Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 02-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Default Charlton Comics

Hey, I just got a "E-book" copy of the Carlton Comics labeled "Volume one" and "Volume two", however, the second volume is totally in black and white, while the first one is in color! Did the series of comic books just suddenly go into black and white, or did some idiot scan these things into his computer and turn off the color?
It is very strange, but I thought that I could actually sit here and color them myself. Like while I am at work, waiting on the phone for 15-20 minutes (which is my NORMAL day!!!!) and I could just click on an area and assign it a color, then come back later and detail! I have done that in the past, but didn't have the nice Photoshop that I do today! It may be fun.

Also, in one of the stories, the crew runs into a Greek planet filled with old Earth type Greek legends, like Hercules, etc. At one point in the story, they detach the command module from the Eagles and use them to fly to "Olympus"!!!!!
Has there ever been any mention of the Eagles being able to do that?

William
williamtaylor1969 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:24 AM   #2
CR
Science Officer

The command modules were indeed detachable, as shown in "Dragon's Domain," but whether or not they would fly well in an atmosphere is debatable.

Which issues/stories are on the color volume, and which are black and white? Charlton made both, with the color comics being standard (for the day) comic book size; the black and white were in a magazine-size format, and in addition to the stories, included light articles about the show & real astronomy stuff.

Finally, where did you get e-book versions of these? I have the actual comics, but I wouldn't mind a digital format if it's well made.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Finally, where did you get e-book versions of these? I have the actual comics, but I wouldn't mind a digital format if it's well made.
I also have the the e-book versions of all 15 comics on a disk, as well as the actual comics themselves (stored in protective plastic sleeves).

I picked it up on ebay last year for a few pounds (absolute bargain),with a nice colour dvd sleeve included also showing some of the comic front covers. I'm very suprised that ebay didn't jump in and block the listing - because it does not appear to be an 'official' product - ie the actual disk is a Tesco DVD+R disk, but it is a superb item anyway.

The files are converted to cbr format and contain all original material, and can only be read by a comic book reader, but the software for this was also included on the disk, so it loaded on my computer no problem.

The beauty of the disk format is no yellowing pages and that I can open and read the comics on the computer, scroll down through the pages and can also print out favourite images etc. I could even print the whole lot out on paper, but the cost of colour ink cartridge would make that a very expensive exercise !

Not sure if it is possible to colour the black and white pictures on screen though - I'll have to experiment with that. If not possible, you could always print out some black and white pages on the printer, and then colour them in.

Only disadvantage is that the file containing the 7 colour comics is 46.2 MB and the file containing the 8 black and white comics is a massive 184 MB, so I tend to load them on the computer from the disk (which can take up to 10 minutes) each time I want to look at them rather than store them on the computer.

However, having said all that, I still find it more nostalgic to read the actual original printed comics themselves, even though the pages are yellowing on a lot of them

Last edited by SPACE 1899; 03-10-2009 at 06:21 PM.
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
The command modules were indeed detachable, as shown in "Dragon's Domain," but whether or not they would fly well in an atmosphere is debatable.
Mattel’s Eagle Transporter toy model had a command pod in the front which held two pilots and could separate from the centre section and combine with the engine section (in the rear, also removable) to form a cute little scout space craft.

Last edited by SPACE 1899; 03-10-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Quote:
I did a torrent search thru "Mininova" for "Space:1999" under "Books". I was actually looking for any of the novels in e-book format for my kindle reader. I have all of the Star Trek novels and comics, as well as all the Star Wars comics. I have found all of the Sin City comics, as well as many other scifi and movie related novels and comics in e-book form!

William

Old 04-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtaylor1969 View Post
It is very strange, but I thought that I could actually sit here and color them myself. Like while I am at work, waiting on the phone for 15-20 minutes (which is my NORMAL day!!!!) and I could just click on an area and assign it a color, then come back later and detail!
I was looking at the comic book reader help screen instructions in more detail this weekend for the disc I have containing the comics. It would appear that it is not possible using that software to colour in the black and white images.

However, instead, I tried and found it is possible to right click on any page and save that page as a file and then print out that file onto paper and then colour it in - that should pleasantly pass some time when you are on the phone at work

Now where did I put my crayons ?

Last edited by CR; 06-10-2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Actually, I have colored many black and white pictures using photoshop. You need to take the contrast up until you have a firm black line on the cartoon, but it will work. If you have any breaks in the black line, when you use the color fill icon, it will spill out onto the rest of the picture. It takes a little work, but it is possible!

William
Old 05-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Actually, I have colored many black and white pictures using photoshop.
Do you mean directly from the opened page on the screen or on the saved version ? If you could send me a P.M. with simple instructions I would be most interested - and I could then give my daughter back all her crayons
Old 05-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
Do you mean directly from the opened page on the screen or on the saved version ? If you could send me a P.M. with simple instructions I would be most interested - and I could then give my daughter back all her crayons
No, it's not all that hard. Like I said, just increase the contrast so you have basically black and white, and make sure that the black is a solid black so the color doesn't leak out onto the rest of the page.
Pick an area to color, say a face, and then just use the fill bucket in photoshop and click on the face! I also have a color photograph standing by so I can click on, say the skin color of the face, and use that color to fill in the face on the B&W drawing. Works great!

William
Old 05-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

There was also a first season episode where Koenig crashed an Eagle and the command module was detached by using the winch module on another Eagle. I think it was Missing Link.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
There was also a first season episode where Koenig crashed an Eagle and the command module was detached by using the winch module on another Eagle. I think it was Missing Link.
Well, in this comic, they FLEW the cockpit!! There are no engines on either side of that door, and you cannot just fly in the air with the manuvering jets! But we are talking about a comic book, where sometimes the writers, inkers and others know nothing about the actual show. Look at all the bad comics that Star Trek came out with!!! GEEEEZZZZ, makes my skin crawl just to think about some of those stories, hehehehehehe

William
Old 05-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

Well there was also the Star Wars one with the giant rabbit....so I know what you mean.

