Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 06-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default Planet of the Apes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
Not to be mean, but even as a kid, I noticed that the Eagle art was... wrong. Engines too small, cages not quite right. Granted, I'd built, played with and drawn pictures of the old MPC model kit; I had studied that like crazy, so I guess that's why I noticed when others were off. Granted, the MPC model wasn't accurate, either, but it wasn't as off as some of the various comic artists' interpretations. (And to be fair, I've seen other artists get the Eagle even more wrong than what's shown on the page up for auction!)

Still, it's instantly recognisable as an Eagle, and was drawn fairly consistently. (I've seen some comics where the Eagle seems to change from frame to frame, if memory serves me correctly!)
I knew as a kid, too. However, I liked the variants of the artists' interpretations of the EAGLE...with other artists too, like Gray Morrow. It was interesting seeing an artist's individual view of the iconic EAGLE TRANSPORTER

I remember the variants of the artists' interpretations of the A.N.S.A. SPACESHIP from "Planet Of The Apes" "Beneath The Planet Of The Apes" and "Escape From The Planet Of The Apes " too.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
I remember the variants of the artists' interpretations of the A.N.S.A. SPACESHIP from "Planet Of The Apes" "Beneath The Planet Of The Apes" and "Escape From The Planet Of The Apes " too.
Ah, as an aside, then...
http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/tableofcontents.html
Specific art & model stuff here, if you don't want to search that site... but really, it's a great site! Search it!
(ahem...) http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/allthings.htm and http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/artwork.html
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Thank you VERY much, CR, that is a GREAT site with lots of great pictures, drawings, blueprints, and models on display! Just fantastic!!!

William
williamtaylor1969 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default CR , thank you.

Quote:
Ah, as an aside, then...
http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/tableofcontents.html
Specific art & model stuff here, if you don't want to search that site... but really, it's a great site! Search it!
(ahem...) http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/allthings.htm and http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/artwork.html
CR, you are correct it is a great site. I found that Planet Of The Apes site back in 2004.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:46 AM   #5
CR
Science Officer

I found out about it back around then, too (2004 or 2005). Great compilation of all the info that's out there. I also like some of the extrapolated stuff about the story, like the idea that Brent's ship from the 2nd film was slightly different from Taylor's, and THAT was what the three apes return to Earth's past with in the third film.

Last edited by CR; 12-10-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: removed non-relevant parts

Old 08-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
I found out about it back around then, too (2004 or 2005). Great compilation of all the info that's out there. I also like some of the extrapolated stuff about the story, like the idea that Brent's ship from the 2nd film was slightly different from Taylor's, and THAT was what the three apes return to Earth's past with in the third film.

Yes, I agree, they do a great job explaining the gaffe of "ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES" A.N.S.A. Taylor's Spaceship as it is actually Brent's A.N.S.A. Spaceship...since the size and interior(3 seats) is nothing like A.N.S.A. Taylor's Spaceship(4 seats & 4 Suspended Animation Beds). "ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES" Brent's A.N.S.A. Spaceship interior(3 seats) was re-used for the 1974-75 TV Series "Planet Of The Apes".

Last edited by CR; 12-10-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: removed non-relevant parts
Old 09-10-2009, 03:46 AM   #7
CR
Science Officer

Drat! Forgot one last thing about the PotA ship... Notice how the inset windows bear a similarity to our beloved Eagles? Must be an Earth-spaceship-design thing...
Old 09-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Quote:
Drat! Forgot one last thing about the PotA ship... Notice how the inset windows bear a similarity to our beloved Eagles? Must be an Earth-spaceship-design thing...
Yes, but they forgot to put in the little eyeballs like on your craft! Heheheh

William
Old 09-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default A.N.S.A. and EAGLE

Quote:

Since, I had been a "Planet Of The Apes" fan prior. Yes, I wondered about that too, when I first saw the EAGLE in 1975 at eleven years old while watching "Breakaway".

A.N.S.A. and EAGLE do look like those windows establish an Earth based design. Two different Production Designers...I guess great minds do think alike.

Last edited by CR; 12-10-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: removed non-relevant parts
Old 10-10-2009, 05:02 AM   #10
CR
Science Officer

Well, perhaps Sirius Rocketry's SS Cestris is an ANSA/Eagle hybrid, then? http://www.siriusrocketry.com/SSCestris.htm
I'm talking about the nosecone in particular. http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/...roducts_id=138

Last edited by CR; 12-10-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: removed non-relevant parts

Old 10-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Sigh... I'm setting such a bad example with all this thread drift... Well, perhaps Sirius Rocketry's SS Cestris is an ANSA/Eagle hybrid, then? http://www.siriusrocketry.com/SSCestris.htm
I'm talking about the nosecone in particular. http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/...roducts_id=138
I never saw this rocketry kit SS. Cestris. It is an ANSA/Eagle hybrid...the designer must have used "Planet Of The Apes" ANSA & the EAGLE as the basis for this ship.

