Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-12-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

Default Avatar

Well, after yesterdays depressing news that this forum was closing I thought the omens for this film were beginning to look a liittle dark.So ,as I guessed this would be my last post here, I hoped that I would have something good to say about it.
Well its not good.
It is absolutley ****ING BRILLIANT!!!
Watching it gave me a thrill exactly like the first time I saw "Starwars". Visually it is absolutely stunning to watch in 3D.It has a beauty to it that is breathtaking!!!
And, for once in a film that relies heavily on CGI, it has also a moving story that will appeal to everyone . James Cameron has an amazing ability to give his characters wonderful humanity, even the very alien ones. The acting, via the CGI is at a level of realisim that is completely believable. The "Eyes" for once have it.
And the artwork and design on this film is of a level of complexity and skill I have not seen rendered in any film for along time, if ever.It is literally jaw dropping to watch !!!
I cannot recommend this film enough!!! If anyone is at all put off by the apparently long running time believe me when I say it just "literally does fly" passed. The flight scenes with the Banshees are works of art in themselves!!!
And the battles!!!
Absolutely the best I have seen since LOTR, and, I have to say seeing as WETA did them, another brilliant step up in realism.
Go see this film!!!!
And banish the forum closing blues!!
Don't be late for this party!
Known Space is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
CR
Science Officer

When I saw the first trailer for this some time ago, I remarked to MrsCR that it looks like Cameron has finally pulled out all the stops and produced a film that has anything and everything he wants. If anyone could pull it off, it would likely be him; would anyone else be able, be allowed to go so completely wild? Technology issues aside, would even he have been able to do this a few years ago, even with so many successful films in his lineup?

Anyway, it looks interesting. I was hoping it wasn't just a sfx film, and had hope based on past experience with Cameron stories & characters. Plus, in a rare (for me) bit of "wow!", I actually want to see this for its sfx.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
DARKVIEW
Deputy Commander

off to see it tonightD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Official website:

DARKVIEW is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
ÁguiaLusa
Forum Supporter

The film opened yesterday in Portugal. I was watching and… it is really brilliant
ÁguiaLusa is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Garuda
Eagle Pilot

I have sen the film too just before Christmas. I was able to see it in a cinema with 3D technology.

Most of all, I was impressed with the beauty of the alien scenery, especially enhanced by the 3D perspective. It's a really fascinating alien rainforest they've created, with some very interesting plants and wildlife. The aliens felt real and as individuals, not just CGI characters.

The story worked fine, even if it's easy to see the same story with a greedy corporation and noble savages, rewritten from Earth setting to an SF environment. Even if a bit predictable, I was anyway surprised at a few turns. Don't want to say more, as many have not seen it yet.

The 3D effect was better than I thought (even ducked in my seat once, but I was not alone). However, I look forward to having this technology at home some day (?), as I was disturbed by cramped seats, popcorn eaters, noisy people etc, which is why I normally see new movies at home with the DVD release these days.

All in all, again, the intense beauty of the film is my most lasting memory. I would recommend it to anyone. In 3D if you have the opportunity.

Last edited by Garuda; 29-12-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Garuda is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
Tim Smith
Communications Officer

By far that was the prettiest alien environment I think I've ever seen, anywhere. Except for all the things that might try to have you for lunch, looks like a very nice place to visit,especially at night. A very dream like world. Some of the plot was a bit weak, and my son and I both noticed some obvious Hollywood foaming a the mouth political statements that just made no sense at all thrown into the dialog. Except for that I'd say it's worth a watch and some fine entertainment.
Tim Smith is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #7
Guest01
Alphan

AWESOME film
Guest01 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 02:57 AM   #8
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Do you still have to wear those daft glasses?
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

Yep, but you won't notice them once the 3D starts. They are very light weight.Just like popping on a pair of sunglasses, except that the world really does get to look better!
It seems Avatar is really doing the business at the box office and is already at the $614 million mark!!! Its certainly seems to be doing the repeat business ala Titanic ,which is great news as this will probably ensure a follow up. There certainly seems to be alot of scope for a sequel!
Old 28-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
Transporter
Life Support Officer

I've seen it in 2D only (yet) and I am really excited. It has been a long time since a movie made such an impact on me. Can't wait to get my hands on some decent models from Avatar.
Transporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Default Avatar models....

I have to agree, it was spectacular. The 3D was superb, imagine Star Wars being made like this?

There are some great looking machines and devices in this movie and not a laser beam in sight.

Most impressive.

Cap'n
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 03:25 AM   #12
Eagle
Commander Ret.

We saw it yesterday. 3D has finally come of age. This is a must-see - if only to see how far cinematography has advanced, never mind the superb CGI.

Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
Dave
Communications Officer

Woah! The film's flippin' awesome dudes!

Recon I'll be watcing that again soon!

A couple of nods to 'Aliens' I thought.
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Here's the downside to the new rules, I really really need to use some expletives to describe how abso- *@#/!*&-lutely brilliant I thought this was, A 'nod' to Aliens no, A #@&*!?! great big hats off to ya, to Aliens and oh wouldn't Thunderbirds or UFO be God's gift if given the treatment these colossal craft had.

And the Oscar for artistic merit goes to......................................

And the Oscar for Outstanding achievement for scenery goes to...........................

