SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 05-10-2005, 01:52 AM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default Testor's Dulcote

I feel the need to seal!

Anyone know a good source of this in the UK? Beleive it or not, my local 'model shop' hadn't even heard of it...

Tips for application? Alternatives?
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:02 AM   #2
w8cmp
Science Officer

I've never found a really good matt or satin coat that doesn't have drawbacks.

There's nothing worse than completing a great looking model - decals on gloss paint etc, and then applying a matt or satin coat, only to find you suddenly have an 'orange peel' effect all over your little masterpiece.

I tried Xtracolour varnishes, and ended up with white flecks of some sort all over the model. While the varnish was clear, something happened on the way through the airbrush which caused some sort of crystallisation.

I'd love some advice on a good coating that can be applied and leave that perfectly smooth finish that we all need for our Eagles.
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
shrugger
Eagle Pilot

A friend of mine is a master, scale Armor builder and right now he's working
on some really, really tiny modern German stuff (What scale is really,really tiny?)
Anyway.. I'll ask him how he gets the finish on his stuff so perfectly smooth and
flat. I know he uses Future® as the surface for the decals, but after that
I've no idea.
shrugger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Humbrol's matt varnish is one of the best. It's basically matt polyurethane varnish. It needs thinning with white spirit if you buy it in the little tins for spraying and then you have to dust it on in thin coats. It can be brushed on neat but make sure it's stirred well. Even then, the brushed finish can be a bit hit and miss. It also yellows with age particularly if the model is kept somewhere hot. Humbrol also offer the same thing (in theory) already in an aerosol and this is probably the route to go. It goes on thinly but shake the can vigorously before hand. It does take a couple of days to completely dry out so avoid handling too much.

The other excellent alternative is Microscale Micro Flat. It's available from Hannant's in Norfolk/Suffolk (?) or you might find it in some of the better model shops. It's water based and needs to be sprayed through an airbrush but it's thinned with water, cleans up in water (but only while it's still wet) and there's no appreciable smell. I was always sceptical about water based products but I have to admit that it's very, very good. They also do Micro Satin and Micro Gloss and it's all fully compatible with Microscale's decal system. If applied too thickly, it can look milky but you only need a thin coat and it doesn't appear to yellow with age.

Hannants also carry their own range of paints and have a massive stock of aftermarket decals.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
KrokoHunter
Travel Tube Technician

My experience with Humbrol is, like Chris says, that it yellows.

I've in a converting stage, turning to acrylics. Especially Vallejo Air and Lifecolor. I've used Lifecolours varnishes, with good results, but it's only a year ago, so a bit early to tell if it will yellow.

I think Vallejo also makes both primers and varnishes on spraycans. I haven't been able to track these yet, but hope to, because I'm sick and tired of riggin the airbrush, every time a model needs a bit of primer.

Cheers
Niels
KrokoHunter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Testors Dulcote can be obtained in the UK from this company.

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Misc/miscellaneous.htm

As Chris mentioned Humbrol Matt varnish is good, takes a while to thoroughly dry out though, and its not quite as expensive as the Dulcote.

There is another easily available product on the market that may serve your purposes, Citadel Miniatures 'Purity Seal' varnish, 400ml for around £6.00 I use this quite a bit on miniatures, although for some reason the new cans have it advertised as satin? (I have always had a matt finish using it), and is available from any Games Workshop store.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
KrokoHunter
Travel Tube Technician

I actually think, I have an old can of Citadel Matt Varnish ... Perhaps I should experiment a bit with it .....

I guess the reason why I've never used it, is because I was never that fond of their White Primer.. When I used it, it tended to get very textured or "grainy" on the surface, to which it was applied ... Not ideal on small W40K figures.

Cheers
Niels
KrokoHunter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #8
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Actually - why do we seal models anyway?....

Most of mine are in acrylic display cases so is there any need?

Old 05-10-2005, 04:47 PM   #9
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

There are some good reasons. It's currently the vogue to finish models in gloss paint or add a gloss coat so that the decals have a smooth surface to adhere to and to avoid the dreaded "silvering". A subsequent coat helps to hide the edges of the decals, gives a matt finish if that's required and seals any weathering that might have been applied with powders or pencil lead which might otherwise smudge with handling. However, if none of the above applies, then there's absolutely no point in adding an unnecessary extra layer of gloop with all the added risk of a last minute cock up.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:32 PM   #10
multivac
Hydroponics Technician

Default Re: Testor's Dulcote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
I feel the need to seal!

Anyone know a good source of this in the UK? Beleive it or not, my local 'model shop' hadn't even heard of it...

Tips for application? Alternatives?
LSWR models, no shop but attends model railway shows and has mail order.
e-mail is lswrpenguin@onetel.com
multivac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2005, 06:43 PM   #11
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Thanks all!
Old 06-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #12
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

Beware Testors Dullcote. I've used it many times myself, but learned the hard way not to use it on flat white or pale grey kits.

I once put dullcote over a rescue eagle pod. A year later I noticed that my red stripes had faded somewhat, and the flat white was now a sort of pale "varnish yellow" .....
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:48 PM   #13
multivac
Hydroponics Technician

With all the coatings mentioned seeming to yellow over time can anyone recommend a matt coating that does not yellow?
multivac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:22 AM   #14
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The Microscale products mentioned above don't yellow.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:34 PM   #15
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Been doing a bit of research and apparently Dullcoat is lacquer based (i.e, like car sprays, it has a strong solvent base) which means it's can pickle up some paints like enamels. I'd be very cautious using it on anything painted with "modelling" paints.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:04 PM   #16
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Just to add to the confusion, it appears that Humbrol have now changed the formula of their matt varnish in a spray can. Now get this. It's called Humbrol Modellers Spray Paint and it's got a photo of an Airfix Spitfire and a model racing saloon on it. It says suitable for plastic kits, polycarbonate, wood and metal. On the cap is a warning label saying do NOT spray over enamel or water based paints (i.e. acrylics).

So let's see. It's a modeller's spray paint that you can't use on the two commonest forms of modelling paint including both of Humbrol's main range of paints. And you wonder why Humbrol are struggling at the moment?