SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 12-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
chrisw99
Alphan

Default order to watch the episodes

Hi all,

ITV4 have just started a re-run of the series, and they are showing it in original UK transmission order.

I notice every episode guide online, DVD release, etc, seems to have the episodes in production order.

Which is the correct way to watch the episodes, or does it not matter as they are all standalone?
chrisw99 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
cricket
Medical Officer

With the exception of Breakaway, and then The Metamorph, the order is fairly fluid. The general gestalt does tend to place certain episodes earlier and other episodes later than others, but you can make arguments for just about any suggested order.

Personally, I find Testament of Arkadia an excellent conclusion to series 1, with series 2 left hanging in the lurch.

If you haven't found it already, The Catacombs website is a wonderful resource for all things S99.

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/

Proposed episode orders from The Catacombs:
http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...guide/ty1.html
http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...guide/ty2.html

Welcome to the Board!
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
CR
Science Officer

Also, Eric Bernard has suggested a re-ordering of the episodes in his Space: 2099 update. Some of his changes make perfect sense, while others, I feel, are not so critical and needn't have changed much. But it illustrates one example of the 'fluidity' cricket mentioned. (I agree with her, by the way, about "Testament of Arkadia" being a great finish to Season 1.)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

I find the production order to be the best for viewing, as there are character arcs which progress from "Breakaway". One very good example is the relationship between Koenig and Carter, which is quite antagonistic at the start, but by "Missing Link" has become a loyal friendship.

Johnny Byrne often noted that the writers were on the voyage with the Alphans, and their experience (certainly at least in the case of Byrne and Christopher Penfold) grew in proportion to the length of time the Moon had been away from Earth.

It doesn't matter what order you watch Year Two (apart from "The Metamorph" coming first) because the episodes weren't written consecutively, like Year One. In Year Two the episodes were commissioned concurrently by Fred Freiberger, and so there isn't the same organic build or progression that Year One had.
CalgaryAlphan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
With the exception of Breakaway, and then The Metamorph, the order is fairly fluid. The general gestalt does tend to place certain episodes earlier and other episodes later than others, but you can make arguments for just about any suggested order.

Personally, I find Testament of Arkadia an excellent conclusion to series 1, with series 2 left hanging in the lurch.

If you haven't found it already, The Catacombs website is a wonderful resource for all things S99.

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/

Proposed episode orders from The Catacombs:
http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...guide/ty1.html
http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...guide/ty2.html

Welcome to the Board!

Cricket, I absolutely agree with your analysis!
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw99 View Post
Which is the correct way to watch the episodes, or does it not matter as they are all standalone?
Well, you could start with 'The Rules of Luton' and then every episode you watch after that is better

Welcome to the Forum.
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
Well, you could start with 'The Rules of Luton' and then every episode you watch after that is better
Now THAT's funny!

Interestingly, the Bernard remix I mentioned puts "Luton" as the second ep right after "The Metamorph," bacause it feels like Maya is in the 'getting to know Alpha' stage. An 'away' mission with Koenig is a test of her abilities, and the character revelations about her (and for that matter, about Koenig) further introduce her to the viewer. I have to agree, in this case, that the new order helps.

It's still a bad ep, conceptually, but that's not important right now. Plus (and this got mentioned by someone else on another thread) the remix has an Eagle inserted when Tony leaves after dropping off Koenig & Maya. Koenig actually looks around over his shoulder in the original version while he's using his commlock to say goodbye to Tony; now he actually is looking over his shoulder at the departing Eagle! Nice touch.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default "RULES OF LUTON" EAGLE insert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Now THAT's funny!

Interestingly, the Bernard remix I mentioned puts "Luton" as the second ep right after "The Metamorph," bacause it feels like Maya is in the 'getting to know Alpha' stage. An 'away' mission with Koenig is a test of her abilities, and the character revelations about her (and for that matter, about Koenig) further introduce her to the viewer. I have to agree, in this case, that the new order helps.

It's still a bad ep, conceptually, but that's not important right now. Plus (and this got mentioned by someone else on another thread) the remix has an Eagle inserted when Tony leaves after dropping off Koenig & Maya. Koenig actually looks around over his shoulder in the original version while he's using his commlock to say goodbye to Tony; now he actually is looking over his shoulder at the departing Eagle! Nice touch.
CR, I thought it looked great on screen too for continuity...an improvement of "RULES OF LUTON" EAGLE insert courtesy of the SPACE:2099 work done by Eric Bernard.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw99 View Post
Hi all,

ITV4 have just started a re-run of the series, and they are showing it in original UK transmission order.

I notice every episode guide online, DVD release, etc, seems to have the episodes in production order.

