Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > A Matter of Balance

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Default "Super" Moon coming soon!

http://www.space.com/11084-supermoon...disasters.html

Wonder if we'll be able to see Alpha??

Anybody have a good camera?
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

You won't notice the difference!

And I see that it is an astrologer who is quoted at the beginning of the article, not an astronomer. Why even bother with him?

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
VTracy
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
You won't notice the difference!

And I see that it is an astrologer who is quoted at the beginning of the article, not an astronomer. Why even bother with him?

Keith
Agreed. But if you read the whole article, they get to the science
VTracy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
Doomsday
Communications Officer

Not near enough to cause any "disasters"
The Moon will be a bit brighter, that's all.
Doomsday is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
alfalfa
Communications Officer

Well I for one will be putting an EXTRA tin of corned beef on the shopping list.

You can't be too careful.

Thanks for the heads up.
alfalfa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
Doomsday
Communications Officer

Mmmmm........corned beef......nom nom nom!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49602360@N00/
Old 11-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Doomsday
Communications Officer

Just as well the Japanese Earthquake didn't happen next week.
The guy would be claiming he was right.
Unless this is just the beginning..............of the end!!!!!!
It's all coincidences.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49602360@N00/
Old 12-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
RedTrev
Hydroponics Technician

If you know anyone who is still worried, this should hopefully set their mind at rest: Bad Astronomy Blog. Totally de-bunks any causality between the Moon and the Japan earthquake.
RedTrev is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #9
CR
Science Officer

I figured Phil Plait was going to tackle this. (I haven't had time to read it, but I'll get caught up later.)

I used to think that the Earth-Moon gravity thing relating to volcanoes & earthquakes might have had some merit... just look at what gravity/tidal forces do to Jupiter's moon Io. But it's a matter of actual distance & mass, really... although the moon definitely has an effect on Earth (look at water tides), I don't know that it has a tremendous effect on tectonics. Or, as has been said, it's effect is so slight that it doesn't really factor in. Earth's active mantle & crustal plates have more immediate effect than our (relatively) distant moon. (As an aside, think of it another way: as huge as Jupiter is, my body standing next to you will have more gravitational effect on you.) And besides, there hasn't seemed to be a regular enough correlation/cycle between quakes/volcanism and the lunar position to prove a direct connection... I haven't crunched the numbers, but surely a pattern, if it existed at all, would have shown up a looooong time ago after even a cursory look at the numbers.

Last edited by CR; 13-03-2011 at 12:16 AM.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTracy View Post
Agreed. But if you read the whole article, they get to the science
the so called person whoever wort that artical must have been smoking a pille of B.S. or eating it.
starlord is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

astrologer are full of BS. every time I read something from those bumbs I do not beleive in them at all.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #12
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

the moon deals with the water on earth, the efect it might ohave on the inside of the earth totalys nex to zero.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
Andy2035
Geological Technician

The moon is actually hollow, it's where "THEY" live and watch us...

Andy...
Andy2035 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #14
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

just another bunch of BS from one of those brainless ones who feel that they know all kinds of things. and they are about as smart as someone with a IQ od -10.
Old 13-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #15
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
I figured Phil Plait was going to tackle this. (I haven't had time to read it, but I'll get caught up later.)

I used to think that the Earth-Moon gravity thing relating to volcanoes & earthquakes might have had some merit... just look at what gravity/tidal forces do to Jupiter's moon Io. But it's a matter of actual distance & mass, really... although the moon definitely has an effect on Earth (look at water tides), I don't know that it has a tremendous effect on tectonics. Or, as has been said, it's effect is so slight that it doesn't really factor in. Earth's active mantle & crustal plates have more immediate effect than our (relatively) distant moon. (As an aside, think of it another way: as huge as Jupiter is, my body standing next to you will have more gravitational effect on you.) And besides, there hasn't seemed to be a regular enough correlation/cycle between quakes/volcanism and the lunar position to prove a direct connection... I haven't crunched the numbers, but surely a pattern, if it existed at all, would have shown up a looooong time ago after even a cursory look at the numbers.
Read the book"What if the Moon Didn't Exist". I think that you might find it interesting.
eaglewingone is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #16
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglewingone View Post
Read the book"What if the Moon Didn't Exist". I think that you might find it interesting.
I have, actually. Been a few years since I read it (when it was first released), but I remember the various scenarios presented each had a wildly different Earth depending upon the moon's existence, proximity, and so on. (For all S99 fans, no, the moon being blasted out of orbit in a nuclear catastrophe was not one of the scenarios!)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 05:58 AM   #17
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR View Post
I have, actually. Been a few years since I read it (when it was first released), but I remember the various scenarios presented each had a wildly different Earth depending upon the moon's existence, proximity, and so on. (For all S99 fans, no, the moon being blasted out of orbit in a nuclear catastrophe was not one of the scenarios!)
Nuclear waste explosions caused electromagnetic properties is not far from the truth. When the DOE was building Yucca Flats nuclear waste depository, a concern that a large amount of waste stored there and cause a strong electromagnetic field would then cause an explosion.Uranium and Plutonium have strong electromagnetic properties. The DOE is currently working on turning nuclear waste into power sources from everything to portable energy sources for soldiers in the field, secondary power sources for military bases(which most of them do not secondary systems) to particle beam weapons mounted on ships and satellites.In theory, these generators will have the power up to five megawatts and last up to 400 years. They are called Nuclear Accelerated Generators and its in the experimental stages and getting close to a working model.These generators will be much stronger than the current RTGs in service today. In the USA alone, there is something around 100 million gallons of this atomic waste sitting in tanks,caskets,and moon pools. Minus use the Strontium-90 in this waste and use it as an energy source.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 14-07-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 14-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #18
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:
Nuclear waste explosions caused electromagnetic properties is not far from the truth. When the DOE was building Yucca Flats nuclear waste depository, a concern that a large amount of waste stored there and cause a strong electromagnetic field would then cause an explosion.Uranium and Plutonium have strong electromagnetic properties. The DOE is currently working on turning nuclear waste into power sources from everything to portable energy sources for soldiers in the field, secondary power sources for military bases(which most of them do not secondary systems) to particle beam weapons mounted on ships and satellites.In theory, these generators will have the power up to five megawatts and last up to 400 years. They are called Nuclear Accelerated Generators and its in the experimental stages and getting close to a working model.These generators will be much stronger than the current RTGs in service today. In the USA alone, there is something around 100 million gallons of this atomic waste sitting in tanks,caskets,and moon pools. Minus use the Strontium-90 in this waste and use it as an energy source.
I was thinking that if you have enough of these generators putting out 5 megawatts of energy around a base each, and then you link and cross link the power with some Tesla technology together you might have a primitive electromagnetic "shield", like in "Black Sun". It would not be permanent one only temporary. The mathematics would have to be worked out for something like this.

Last edited by eaglewingone; 14-07-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 16-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #19
eaglewingone
Communications Officer

Quote:

Here is what the battery looks like

Old 05-09-2011, 02:13 AM   #20
starlord
Astrophysics Technician

that guy is about as good as a $3.00 bill and he should be flushed away.