Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Cyberschizoid
Waste Technician

Default SPACE:1999 SEASON 3 - WHAT IF..?

In a parallel universe, "Space:1999" has been given the go ahead for a third season of 24 episodes.

If you were given the job of Producer, what would you do to make this third season a success?

Give as much info as you like - any changes in set design, cast, music, episode plotlines.

The year is 1977, and you have been told that season 3 will begin airing mid 1978. Your budget is lower than season one, but higher than season two!

OK, have fun and let's imagine Space:1999 Season 3 !!!!!!
Cyberschizoid is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
cricket
Medical Officer

Rehire Barry Morse, Prentis Hancock and Suzanne Roquette. I'd like to see Clifton Jones, also, but I'd leave him off the roster to keep Catherine Schell. I'd keep Tony Anholt as eye candy if nothing else, but narrow Verdeschi's focus to chief of security.

Return to Main Mission, tone down all that orange, but keep the series two uniforms. Really, really, really cut down on the monster of the week, and get rid of all those silly rubber monster costumes.

And most importantly... bring back Johnny Byrne and Christopher Penfold. That in and of itself would have put the series back on track to longevity.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

John and Helena have children.
Tony and Maya have children.
Lots of other couples have children.
Children grow up.
Season 3 is then followed up by 'Space 1999 - The Next Generation' and so the franchise lives on (well it worked for Star Trek didn't it)
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

LOTS MORE SCREEN-TIME FEATURING YASKO
Old 21-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

The Solarium becomes a much bigger feature as it is integral to the plot-line of each episode

eg John and other heads of department hold their meetings in the Solarium while scantily clad babes wander about in the background

eg jovial banter at the end of each episode is filmed in the Solarium...

Well, that should ensure that ratings figures are boosted, at any rate

Old 21-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Cyberschizoid
Waste Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
John and Helena have children.
Tony and Maya have children.
Lots of other couples have children.
Children grow up.
Season 3 is then followed up by 'Space 1999 - The Next Generation' and so the franchise lives on (well it worked for Star Trek didn't it)
Well, I suppose they'll need somebody to keep flying those Eagles in years to come!
Cyberschizoid is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Make Season 3 in 3-D and market it as Season 3-D, with the slogan -

"Moon torn out of Earth orbit and into Space - in yer face."

Now that would have been awesome - lots of Eagle explosions and debris flying right out of the screen at you
Old 21-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
steve36uk
Communications Officer

Quote:
The Solarium becomes a much bigger feature as it is integral to the plot-line of each episode

eg John and other heads of department hold their meetings in the Solarium while scantily clad babes wander about in the background

eg jovial banter at the end of each episode is filmed in the Solarium...

Well, that should ensure that ratings figures are boosted, at any rate

Well certainly by one in in the London area!!!!!!!!!!
Oddly all none Solaruim scenes ended up on the cutting room floor....
steve36uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Include an episode called 'The Rules of Luton Revisited' in which John and Maya return with a chain saw to Luton and chop down those annoying talking trees
Old 21-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Include an episode called 'The Rules of Luton Revisited' in which John and Maya return with a chain saw to Luton and chop down those annoying talking trees
...whilst singing "There is trouble in the forest..." (from the Rush song 'Trees,' in case no one understands the reference)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 22-09-2009, 02:54 AM   #11
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Brilliant Season#3 ideas, I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
Rehire Barry Morse, Prentis Hancock and Suzanne Roquette. I'd like to see Clifton Jones, also, but I'd leave him off the roster to keep Catherine Schell. I'd keep Tony Anholt as eye candy if nothing else, but narrow Verdeschi's focus to chief of security.

Return to Main Mission, tone down all that orange, but keep the series two uniforms. Really, really, really cut down on the monster of the week, and get rid of all those silly rubber monster costumes.

And most importantly... bring back Johnny Byrne and Christopher Penfold. That in and of itself would have put the series back on track to longevity.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 04:32 AM   #12
CaptainOchre
Geological Technician

Bring back all the season one characters, but keep Maya and Tony. Give the show a larger budget, returning to more Season One style sets, with the explanation for all this being that a wormhole had damaged part of Alpha, forcing them below ground and transporting the missing Season One characters off into deep space. The Season Premiere would feature Alpha completing repairs to the upper levels as they find the missing Alphans stranded on a planet, struggling to survive. After that, the being who made the wormhole speaks, though unseen, saying that it has returned the Alphans to "the correct path". The Season ends with the Alphans finding a planet they can live on after a battle which nearly destroys Alpha. Half of the Alphans leave whilst the remaining crew, mostly younger people who have lived most of their lives on Alpha take command of the base, repairing it with salvaged alien tech whilst the others prepare to live out lives on this new planet, hoping to live out normal lives.
CaptainOchre is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #13
lapuce033
Waste Technician

Wasn't there already season 3 scripts written when the show was cancelled??? If so what are those scripts and do they still exist?
lapuce033 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapuce033 View Post
Wasn't there already season 3 scripts written when the show was cancelled???
That's probably just wishful thinking (unless anyone out there knows otherwise or even has such an item ?).

