurtful to fans who prefer the second season. The least Year One fans should do is be respectful and acknowledge that we're all part of the same Alphan family.

As in families, a little good natured ribbing, or a considered debate, is one thing. Being insulting is something else.
CalgaryAlphan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 02:53 AM   #14
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Absolutely!

CalgaryAlphan you stated the situation exactly correct.
Old 13-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
Azantihighlightning
Life Support Technician

While agreeing completely with the sentiments in the last two posts, I have to say, working in the media, that Season 2 quite obviously suffered from heavy producer interference. Many of changes came about as a result of what was perceived as a better way of selling the series to the American markets. While some interesting elements were added, I think the show lost far more than it gained and I say that meaning no offence to those who hold it dear to their hearts and prehaps I am more criticial than some would be on this issue, but overall, though it had some good moments and good episodes I have to rate the second season as the reason for the downfall of a show which I felt could have run for at least one more season.

I also think the failure to explain character departures having spent so much screentime establishing them within both the base and to us the audience, was a gross mistake (I was told some producer said at a meeting 'After the first episode of the new season, no one will remember them' erm..... really?) and quite insulting to audience intelligence. I was only a kid then, but I kept asking myself where they were?

Bringers of Wonder was superb though.
Azantihighlightning is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #16
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

I like season 2 very much as well. But I just can't bring myself to say anything good about The Rules of Luton and All that Glisters....sorry but just utter tat!

DOug
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #17
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default SPACE:1999 Season#3 was going to happen in 1977

SPACE:1999 Season#3 was going to happen in 1977. However, I believe according to Martin Landau...Lew Grade I.T.C. instead cancelled the renewed SPACE:1999 for Season#3. He said that the budget for SPACE:1999 Season#3 was instead used for movies that Lew Grade I.T.C. were producing at the time. What a loss. Blame Lew Grade I.T.C. for the early demise of SPACE:1999.
Old 13-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #18
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

You're absolutely right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azantihighlightning View Post
While agreeing completely with the sentiments in the last two posts, I have to say, working in the media, that Season 2 quite obviously suffered from heavy producer interference. Many of changes came about as a result of what was perceived as a better way of selling the series to the American markets. While some interesting elements were added, I think the show lost far more than it gained and I say that meaning no offence to those who hold it dear to their hearts and prehaps I am more criticial than some would be on this issue, but overall, though it had some good moments and good episodes I have to rate the second season as the reason for the downfall of a show which I felt could have run for at least one more season.

I also think the failure to explain character departures having spent so much screentime establishing them within both the base and to us the audience, was a gross mistake (I was told some producer said at a meeting 'After the first episode of the new season, no one will remember them' erm..... really?) and quite insulting to audience intelligence. I was only a kid then, but I kept asking myself where they were?

Bringers of Wonder was superb though.
Year Two also suffered from decreased budget and a shortened filming time. And there's nothing wrong with stating those facts.

I think the basic premise of Space: 1999 could run for as many seasons as the various Star Trek series have run for. Shame Year Three never materialized. Who knows, it could have been a balance between the first two seasons? (Or they could have added a brainiac whiz-kid, and a wise-cracking robot to the cast... )
CalgaryAlphan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #19
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Yes.

SPACE:1999 Season#3 would have found balance of the best of Season#1 and the best of Season#2.
Old 14-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #20
cmdrkoenig67
Eagle Pilot

I happen to enjoy The Metamorph, The Exiles, Journey to Where, The AB Chrysalis, The Lambda Factor, The Seance Spectre, The Immunity Syndrome, Bringers of Wonder and The Dorcons...But that's about it.

Can't stand Season Two music, however...I think it's just awful.

Dana

Last edited by cmdrkoenig67; 14-09-2009 at 09:32 AM.
cmdrkoenig67 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote