Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 24-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
Stingray12
Medical Technician

Default Models from other classic tv series

Heres some images from thomas and friends and tugs, dos anyone know what this models were made from?

Stingray12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

cant see the pics.

I do know that the thomas models where based on Marklin gauge 1 chassis, with custom built bodies, not sure what material, probably plastic, always wondered how they got the eyes to work, some sort of servo arrangement.

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Yes, they were radio controlled.

Brace yourself but the next series of Thomas will be all CG.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post

NO!!!!!!!!
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 03:24 AM   #5
CR
Science Officer

Yeah, what cricket just said. ^
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-09-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Leave Thomas alone!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Yeah, what cricket just said. ^
What the...!!??****

First they make us go metric, then euro, but this is too much!!!!

Thomas CGI, they have GOT to be kidding, is nothing sacred???

Cap'n
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
Stingray12
Medical Technician

I think the TUGS models were made from blasa wood.
Old 26-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
Stingray12
Medical Technician

There is a canadian series similer to TUGS called Theodore Tugboat, I think the models in that series were made from bulsa wood with bits from model boat kiits.
Old 27-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Now that will be tragic. There's a dreadful looking cgi train show on tv here in SA at present. Shite of the worst kind. Fancy doing that to Thomas.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

I realised recentley that all the shows I loved as kids, they where live action with models, rather than cartoons.
Thomas being the first, I love the original 2 series, narrated by Ringo Star and directed by ex Gerry Anderson employee David Mitton, if you watch the first 2 series you can see Andersonesque techniques.
the models where dirtied down, the sets lit beautifully,
the stories actually had big words and didnt talk down to kids, just good messages of good behaviour.

it then went more cleaner, colourful and dummed down which killed it.
Ive seen the more recent ones recentley have gone further down that path.
cgi will kill it further. and kids will notice, theyre not stupid.

Mike

Old 28-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

Funny, mine were mostly all animated. "Mary, Mungo, & Midge", "Jamie & the magic Torch", "Ivor the Engine", "Noggin the Nog".

It was only after this I moved onto puppet shows such as "Pipkins", "Bagpuss", "Clangers", "Chorlton and the Wheelies", and the early GA shows such as "Fireball XL5" and from then on I was hooked.

but I certainly wanted greater depth from the shows I watched as I got older. Once I started watching the GA shows, I realised that I wanted a cohesive story and a sense of realism, something I could belive might happen one day. This is probably why I was never that fond of Thomas - by the time it came out I found it too hard to believe in most anthropomorphic personifications [talking trains and knitted mooncreatures to you lot! ]

I became besotted with "The Adventure Game" with it's series of puzzles - often displayed on a BBC Micro - and the first was often that the players (a group of celebrities such as Jonny Ball) had to work out how much local currency they had to pay for a toll or fine. The way to work it out was the number of sides multiplied by the colour's place in the rainbow. So a red circle was worth 1 Drogna, a blue square was 20! And the names all seemed to be anagrams of the word "Dragon" as I recall.

Actually, thinking about it, that was a show they could bring back re-vamped now. Just keep the puzzles at that sort of level, maybe have members of the public instead of celebs, and a real money prize at the end instead of the crystal for their 'time machine'!

Here is the titles of series 2 I think, and you can probably find something of all the other shows I mentioned on the 'tube' too!

Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

I also loved model shows such as postman pat, cockleshell bay and fireman sam, stop motion rather than live action but 3d models all the same.

there was loads of cartoons that I loved, but the ones with real models I think influenced me more

Miek
Old 28-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
Conrad Turner
Communications Officer

And how could I have forgotten "Captain Pugwash"!

I have just spent the last half hour listening to the theme tune on Youtube, this guy has done a metal version that is better than anything I have heard on Guitar Hero's free download library!

Conrad Turner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

See I don't think CGI is a bad thing, its where its used with no imagination. Good use of CGI-Lord of the Rings trilogy as it was intermeshed with well made sets and models.

Bad use, Attack of the Clones city chase. There was far too much bright CGI with no focus point.

Granted, both these examples are the extreme due to budgets. If you want an early use of all CGI that I think was decent it was the Roughnecks:Starship Troopers Chronicles series, the main fault with that was the stilted movement of the characters but that was the limitation at the time, or Babylon 5.

Too much CGI however is used lazily and is overly clean in my opinion.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #15
CR
Science Officer

I enjoyed Theodore Tugboat a lot. Alas, its production company no longer exists, and the rights to the show (along with the show itself) have disappeared to who-knows-where.

Good news, though, the models are housed at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax, for public display. (TT's Big Harbour was based upon Halifax.) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tSet2_2006.jpg

At least one of the Theodore Tugboat vessels (Rebecca the Research Vessel) was based upon a real-life ship: Jacques Cousteau's Calypso.

Also, a full-sized tugboat made to look like the title character was built and visited harbours around North America. It now conducts tours of Halifax Harbour and can be leased out for special events. (At least that's what I found about it's current fate on Wikipedia a couple of years ago.)

Last edited by CR; 29-09-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added photo link
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #16
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post

Cinders and ashes!! Someone has been very naughty!
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #17
Stingray12
Medical Technician

Heres some screengrabs from TTTE

A behined the senes image of Thomas, it looks like his model was made on the top of a Gauge 1 0-6-0 engine.

A image of Bertie, I think his model was made from balsa wood with wheels from some sort of toy van.

A promo image of Percy pulling two old coaches, it looks like the coaches wre made from some sort of model kit due to the detail of these models.

A image of Edward, I think his model was made on top of a modified Gauge 1 chassis.

A image of Terence, I think his model was made out of bits from a Vickers Vigor and perhaps he even has the Vigors chassis!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #18
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray12 View Post
A image of Terence, I think his model was made out of bits from a Vickers Vigor and perhaps he even has the Vigors chassis!
Er..... no.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #19
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

Do these models actually have much to do with Gerry Anderson?
FeRaHGo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #20
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

the models in this series have always interested me, as with Thunderbirds, its interesting to see how the models and sets where built and worked.

the models being built by a professional model making firm, clearwater model makers,
id be pretty sure they would be constructed from fibreglass and not balsa wood! definatley bertie the bus will be fibreglass.

I agree that some of the carraiges and wagons will be from commercially available kits, I did find the firm out a while back but have forgotten. it was a british cottage industry kit company.

the main chassis for all the locos was from a 4-6-2 pacific,made by Marklin, (expensive german brand) they just took the trailing wheels off if they wanted an 0-6-0, trainspotters will know what I mean here

there is a guy who is building studio replicas, working eyes everything, and hes very good. also has some youtube videos of his builds.

http://sodorscratchbuilding.ne1.net/