During Year 2, there were also plans to do a spinoff series featuring Maya according to wikopedia. I asked Catherine Schell about this when I met her at the recent Birmingham NEC Memorabilia Show and she confirmed that yes it was true - there were such plans, but that it did not materialise in the end and she also stated that NO draft scripts exist.

That's a shame - could have been kind of like the Sarah Jane Adventures spin off from Doctor Who - and imagine the opening teaser for each episode - "Hey kids - guess what Maya is going to change into this week !"

Last edited by SPACE 1899; 27-11-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 27-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
StrakersWig
Life Support Technician

Season 3 episode 1:

The characters wake up in season 1 uniforms in Main Mission including Bergman and Morrow and it is explained that season 2 was a bad fever dream brought on by food poisoning due to Alan Carters badly friedburgers barbecue.
All is well again.
StrakersWig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 27-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #16
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

New characters,new worlds to explore,more return to earth episodes,plus The Dorcons become Alpha's continuing enemy. Imagine Verdeschi crashes on a barren planet with an injured Dorcon soldier! Or Maya and Koenig are captured by The Dorcs and put on trial for the murder of the Archon!
If it had continued,I'm pretty sure this is what would have happened...
JB
johnnybear is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
lapuce033
Waste Technician

Would have been nice to have seen the draft if any... too bad...
Old 30-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
Azantihighlightning
Life Support Technician

Seeing as I am a producer, among other things, I thought I would chuck in my ten pence worth,

I personally would like to see a Space 2099, and do a new series for a modern audience.

If it was 1977, the first post said most of it.

I would make the opener an episode called 'The worst nature of ourselves' and have the Alphans come across a floating damaged space station, which like them is populated by a group of humans who are barely surviving. The station has several platfroms from which it can launch scout ships similar to the Eagles called Locusts. The station has a limited shelf life and will soon break up unless its inhabitants find a home, the Alphans realise that Moon base cannot take on more than twenty more people and the station has 77 ocupants. So they run a lottery on Alpha to see who can stay on and who will have to remain on the dying station. The Commander of Space Station Achilles is a man called Straven (Lewis Collins) and his second in command Drake (Tony Doyle) agree to the idea, however when results don't go to everyone's liking the resort to taking Alpha themselves by force. In the ensuing conflicts several characters are killed but Tony and Maya manage to thwart the plans of the enemy by destroying the space station though they themselves are killed in the process. Some of the Achillians don't go along with the plan and help the Alphans to survive. The 15 survivors are stranded in a locust but the Alphans vote to rescue them and they join moonbase and become re-curring characters, including actor Tony Doyle. During the course of the firefight, much of the station was destroyed and needed to be rebuilt. Some of the Achilles was salvaged and reused. A new command centre is re-built using part of a ship which landed on Alpha at the beginning of the episode.

Other concepts - much as I would love to bring back Professeur Bergmen (The late great Barry Morse) unless your going for a 'Dallas in the shower, the second season was all a dream routine' then the continuity on this would seem awful.

Much as I loved Catherine Schell, you would have to get rid of her to avoid the dreaful monster of the week syndrome, and too many easy solutions to the base problems and predicaments. As the producer, I would probably also not bring back Prentis Hancock for the same reason, though I thought he out acted almost the entire cast on season one.

Characters that were more in the background would be easier to bring back in again and I would do that with as many as possible. As the Achilles and the Alphans were on opposing courses through space, the new members of Alpha are able to advise them to some extent on what is coming their way. Future episodes would see the Aphans incorporate Alien Technology which would make Alpha more sustainable.

Later it would be revealed that the Achillians were part of an empire from which they rebelled and escaped, the Alphans now realise, they will be travelling right through the middle of it.
Azantihighlightning is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:38 AM   #19
tx4
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberschizoid View Post
If you were given the job of Producer, what would you do to make this third season a success? [....] The year is 1977, and you have been told that season 3 will begin airing mid 1978. Your budget is lower than season one, but higher than season two!
Very interesting question. Okay, let me try to put myself in that situation (sort of) for a little while.

Cast

I'd definitely keep Catherine Schell (Maya) and Tony Anholt (Tony) from Y2. Two of my favorite characters, and I thought they brought a lot to the series. I'd try to re-hire the four notable cast members let go after Y1: Barry Morse (Victor), Prentis Hancock (Paul), Suzanne Roquette (Tanya), and Clifton Jones (Kano). If I couldn't get them all back, Barry Morse would be my first priority. (I have no idea what their real life acting schedules were at the time such filming would start, so some of this may be moot.) I'd assume not being able to get them all back, between schedule conflicts and a budget between Y1's and Y2's, however. So going ahead, I'll assume only some return (saying "they" means that, and might only refer to one of them).