[Moderator edit: part of the discussion was about Charlton Comics.]
I agree 'Class Determination: Alien Insecta' spoiler was a common happening in alot of science-fiction. SPOILER WARNING: In "PLANET OF THE APES" 1968 movie, at least they revealed at the end...I always wondered there was the Moon END SPOILER ...perhaps it had "Breakaway" on September 13, 1999....another "SPACE:1999" and "PLANET OF THE APES" hybrid crossover story.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #12
CR
Science Officer

Back yet again to PotA, the original movie, the characters did note that there was fine dust in the atmosphere, and a strange glow in the sky at night; it's why they couldn't get an accurate fix (via stellar navigation--i.e. looking at the star positions) on their location. The dust may have had an aurora-like effect, and/or the moon's 'glow' was diffused through it. The point being, the moon was likely there, just not visible to the ANSA crew.

Last edited by CR; 12-10-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: removed non-relevant parts
Old 10-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #13
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Default CR, thank you for ending that mystery

Quote:
Back yet again to PotA, the original movie, the characters did note that there was fine dust in the atmosphere, and a strange glow in the sky at night; it's why they couldn't get an accurate fix (via stellar navigation--i.e. looking at the star positions) on their location. The dust may have had an aurora-like effect, and/or the moon's 'glow' was diffused through it. The point being, the moon was likely there, just not visible to the ANSA crew.
Back again...once again to POTA. CR, thank you for ending the mystery of why Taylor, Dodge, Landon and Brent did not see our MOON in orbit. I heard those lines in "PLANET OF THE APES" 1968 movie the countless times I have seen that film...now I know why they were written into the film.

Last edited by CR; 12-10-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: removed non-relevant parts
Old 10-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
Back again...once again to POTA. CR, thank you for ending the mystery of why Taylor, Dodge, Landon and Brent did not see our MOON in orbit. I heard those lines in "PLANET OF THE APES" 1968 movie the countless times I have seen that film...now I know why they were written into the film.
Well, the reason that they didn't see the moon in that movie, was because the moon got broken up and turned into rings around the Earth. I saw it happen with my own two eyes in the new "Time Machine" movie!

William
Old 11-10-2009, 04:31 AM   #15
CR
Science Officer

OK, that's weird. Someone at work just two hours ago was discussing with me the same thing about the moon in the recent Time Machine film... (Not any PotA connection, mind you, though we also discussed both the original & the Tim Burton re-imagining during the course of the conversation. It all stemmed from my co-worker asking about time travel in the Back to the Future series. )

Last edited by CR; 12-10-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: removed non-relevant parts

Old 12-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
williamtaylor1969
Geological Technician

[Moderator edit: topic drifted a little into Star Trek, and I'd responded more enthusiastically than I'd meant to, because, like, I'm over Star Trek. Really. I mean it this time.]
Hey, CR, that's okay, we all had times when we LOVED trek as well! But it's all SCIFI, and we fanboys (and girls) have got to stick together, and just accept each other for the fact that we all love it! Regardless if it is Space 1999, Trek, Star Wars, or BSG, or just some movies, like POTA series. It's all GOOD!!!!

William

Last edited by CR; 12-10-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: added note
Old 12-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #17
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtaylor1969 View Post
Hey, CR, that's okay, we all had times when we LOVED trek as well! But it's all SCIFI, and we fanboys (and girls) have got to stick together, and just accept each other for the fact that we all love it! Regardless if it is Space 1999, Trek, Star Wars, or BSG, or just some movies, like POTA series. It's all GOOD!!!!

William
Yes.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #18
CR
Science Officer

I'll have to disagree, guys, that it's all GOOD, as there is plenty of BAD Sci-fi out there. I shudder at the memory of some bad movies and tv shows I've subjected myself to over the years... Just my personal opinion, but the fact that something's SF doesn't automatically make it good.
But if I take your point to be that it's all FUN, bearing in mind the 'eye of the beholder' and all that, then I agree!
(And I do get the phrase "It's all good" as part of modern American language... it just reminded me that some people might take it literally, which led to my shudder-inducing memories. Um... I'm WAY over-thinking this, aren't I?)
Old 12-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
I'll have to disagree, guys, that it's all GOOD, as there is plenty of BAD Sci-fi out there. I shudder at the memory of some bad movies and tv shows I've subjected myself to over the years... Just my personal opinion, but the fact that something's SF doesn't automatically make it good.
But if I take your point to be that it's all FUN, bearing in mind the 'eye of the beholder' and all that, then I agree!
WilliamTaylor1969 was precise enough for me when he wrote: "Regardless if it is Space 1999, Trek, Star Wars, or BSG, or just some movies, like POTA series. It's all GOOD!!!!"

The only problem might be derived from what those some movies actually are?
CR, beware, you might be right about some people taking the it's all good...literally.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
CR
Science Officer

Well, not that I consider this a bad film, but it illustrates my 'eye of the beholder' point: Logan's Run. I love that movie. And I also am very fond of PotA (If that isn't obvious by now, it never will be.) And there are things I actually liked about the re-imagined PotA, too, though I detested the ending; it was not a surprise and felt tacked on in an effort to 'outdo' the original.
Notice how I deftly avoided pointing out what films I consider bad?