Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Default 1999 Novels & Adaptations

I've seen several threads that briefly talk about the PRINTED adventures of SPACE:1999, including those from Pocket (USA), Futura, Warner & Powys. My question is this: What do all of you think of the printed adventures of Moonbase Alpha?

Unlike STAR TREK, that has a continuity that's all over the place, the SPACE:1999 episode adaptations, in my opinion, work quite well at filling in the plot holes of the episodes. I particularly like the way the authors tie one episode into the next.

It's kind of like reading "Dune" or "2001: A Space Odyssey"...reading the novels definitely improves the enjoyment and/or understanding of their big screen counterparts. Personally, I didn't know what the hell was happening in "Dune" (the 1984 David Lynch version) until I read the novel. Of course, the 3 hour version recently released by Universal helps a lot, too.
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Sobral View Post
What do all of you think of the printed adventures of Moonbase Alpha?
I have most of the novels, and am currently reading them - I am upto half way through season 2 stories so far.

My personal favourites so far have been the novels that have not been televised (ie Alien Seed by E.C. Tubb, Android Planet by John Rankine, Rogue Planet by E.C.Tubb, and Phoenix of the Megaron by John Rankine), because this meant for me that they were BRAND NEW adventures.

Earthfall by E.C.Tubb was another favourite because it took the story of 'Breakaway' but added a lot of themes to it never explored in the televised version - eg background detail regarding Koenig and the woman he left, in order to rejoin Moonbase Alpha, themes of mutiny and resentment, and the introduction of John and Helena having children.

Last edited by SPACE 1899; 29-09-2009 at 07:46 AM.
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
CR
Science Officer

Some of us discussed the novels on another thread... regarding Earthfall, a lot of us thought the the characters were wildly out-of-character, so I treat it as an 'alternate reality' story. (Really, John & Helena having kids because she drugs him?! Even though the book explains why she does so, it just isn't the way the 'real' Koenig & Russell would have behaved on the show. )
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Some of us discussed the novels on another thread... regarding Earthfall, a lot of us thought the the characters were wildly out-of-character, so I treat it as an 'alternate reality' story. (Really, John & Helena having kids because she drugs him?! Even though the book explains why she does so, it just isn't the way the 'real' Koenig & Russell would have behaved on the show. )
Agreed - but still an interesting read - rather than just reading a straightforward retelling of an episode.
Old 29-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
I have most of the novels, and am currently reading them - I am upto half way through season 2 stories so far.

My personal favourites so far have been the novels that have not been televised (ie Alien Seed by E.C. Tubb, Android Planet by John Rankine, Rogue Planet by E.C.Tubb, and Phoenix of the Megaron by John Rankine), because this meant for me that they were BRAND NEW adventures.

Earthfall by E.C.Tubb was another favourite because it took the story of 'Breakaway' but added a lot of themes to it never explored in the televised version - eg background detail regarding Koenig and the woman he left, in order to rejoin Moonbase Alpha, themes of mutiny and resentment, and the introduction of John and Helena having children.
My personal favorite so far is the Powys Books publication of "Eternity Unbound" (the prequel, story & sequel to "End Of Eternity"). I don't know if this is what Johnny Byrne had in mind for the character of Balor when he first wrote him but, that is ONE SICK DUDE!! The prequel story is SO violent, if it were filmed as an episode, it never would have made it to broadcast. If it was a movie, it would get at least an "R" rating. After reading the prequel, I watched the episode & gained a whole new appreciation for it. It's like I said in my first post, in this case, the books actually ENHANCE the viewing experience.

Haven't read the sequel story yet ("Resurrection") but, can't wait to. I'm dying to see what Balor has in mind for Moonbase Alpha on his next rave!

Old 29-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Eternity Unbound sounds particularly interesting - like a spin off story - giving background and further detail / story to an episode character.

I'm looking forward to reading that one, once I finish the Year 2 novels I'm going through at present
Old 29-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
Eternity Unbound sounds particularly interesting - like a spin off story - giving background and further detail / story to an episode character.

I'm looking forward to reading that one, once I finish the Year 2 novels I'm going through at present
Oh, yeah...it gives a LOT of detail on Balors' background...from his childhood to his education to his eventual coup of Progron & how he was defeated. Quite a good yarn. Like I said, it really pumped up my enjoyment of the episode "End Of Eternity" which, until now, was never one of my favorite episodes.

Another good thing...unlike the STAR TREK novels, TV series & films, it's highly unlikely Balors' story will be contradicted by time or another story or series the way Khan's was...