Their loss and return could be explained in different ways, some not unlike what has already been suggested in this thread, or even more "mundane" ways, such as reassignment, severe injury, mental breakdown, etc. Whoever I could hire back, provide a brief bit of dialog acknowledging their return to "full duty" (or something like that) in the first Y3 episode, then get a DD-style "flashback" scenes in some season-neutral sets (or whatever the situation is) in a subsequent episode. Better yet, bring them back in an early Y3 episode, keeping the "flashbacks" solely for explaining their loss between Y1 and Y2. Maybe whatever it was that happened remains part of their character and or an occasional thematic thread through some subsequent plots.

Maya gets to meet Victor -- one of the most ahead-of-his-time minds on Earth meets a mind from another planet. Some conflict between Paul and Tony over their roles? Kano wonders what the heck Maya's been doing to Main Computer? Who wins second-shift watch duty, Tanya or Yasko? I'm being half serious (I've considered some of these questions already) and half joking, and again, I'm assuming I can't get them all back anyway. I know as producer I'd have to suggest some ideas for their "return" (if it happens) and point out that something has to be done regarding their loss, return, and what they find life back on return.

If I couldn't get some or even any back as regulars, maybe a (hopefully recurring) guest role for one or two -- but this would have to be over something more like illness or other on-base problem. Or if I could get Barry Morse back, but for only a year, maybe the illness aspect would play a central role in some way, explaining both his prior absence and that he'll be absent again, but in between wants to be back in a full role for as long as possible, to give all of his last for the Alphans. (Not sure if that would all work, but it's a thought.)

Regardless, I'd not spend too many episodes totally focused on this, but it could be a primary focus of one or two episodes, and the effects of all this could be revisited as a running thread now and then. There was a missed opportunity introducing Maya to Alpha, and it cannot be missed again re-introducing characters.

If I can't get any of them, continue with the Y2 cast. I'd not try bringing in yet another new major character (despite my opinion that the two primaries brought into Y2 were great additions), but maybe some of the existing secondary or even tertiary characters that work well story-wise could be "promoted" with some more screen time and/or additional dialogue. Y4, if that happens, might see a new major addition, perhaps; but not Y3.

Sets

Visually, I do prefer MM over CC, and MM's wonderful perch at the top of the base; but I have assumed (story-wise) that the Alphans moved command, as well as other key facilities and people's quarters, away from the more-exposed locations at the outer hull as a measure of safety, keeping the outer rooms in use for other purposes where people were not necessarily spending as long stretches of time as before. I suppose one could bridge a return to the Y1-style sets by explaining the outer hull has now been further reinforced or shielded. However, with the budget premise Cyberschizoid posited, I'm not sure I can "realistically" imagine having enough money to re-construct such large sets that were presumably long-gone by the end of Y2, without sacrificing other aspects.

So on both counts, story and set cost, I'd stick to CC for Y3. I'd have a writer toss in a dialogue comment at some point "explaining" the old move from MM to CC in the first place, maybe just a passing wistfulness for MM and old quarters. (Note that my "flashback" thought for explaining the cast "losses" would of course not be filmed in MM, thus my "season-neutral" statement earlier.)

A few new sets (or mostly cases of new adaptations of existing sets), if less costly, might be worth it: Maybe a small factory unit; the quarters of at least two characters of whom we've not seen quarters, or at least not since Y1's more spacious ones; a small cafeteria/restaurant; child-care facility perhaps; etc. Nothing too overboard (still got to watch the budget), but some new stuff, for sure.

And yes, definitely keep the precedent (both seasons) of some scenes set in the Solarium, I think.

Characterization (in general)

Though the Y1/Y2 border made for an abrupt break in some ways, in others, I see a natural "progression" from what I've seen as a partially mourning/shell-shocked state in Y1 to a more varied state as they, already shown as adaptable, further adjust to their new life. Yet as shell-shock, mourning, and philosophical considerations yielded to more energy as they dig into making the most of their condition, I would chart a Y3 course that would have melded the best of these approaches -- the best of both worlds, so to speak. This is somewhat thematic, as well, of course. (Getting Victor back would help, too.)

Yes, I want at least some more children appearing on screen. (I ran the numbers a couple years ago, in part here and then in more detail in my KB, and came to the conclusion that if taking each of the numbers in Breakaway, TOA, Metamorph, and DP at face value, and assuming TOA is the last episode in Y1, that canon suggests there have to already be more children on Alpha after Jackie, even within the Y1 timeframe.) Primary characters having children too would add some character and plot wrinkles, also. I'd be careful, however; to insist (in the writer's manual or whatever it's called) the child characters fit sensibly in any storylines which appear, though; but they can still be one of the major thematic thread in Y3, because the years are going by for this frontier society, after all....