Next time I watch the series, I'm going to watch in "production order" just to see what happens (thank you "Catacombs"!). The biggest gaff I can see happens in the release order of the DVDs released by A&E/Carlton in the USA. They put "Journey To Where" before "Bringers Of Wonder". Why single those out? Well, since Koenigs' mind was "protected" by Helena's brain massager, he should have realized one more VERY important thing...they had ALREADY been in touch with Earth in "Journey" & it was clearly pointed out that current Earth time is in the 22nd Century. If his mind was protected, he should have realized IMMEDIATELY that the crew, as listed by Helena, of the Super Swift would have been dead for a looooong time...

Of course, that would of made BOW a two-minute episode instead of a two-parter...
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
CR
Science Officer

Two minute instead of two parter...

Old 12-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Two minute instead of two parter...
Laff it up, fuzzball....Seriously, though. I don't know WHAT they were thinking when they made BOW a two-part episode. First off, they give away the fact that the Super Swift crew are aliens waaay to early & it's just not enuff story to sustain two hours.

Woulda made a fine one hour show, though....
Old 12-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
CR, I thought it looked great on screen too for continuity...an improvement of "RULES OF LUTON" EAGLE insert courtesy of the SPACE:2099 work done by Eric Bernard.
I know Eric had to take down all the episodes from his site due to copyright issues but if you search on YouTube for Space: 2099 you can find many of these. For the beautiful Eagle liftoff scene, check out the episode here around the 2:20 mark Don't miss the new opening credits shortly after either:

Eagle12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Sobral View Post
Laff it up, fuzzball....Seriously, though. I don't know WHAT they were thinking when they made BOW a two-part episode. First off, they give away the fact that the Super Swift crew are aliens waaay to early & it's just not enuff story to sustain two hours.

Woulda made a fine one hour show, though....
Brings up an interested question, which episode would anyone on here think would have made a good two-parter? Personally, I would love to see the pilot Breakaway which Gerry Anderson reports originally came in at nearly two hours and had to be re-shot and re-edited. If only that original cut still existed....
Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #14
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle12 View Post
Brings up an interested question, which episode would anyone on here think would have made a good two-parter? Personally, I would love to see the pilot Breakaway which Gerry Anderson reports originally came in at nearly two hours and had to be re-shot and re-edited. If only that original cut still existed....
From what I can recall, he said the original cut of "Breakaway" was something like 75 minutes. I wonder...were all the "extra scenes" added of the Lunar Finance Commission in the film "Alien Attack" originally shot for "Breakaway" & then slipped back into "Alien Attack"? It's a curious question because I only recognize one actor in that whole sequence...the guy giving the Chairman a hard time. I know they put the films together in the late 70s/early 80s but, I remember seeing this guy in the first "Superman" movie (197))...he played the crook who mugged Lois & Clark in the street outside the Daily Planet.

I mention this because, he looks older in the "Superman" appearance than he does in "Alien Attack". Since "Superman" was shot in 1977 & "Breakaway" was shot in 1974...could the Lunar Finance Commission sequence be the so-called "missing/extra footage" from "Breakaway"...? I know the credits for "Alien Attack" list the director of the added footage as Dennis Spooner but...
Old 12-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
Eagle12
Astrophysics Technician

Alas, no... it's pretty well documented that it was shot for the movie version and the VERY low production values of the scenes speaks for itself.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #16
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle12 View Post
Alas, no... it's pretty well documented that it was shot for the movie version and the VERY low production values of the scenes speaks for itself.
Yeah, I know...it was just a shot in the dark...VERY cheap production values...
Old 12-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Sobral View Post
Next time I watch the series, I'm going to watch in "production order" just to see what happens (thank you "Catacombs"!). The biggest gaff I can see happens in the release order of the DVDs released by A&E/Carlton in the USA. They put "Journey To Where" before "Bringers Of Wonder". Why single those out? Well, since Koenigs' mind was "protected" by Helena's brain massager, he should have realized one more VERY important thing...they had ALREADY been in touch with Earth in "Journey" & it was clearly pointed out that current Earth time is in the 22nd Century. If his mind was protected, he should have realized IMMEDIATELY that the crew, as listed by Helena, of the Super Swift would have been dead for a looooong time...

Of course, that would of made BOW a two-minute episode instead of a two-parter...
I'm not sure I'm reading you correctly here --- "Journey to Where" (#5) does come before "Bringers of Wonder" (#17/1 in production order.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #18
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician

Whoops!

My 18 turned into 1 when I closed my bracket!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #19
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlphan View Post
I'm not sure I'm reading you correctly here --- "Journey to Where" (#5) does come before "Bringers of Wonder" (#17/1 in production order.
OK...That being the case, they really screwed up the plots, didn't they? Otherwise, like I said, one of the FIRST things Koenig should have realized when he came to in BOW would have been..."Wait a minute...it's the 22nd Century on Earth. Shouldn't all these people on the Super Swift be dead by now, Helena?"

Like I said, end of episode...(BOW)
Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #20
CR
Science Officer

Well, not quite the end... Alpha then could have fired those nifty retractable laser cannons and destroyed the approaching craft in a shower of pyrotechnics. Then, they Alphans could have made some cheesy joke, smile and FREEZE FRAME. There. That's the end of the episode!