Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > The Monitor

Notices

SPONSORED BY

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #121
Swine Flu
Hydroponics Technician

Well it was a nice dream while it lasted! But it was never movie material, no UFO has to be a tv series.
Swine Flu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #122
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Flu View Post
Well it was a nice dream while it lasted! But it was never movie material, no UFO has to be a tv series.
Unfortunately, it seems since "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" came out in 1979, the trend in Hollywood is to make movies based on TV series, instead of the other way around like it used to be (ie; "MASH", "Logan's Run", "Paper Moon", "Planet Of the Apes", etc.), which is sad. I think "Galactica" is one of the few exceptions to that rule. I agree that the concept behind "UFO" is better suited to a TV series but, hey, you never know. Look what happened to "Star Trek". A series of very successful films led to five NEW & very successful TV series. We may luck out...
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #123
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman1188 View Post
There's no need to change what is and was.
Of course there is a need to change. UFO is a product of its time, and even more delightful on review for that. The world changes and is a more wonderful place to be in as our children reinvent what what was important to us.

'UFO'. A product of the late 60's early 70's is not going to translate to 2011.

Ironman you are missing out on a serious treat if you entrench and don't watch the new BSG, it is fine fine TV. PM me your address and I will post you series one FOC, region 2 (sorry).

Watch it and then report back to us, it is wonderful
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #124
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalfa View Post
Of course there is a need to change. UFO is a product of its time, and even more delightful on review for that. The world changes and is a more wonderful place to be in as our children reinvent what what was important to us.

Ironman you are missing out on a serious treat if you entrench and don't watch the new BSG, it is fine fine TV. PM me your address and I will post you series one FOC, region 2 (sorry).

I think a "UFO" re-make would work fine for 2011 with it being set in 1980. After all, one of the latest trends is to make shows that occur in an "alternate reality". Such as "Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow" or "The Rocketeer". Both took place in an alternate 1938. Besides, it's not like there are really wizards & warlocks in real history, either...Another thing, since SHADO is a secret organization, you could say it WAS really happening in 1980...we just never hard about it because it's a secret.

Now, what WILL need a change in setting is a re-make of "Space:1999". It'd be kinda hard not to notice the moon was missing in 2011.
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #125
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Sobral View Post
I think a "UFO" re-make would work fine for 2011 with it being set in 1980. After all, one of the latest trends is to make shows that occur in an "alternate reality". Such as "Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow" or "The Rocketeer". Both took place in an alternate 1938. Besides, it's not like there are really wizards & warlocks in real history, either...Another thing, since SHADO is a secret organization, you could say it WAS really happening in 1980...we just never hard about it because it's a secret.

Now, what WILL need a change in setting is a re-make of "Space:1999". It'd be kinda hard not to notice the moon was missing in 2011.
I can't disagree with anything you have said, which is a bit boring. However it has all gone very quiet on the UFO movie which was meant to start filming last month. Unless the people involved have a BIG gagging order in their contracts, as we have a good number of industrial model makers and SFXers (new word) on the forum.

BTW. You have a moon in the US? Hasn't been one in the UK for about 11 years
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #126
ironman1188
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalfa View Post

I did watch the first couple of episodes. I was horrified by the changes. Yet they still used wired phone handsets while having spacship technology? Maybe it was a decent show, but I will stand by my contension that it was NOT Battlestar Galactica.
ironman1188 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #127
Saxon
Alphan

Default UFO would work brilliantly - now

If you look at much of the fashion today - it's got a strong 60's influence - all the girls wear heavy eye make-up, miniskirts and boots, lots of purple clothes are in and all that stuff. UFO was always set around 10-20 years into the future but influenced by the fashions of its day so making it for todays audience it needs to be set in 2030 - so the slightly more advanced technology is believable - spaceships flying in near earth orbit like fighters etc.

On the subject of who should play Straker - why not Daniel Craig - right look and age to have gravitas and why not make Col Foster/Col Lake a yank to appease the American market?

Saxon
Saxon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #128
HUNCH
Communications Officer

I surprised myself when I streamed the entire series of Nu Galactica and LIKED IT! Watched the whole thing in about 2 weeks. Couldn't stand the president with that wierd grimace on her face through the whole thing though. One expression pony.
HUNCH is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote