Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum


Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Big Screen

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer
 
Steve Gerard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: east coast U.S.A.
Posts: 3,860
Default "SPACE:1999" Canon ?

Canon in the STAR TREK and STAR WARS universe of TV series, ANIMATED TV Series, Movies, Comics/Comic Books/Graphic Novels , Novels and video games/internet gaming is always discussed what basically fits and is accepted...

I guess it is the same in the Canon of the Anderson created SPACE:1999 universe of the:
TV series
Movies released from edited together episodes
"MESSAGE FROM MOONBASE ALPHA" short film
STARLOG ALPHA MOONBASE TECHNICAL MANUAL
Comics
Comic Books
Graphic Novels
Novels
fan fiction(published or on internet sites)

Are they all accepted to you as part of the SPACE:1999 history - mythology - canon?

Last edited by Steve Gerard; 12-10-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
CalgaryAlphan
Computer Technician
 
CalgaryAlphan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 210
Default

It will be interesting to see how other people respond to this question, but I consider the series itself and "Message from Moonbase Alpha" to be canon.

I do not consider anything else absolute canon, and that includes novels, comics, the Tech Manual, the "movies" (how can they be canon when they change the date of the show?), etc...
CalgaryAlphan is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer
 
Steve Gerard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: east coast U.S.A.
Posts: 3,860
Default Thanks, CalgaryAlphan for additional examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlphan View Post
It will be interesting to see how other people respond to this question, but I consider the series itself and "Message from Moonbase Alpha" to be canon.

I do not consider anything else absolute canon, and that includes novels, comics, the Tech Manual, the "movies" (how can they be canon when they change the date of the show?), etc...
It seems to me too, sincerely to consider the original 48 episodes and "Message from Moonbase Alpha" to be absolute canon.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
cricket
Medical Officer
 
cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 4,560
Default

Canon: series 1, series 2 (even the cringeworthy segments), and I'll include MMBA given who wrote it and who starred in it.

Everything else is just for the fun of it.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
CaptainOchre
Geological Technician
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 104
Default

I don't see things in black and white canon/non-canon. I view it as having different levels of canon.
Primary/definative-cannot be ignored: Season One
Secondary: Season two, Message from Moonbase Alpha
Tertiary: The Novels
CaptainOchre is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
CR
Science Officer
 
CR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: wandering the universe
Posts: 5,472
Default

Aren't the Powys novels supposed to be considered at least semi-canon? I mean, officially, aren't they? I thougt (and I could be wrong) that they were being touted as such.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
cricket
Medical Officer
 
cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 4,560
Default

I've greatly enjoyed most of the Powys Books, but as they are not written by those who wrote the original series, or had part of its creative direction, I do not consider them even semi-canon.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
CR
Science Officer
 
CR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: wandering the universe
Posts: 5,472
Default

I agree with your reasoning and with your point, cricket, but my point was whether or not the Powys books are officially considered canon. Just because something's official doesn't make it canon, by the way... the Starlog Tech Manual was official, though it clearly didn't match what we saw on screen in many cases. Official basically only means authorised by the license holder, if I'm not mistaken; as such, it may or it may not have anything to do with fitting into the story continuity. But a license holder could say something to the effect of "this story is officially part of the series continuity, so there," thus making it canon.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer
 
Steve Gerard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: east coast U.S.A.
Posts: 3,860
Default STAR TREK & STAR WARS canon standards

Canon in the STAR TREK and STAR WARS universe of TV series, ANIMATED TV Series, Movies, Comics/Comic Books/Graphic Novels , Novels and video games/internet gaming is always discussed what basically fits and is accepted...encompasses alot more territory....according to George Lucas for his STAR WARS. I believe Gene Roddenberry considered the STAR TREK ANIMATED TV Series 1973-74 that he produced, after the original was cancelled and before the movies were produced in 1979+, as canon after some self-inflicted denial of the canon of this animated TV series.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer
 
SPACE 1899's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAlphan View Post
It will be interesting to see how other people respond to this question, but I consider the series itself and "Message from Moonbase Alpha" to be canon.

I do not consider anything else absolute canon, and that includes novels, comics, the Tech Manual, the "movies" (how can they be canon when they change the date of the show?), etc...
Agreed in a way, but that said, I'm really thankful that all these other items do exist - books, comics, fan fiction etc

I especially love the 'what if' and 'alternative scenarios' - which is why, for example I really enjoyed the alternative take on the Breakaway story in the 'Earthfall' novel by E.C.Tubb. Alternative canon maybe ?

If all these other items did not exist, all a Space 1999 fan could do would be to watch the episodes over and over again.
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #11
CR
Science Officer
 
CR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: wandering the universe
Posts: 5,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE 1899 View Post
If all these other items did not exist, all a Space 1999 fan could do would be to watch the episodes over and over again.
Don't we do that anyway?
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #12
EMPEROR DALEK D L
Travel Tube Technician
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Don't we do that anyway?

Thanks to ITV4 in the UK...several times a week. ITV4 has been playing both series in a loop since the channel started broadcasting a few years ago. This is great, but I wish they would show them in order and all of them (something they haven't been doing for the last few runs). The double bill in the morning features UFO as well or The Champions.