Plot

Speaking of frontier society, and as much as I enjoyed the episodes where this was an element of this (some more than others), I'd probably stop any further episodes where a former Earth mission was found, or Earth contact made, at least for a long time (i.e. not in Y3 at all). As riddled as the S19 universe seems to be with strange transport phenomena, the Moon has moved at least one galaxy away by the end of Y2, and I'd imagine the "links" to/from Earth or its solar system are getting pretty low in numbers, or in production terms I'd probably think that well has been pretty well drained. However, I'd not be adverse to hearing one more such story pitch; but I'd have to be convinced.)

Don't have to end almost every episode on a note of humor (as much as I often enjoyed that) with some philosophical points thrown in, or almost every episode on a note of philosophy (with something light occasionally thrown in? I forget), but mix it up! Keep the viewers guessing on what note a story will end (i.e. episode-appropriate). I liked both styles of endings for different reasons, but no reason it has to be almost all one thing or almost all another thing.

(No more long, repeated sequences of punching unlabeled keys while under staring mindlessly while under control of something alien -- ever! Yes, we can have some unlabeled keys. Yes, people can punch them, sometimes for a short while. Yes, we can have people taken over by alien forces. Just never all in that whole, long, repeated combination again! )

Effects

The Eagles are not brand new either, and though many successful and venerable airplanes have been kept in service for decades, necessity could be the mother of invention too. Okay, Alpha's lost perhaps one of its best ship designers (Ernst Linden) but maybe his protégé picked up enough, and Alan knows the best (and worst) of Eagles well enough, wrecks are sitting on the surface, plenty of other technically-minded people, and an Alphan from another planet; but still, I think the budget for Y3 could allow for a new prototype, this time not just a glider, but a new ship, clearly of Eagle lineage yet with differences, takes first flight, maybe near the end of Y3 (hinting at more to come for Y4?)....

Otherwise, keep up the excellent work on alien ships and planets SFX, everyone!

Music

I very much enjoyed the Derek Wadsworth soundtrack, and some of it is among my favorite songs or suites. I would want to keep Wadsworth on for some of the Y3 music. That said, try to get Barry Gray back in doing more suites as well. Mix it up. Also, could they try collaborating on a new Y3 main theme? I like both (Y1's somewhat more); but as long as we've had a theme for each year so far, then a new one for Y3 as well.

Costumes

I never cared much for the Y1 version of the uniform. Keep the greater variation allowed by the Y2 uniforms. I'd not make any further changes there at all -- at first. If a Y4 happened, perhaps some change might make sense, story-wise, if the Alphans were now working strictly off clothing material grown or manufactured on base. Their uniforms are worn most regularly, and would wear out the soonest, as opposed to non-uniform clothing brought from Earth and worn infrequently. (Yes, another "frontier society" point, but maybe one to hold in reserve as more of an illustrative point rather than key thematic point.)

Other

I would take the silver lining aspect of Y2's (I assume) budget-based decision to film some pairs of otherwise unrelated episodes "concurrently" and see that sometimes giving more time to some other characters, even among the primary characters, but also some secondary characters. Not that I'm aiming for an "ensemble cast" look, and I'd want to be careful about ending up with weak stories. Complicated balance that might be difficult to implement, but worth considering at least, I think. However I would strongly argue against the actual act of concurrent filming. I think my budget should allow me to avoid that.

Also, though it sounds like I'd want to take the series on the course of a long-term framework/arc (and I would to a degree); I know this is an episodic series on television, and would want to keep discrete plots, embedding arc elements carefully in "flashbacks" (used carefully) or in bits of "reminder" or "continuity-enhancing" dialogue here and there. This could be done subtly, I think, perhaps without a "Previously" sequence. Oh, and I'd bring back the "This Episode" sequence. (Hmm, the occasional "Previously" sequence and main theme with its restored "This Episode" embed could be good "bookends" for some episodes' first scene.) Still, the opportunity to keep adding elements to Alpha's story is irresistible, and setting up for a "Next Generation" is as well, though I would stick with the current cast for as long as possible while making it evident another whole series could be spun off in the future, because we've seen hints of the future emerging in Y3 (and hopefully further seasons) of the existing series!

[Okay, end of this long-winded attempt at trying to picture myself in the place of a Y3 producer in 1977 in a "parallel universe" ]
tx4 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #20
lapuce033
Waste Technician

Default Great ideas

Nice ideas in both plots....what if.... it would be nice for a 3rd even 4th season.... maybe for 2039??? who knows...

Tags
producer, season 3, space:1999