SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Default URGENT HELP

Urgent help please.

The other day, I placed the winning bid for the Space 1999 Year 2 'Promotional' rare cd for 19.99 from a user 'maxwads(0)' and was about to pay by paypal tonight following reminder message sent to me, when I suddenly noticed -

a) the user has the same cd listed AGAIN on ebay, ending 9th October ! - see below link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

b) the user has no feedback.

Does this seller perhaps have a stash of these rare 'promotional' cds ? Maybe safest bet would to meet the seller (who also lives in London) and see the item and pay by cash.

Any thoughts welcome - eg someone on this forum may have had dealings with this seller and they are ok ?

Last edited by SPACE 1899; 06-10-2009 at 09:52 PM.
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Personally I would never deal with someone who has no feedback.

Also I wouldn't go alone to meet anyone advertising on e-bay There was a report of someone getting beaten up after answering a Gumtree ad for a car. Admittedly a far higher priced item, but all the same. You never know who you are dealing with.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
cricket
Medical Officer

Can you say 'copy'? This has all the hallmarks of a small time scam artist out to make some quick bucks. There were a very limited number of these CDs ever made. And like saturnapollo, I never buy from someone without feedback history.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Name changed by request
Exile

The good news is that if you decide to buy from Paypal you can get a refund if he defaults as you have protection, If the CD is not forthcoming or it's a miserable copy.

I don't think it is wise to meet him especially if only 20 is at stake.

Of course you can decide not to buy ,but you may get an adverse feedback on Ebay.

The seller opened his account in April of this year so he hasn't opened the account overnight! This is a reasonable, but not guaranteed OK sign.

Whatever happens good luck.

- J

Last edited by Name changed by request; 06-10-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Name changed by request is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Price View Post
The good news is that if you decide to buy from Paypal you can get a refund if he defaults as you have protection....
This is more optimistic that real.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
Name changed by request
Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
This is more optimistic that real.
No! I know a few people who have got refunds PROVIDED it goes through the right procedural channels BUT that can be a slow process!
Name changed by request is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #7
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
Urgent help please.

The other day, I placed the winning bid for the Space 1999 Year 2 'Promotional' rare cd for 19.99 from a user 'maxwads(0)' and was about to pay by paypal tonight following reminder message sent to me, when I suddenly noticed -

a) the user has the same cd listed AGAIN on ebay, ending 9th October ! - see below link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

b) the user has no feedback.

Does this seller perhaps have a stash of these rare 'promotional' cds ? Maybe safest bet would to meet the seller (who also lives in London) and see the item and pay by cash.

Any thoughts welcome - eg someone on this forum may have had dealings with this seller and they are ok ?
You might have to go through E-Bay and their mediation service.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #8
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Thanks for the replies.

The plot thickens - I sent a message to the seller to state that I noticed he had another of the same cds up for sale and to ask him whether he had more than 1 of these cds in his possession, and have just had a reply back stating yes.

I'll probably wait until after the 9th October and see if the further cd is sold, and see if the seller then advertises another one for sale.

All looks very dodgy
Old 07-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Personally, I'd deal in trade with my friends here on-line rather than someone I don't know who's selling an item not made for general release. I hooked up with the webmaster at the Main Mission Forum. He had something I wanted (the MST3K episode of "Cosmic Princess") & I had the Year 2 CD. No money changed hands & I still have my original copy as does he. We BOTH got the items we wanted (I'm not saying how...don't wanna get in trouble).
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
Styrofoam_Guy
Life Support Technician

Well if you go meet the person you can chose a very public place. That way you get to inspect the item before paying for it.
Styrofoam_Guy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

The plot thickens even further.

The seller now has 100 % positive feedback because of the first feedback just left by someone who recently bought and received - yes, you guessed it - another of these same cds.

That's at least 3 of these cds that the seller has put on ebay - has this seller cornered the market by owning multiple Year 2 "Promotional" cds ?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
cricket
Medical Officer

See entry #3 above.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:07 AM   #13
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

message the feedback giver. but take what they say with a pinch of salt, they may be in it together. I dont have the time to look now, but what else is he selling, and do these items seem legitimate? Also, as he's been a member since april (and he has quite a few items for sale) it is pretty hard to see how he has NO feedback. hmmmm does ebay management have the ability to wipe someones feedback for certain reasons?
FeRaHGo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:43 AM   #14
gwent
Computer Technician

I find it extremely hard to believe that he has multiples of this very rare promotional cd. Now, looking back, I wish I had bought multiple copies when I purchased mine, but I didn't. So the question is, how likely was it that this person thought ahead and bought several just to sell later? As an example, I was at mainmission2000, and my friend bought several of the authentic cutaway posters that were for sale there, just to keep and sell when the time was right. So people do certainly think that way.

However, this feels more like a scam to me. He is no doubt making copies of the disc and printing new artwork. I would be very careful if you were even thinking about meeting this person. Also, I got burned 3 years ago when I bought a fake copy of a Disney DVD for my girlfriend. Once I discovered it was a fake, I contacted the seller multiple times, with no replies. Finally, I contacted Ebay, but they wouldn't help me because I was an idiot and paid by check instead of Paypal, so they did nothing. So Ebay won't always help you.

FeRaHGo, about the feedback, when I had my problem with Ebay, I left negative feedback after I discovered I was stuck. I also filed a complaint about the seller to Ebay. Just days later, I checked back to see if the seller was still selling, and not only was she still there, but she removed all her feedback comments! It seems that Ebay will allow a seller to hide feedback comments, so they can't be viewed, even when a complaint has been filed against the seller. Nice, huh?

Last edited by gwent; 10-10-2009 at 06:47 AM.
gwent is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
Achilles Messenger
Chef

Hi All,

It's just been pointed out on the Fanderson Forum that it is infact Derek's son who is selling off the remainder copies of the promo CD. This now makes sense as the username of the eBayer is maxwads.

He now has two positive feedbacks! Hope this puts your mids at rest.

Regards
Richard
Achilles Messenger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #16
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Thank you Richard for that information - all now makes perfect sense.
I shall now proceed and complete the purchase

Also, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by SPACE 1899; 10-10-2009 at 09:31 PM.