Regards EDDL
EMPEROR DALEK D L is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #13
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer
 
SPACE 1899's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Don't we do that anyway?
YES - especially with the subtitles turned on for MAXIMUM enjoyment and joining in with the classic phrases

Altogether now - "PEOPLE ARE DYING UP HERE, JOHN"
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #14
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer
 
SPACE 1899's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPEROR DALEK D L View Post
Thanks to ITV4 in the UK...several times a week. ITV4 has been playing both series in a loop since the channel started broadcasting a few years ago.
Yes - I videotaped all of the UFO episodes that way courtesy of ITV4 - but yes - they are not in the correct order
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #15
CR
Science Officer
 
CR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: wandering the universe
Posts: 5,472
Default

You have to read along with the subtitles? You don't have them memorised? Amateur.

(Just kidding, all in fun, by the way! One could retort with how obsessive I am about the series to have memorised all the lines, after all. OK, not completely memorised, I must add, but I know the episodes enough to pretty much recite right along with them without having to think about what line comes next. Kind of pathetic, really...)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #16
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Branford, Connecticut USA
Posts: 665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
Canon in the STAR TREK and STAR WARS universe of TV series, ANIMATED TV Series, Movies, Comics/Comic Books/Graphic Novels , Novels and video games/internet gaming is always discussed what basically fits and is accepted...

I guess it is the same in the Canon of the Anderson created SPACE:1999 universe of the:
TV series
Movies released from edited together episodes
"MESSAGE FROM MOONBASE ALPHA" short film
STARLOG ALPHA MOONBASE TECHNICAL MANUAL
Comics
Comic Books
Graphic Novels
Novels
fan fiction(published or on internet sites)

Are they all accepted to you as part of the SPACE:1999 history - mythology - canon?
The 48 episodes & "Message..." are most certainly "canon" but, the edited TV movies? A resounding "No!". Aside from the fact that they're set in the year 2100, there are just too many other discrepancies that preclude them. For instance, Commissioner Simmonds' death in "Alien Attack" immediately takes that film out of chronological order & leaves it as a "stand alone" with the other three movies being "sequels"...

The comics? No! Especially those published by Charlton.
There are too many discrepancies between the Starlog Tech Manual & the actual series, which is a shame cuz Starlog really gave the show the attention it deserved...probably moreso than the scriptwriters so, that's iffy at best...
I didn't know "graphic novels "were published.
The novels published in the USA by Pocket & Warner...well, I DO consider those canon because they were written when the series was still current...Matter of fact, the episode novelizations, more often than not, do a good job of linking the episodes together.
Even the original novels released thru Fanderson wander off the trail a LOT more than the Pocket & Warner novels.
The Powys novels on the other hand (at least the ones I've read so far) take some episodes & flesh them out a bit. I WOULD consider "Eternity Unbound" canon cuz it's a great expansion on the story of Balor. I haven't read the other Powys novels yet...but, I will very soon! I give the Powys novels more leeway because the publisher sent me a "chronological" list of where the new stories fit into & around the episodes.
As far as fan fiction is concerned...it depends on the subject matter.
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #17
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer
 
Steve Gerard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: east coast U.S.A.
Posts: 3,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Sobral View Post
The novels published in the USA by Pocket & Warner...well, I DO consider those canon because they were written when the series was still current...Matter of fact, the episode novelizations, more often than not, do a good job of linking the episodes together.
Extremely good canon point about these Pocket & warner novels.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #18
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Branford, Connecticut USA
Posts: 665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
Extremely good canon point about these Pocket & warner novels.
You like that? Cool! A couple of favorite adaptations were of "Matter Of Life & Death" because, in the novelization the planet Terra Nova was actually the planet called "Meta" in the first episode. Another was "Black Sun" because that story was linked (and shortened a great deal) to another episode (I forget which one) in Book #1: "Breakaway"...
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
CR
Science Officer
 
CR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: wandering the universe
Posts: 5,472
Default

FYI: The Pocket/Warner novelizations were based upon the original shooting scripts, which is why they sometimes differ slightly from the actual filmed episodes.

Not to nitpick your post, David, but why are the Charlton Comics stuff any less canon than the Look-in stuff? Or is it all equal in your view? I only ask because both companies had some interesting tales to tell, as well as some 'bad' ones. But both started around the time the series was first run, too, and lasted for a while after. (I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of them being non-canon; I'm just curious.)

Last edited by CR; 12-10-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: added points
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #20
David A. Sobral
Eagle Pilot
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Branford, Connecticut USA
Posts: 665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
FYI: The Pocket (that was the US publisher, by the way) novelizations were based upon the original shooting scripts, which is why they sometimes differ slightly from the actual filmed episodes.

Not to nitpick your post, David, but why are the Charlton Comics stuff any less canon than the Look-in stuff? Or is it all equal in your view? I only ask because both companies had some interesting tales to tell, as well as some 'bad' ones. But both started around the time the series was first run, too, and lasted for a while after.
I don't consider the Charlton comics "canon" because...well...they were just BAD!! The artwork was OK but, the stories were juvenile & simplistic...way below the caliber of even Year Two...

I think it's subjective, though, depending on the individual.
David A. Sobral is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site and contents are copyright Bernard Walsh 2010 all rights reserved, no reproduction of material in any form without written permission email: Bernie.walsh@mac.com