Some of the comic strips in the annuals were just as bad. One example being an Eagle crash with the crew running out the smouldering wreck with no helmets on, and surviving.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #13
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

One of the original artwork pages from Mag #4, Pg 9 is on eBay for sale. The Eagle does feature prominently in this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

Here is a link to a large image the seller supplied: http://www.lewiswaynegallery.com/images/13263_2.jpg
Eagle12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:44 AM   #14
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Charlton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle12 View Post
One of the original artwork pages from Mag #4, Pg 9 is on eBay for sale. The Eagle does feature prominently in this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

Here is a link to a large image the seller supplied: http://www.lewiswaynegallery.com/images/13263_2.jpg
I like the artist's EAGLE artwork.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:01 AM   #15
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Yes, VERY nice! I think that I may take this page, and color it, just for an example for all to see the results!

William

Old 06-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #16
CR
Science Officer

Not to be mean, but even as a kid, I noticed that the Eagle art was... wrong. Engines too small, cages not quite right. Granted, I'd built, played with and drawn pictures of the old MPC model kit; I had studied that like crazy, so I guess that's why I noticed when others were off. Granted, the MPC model wasn't accurate, either, but it wasn't as off as some of the various comic artists' interpretations. (And to be fair, I've seen other artists get the Eagle even more wrong than what's shown on the page up for auction!)

Still, it's instantly recognisable as an Eagle, and was drawn fairly consistently. (I've seen some comics where the Eagle seems to change from frame to frame, if memory serves me correctly!)

Last edited by CR; 06-10-2009 at 07:05 AM. Reason: added note
Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #17
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Well, in this comic, they FLEW the cockpit!! There are no engines on either side of that door, and you cannot just fly in the air with the manuvering jets! But we are talking about a comic book, where sometimes the writers, inkers and others know nothing about the actual show.
Well, John Byrne actually was one of the better artists illustrating the Charlton Comics S99 stories, and often his eye for background details was generally remarkably accurate. I suspect he at least had some photos/promotional material to work with, such as a scene in medical (issue 4 or 5, 'Demon Star') that actually had the medical section from 'The Full Circle' drawn out. (The colouring, on the other hand, wasn't always accurate, but at least it did get the pilots' sleeves right!) Compared to earlier artists (issues 1 & 2, and the faces in issue 3) and later artists (issue 7), there was better consistency, accuracy and overall artistry in Byrne's work. Just sayin'.

As for the flying CM, there are dark 'ports' on either side of the doorway in Byrne's version; I always assumed those were his idea of where the thrusters should go, and that what we now know as sensor dishes he may have assumed (as did I for many years) were attitude jets. (Those 'ports' on the aft end of the CM are where, in 'reality' as shown in 'Dragon's Domain,' the studio model had two small engine bells... something else I never noticed until I saw that ep on Laser Disc many years later.)

I know in neither Byrne's case nor even in 'Dragon's Domain' could the CM likely fly well in an atmosphere, nor for very long at all. But, the flight was pretty much a single 'hop' from the crash site to the Olympian city, and if I recall correctly, the characters mentioned that the modules (especially the damaged one) would not be spaceworthy.

Bottom line: I found the CM 'flight' less distracting than the notion that creatures and 'gods' of Greek mythology are real. (That plot idea was clever for a comic, but sort of countered the whole 'Testament of Arkadia' thing.)
Old 06-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #18
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Quote:
Bottom line: I found the CM 'flight' less distracting than the notion that creatures and 'gods' of Greek mythology are real. (That plot idea was clever for a comic, but sort of countered the whole 'Testament of Arkadia' thing.)
I don't think that you sounded "mean" about your comments! And I found the whole gods of Greek mythology to be somewhat like that old TREK episode where they encountered Apollo. Even as I kid I watched that episode and said "Ah, come on!!!" There was an old Trek animated episode where the crew ran into Satan, trapped inside an asteroid or something like that. I have not been able to see those episodes since they had first run, but I remember that one because all the people in the bible belt lost their minds, and the episode was banned!!!

William
Old 06-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #19
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default artists' interpretations

Quote:
Not to be mean, but even as a kid, I noticed that the Eagle art was... wrong. Engines too small, cages not quite right. Granted, I'd built, played with and drawn pictures of the old MPC model kit; I had studied that like crazy, so I guess that's why I noticed when others were off. Granted, the MPC model wasn't accurate, either, but it wasn't as off as some of the various comic artists' interpretations. (And to be fair, I've seen other artists get the Eagle even more wrong than what's shown on the page up for auction!)

Still, it's instantly recognisable as an Eagle, and was drawn fairly consistently. (I've seen some comics where the Eagle seems to change from frame to frame, if memory serves me correctly!)
I knew as a kid, too. However, I liked the variants of the artists' interpretations of the EAGLE...with other artists too, like Gray Morrow. It was interesting seeing an artist's individual view of the iconic EAGLE TRANSPORTER

I remember the variants of the artists' interpretations of the A.N.S.A. SPACESHIP from "Planet Of The Apes" "Beneath The Planet Of The Apes" and "Escape From The Planet Of The Apes " too.

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 06-10-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #20
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
I remember the variants of the artists' interpretations of the A.N.S.A. SPACESHIP from "Planet Of The Apes" "Beneath The Planet Of The Apes" and "Escape From The Planet Of The Apes " too.
Ah, as an aside, then...
http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/tableofcontents.html
Specific art & model stuff here, if you don't want to search that site... but really, it's a great site! Search it!
(ahem...) http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/allthings.htm and http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/artwork.html