And the Oscar for Best Computer Animated feature goes to..................................
and I suspect the list may get longer still. Who gives a hoot about the tree hugging hippie mesage when the sights and sights are this good?
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 02:08 AM   #15
tx4
Medical Technician

"Avatar" is an absolutely stunning movie, in my opinion.

First, to get the obvious discussion points.... I would definitely recommend the 3D version, if you can get to it. Absolutely stunning scenery, depth, flying scenes, battle scenes, and even the smaller things like scenes in a control room (control panels, digital pads, holographic systems that the characters worked with), or just people in a room, just look so realistic in 3-D. Even occasional Floating drops or wisps of things that seemed almost in front of your face -- and even purposefully out of focus at times, like they would be when you're looking at the main part of the scene deeper in and something's floating by your face, almost.

Yet, I find myself frequently thinking about the characterization, the plot, the points of humor and sadness, a lot afterwards, and when it reaches second-run or DVD, I will still be happy to see it again in 2D. The themes are not unfamiliar, but are several, all well handled for the most part I think. Yes, a bit heavy-handed or over the top at times, but that detracted little from the numerous strengths of the movie, IMO. Cameron didn't go for special effects at the expense of the story, did not get sloppy in consistency, and had very good actors, IMO. The setup (planet, flora, fauna, alien people, language, etc.) seemed very well thought out and very detailed as well.

Coolest hardware? Well, all of it was great and detailed, really, but those recon helicopters -- got to find one of them first! They looked and "flew" so realistically in my opinion (not that I'm a pilot or anything) that I kept wondering if someone could build them for real in a decade or two!

Eagle: Not sure what sort of glasses you were thinking of, but these are not those old red/blue glasses of mostly thin cardboard. As Known Space pointed out, they look and seem a lot like sunglasses (so much so they had warnings on their wrapping that they are not safe to use as sunglasses), and fit over my own regular glasses just fine, and I barely noticed them afterwards (just my experience). They had grey "lenses" that I assume were each polarized at a different angle. It was interesting to remove the glasses for brief moments just to see what was up on the screen (i.e. to get an idea how it was being done).

Is there just this one new standard at all 3-D screens? Mine were the "RealD 3D" glasses, and an ad just before the movie mentioned that name too. I can't imagine there being any more than the one 3-D version and the 2-D version, or they'd have a lot of complexity printing and distributing copies of this movie.

In terms of 3-D film or even filming techniques in general, this really is a major step forward, I think. What the LOTR movie trilogy did for grandeur and CGI detail, "Avatar" took yet another step forward, and I was not surprised to see Weta was involved.

Last edited by tx4; 31-12-2009 at 02:10 AM. Reason: minor formatting problem; minor rewording for clarity
tx4 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-12-2009, 03:29 AM   #16
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The film shouldn't be about the 3D. It should be a good 2D film in its own right. The 3D should just be the icing on the cake in the same way that special effects don't necessarily make a good film. Most of the reviews have been positive though so I'll stay hopeful until I've seen it which will probably be this weekend. Not sure it is anything new in 3D though despite the spin. "Fantasia 2000" was Imax 3D as was "Polar Express" and "Beowulf". I don't think this technology is anything different other than the CGI being a little better. It still uses glasses with polarised lenses, one polarised vertically and one horizontally with the two screen images projected through polarising filters. For that matter, "Jaws 3D" was shot that way so the 3D technology is actually very old.

In fact I vaguely remember that Hitchcocks "The Birds" was originally intended to be 3D (but was too scary) and "Dial M For Murder" was 3D too which makes it VERY old technology.

Last edited by DX-SFX; 31-12-2009 at 03:42 AM.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #17
Known Space
Eagle Pilot

In fairness, I think the film will easily stand up in 2D as in 3.It was just that it looks so spectacular as a 3D production. Mind bending.I shall be off to see it again after the kids go back to school! The crowds to get into see it at the moment are huge.
The first film in 3D I had seen in about thirty years was "UP", but as it was a total animation I didn't expect it to add to the "realism" the way 3D did with "Avatar". Interestingly, I found "UP" the more personally moving of the two.I shall admit to having a tear in my eye in the first ten minutes, which really surprised me, but Pixar always seem to manage to grab you by the heart at some level. Oh, and I laughed a lot more at "UP" but that was a down to the Doug.
All in all its been a really great year for films! Star Trek, District 9, Moon, and Avatar really thrilled me way beyond what I had expected and were top notch productions, all in their own very distictly individual ways.Which is down to their none hollywood directors I guess!
Personally I am in awe of Avatar. The design that went into it was stunning (I've just picked up the Art of the Film book) and the way it looked on the screen blew my socks complete off. Really, really an experience in cinema that stays with you. Fantastic.
Old 31-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #18
Dave
Communications Officer

I'd never seen a 3D film at the cinema until Avatar. However, the next day went to see 'Christmas Carol' which was also pretty cool (3D wise)! Same techniques, same glasses.
Dave is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 AM   #19
Slartibartfast
Weapons Technician

Took my daughter and her friend to see this on New Year's Eve.

There's no justice if Cameron doesn't walk away with Best Oscar again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX View Post
It still uses glasses with polarised lenses, one polarised vertically and one horizontally with the two screen images projected through polarising filters. For that matter, "Jaws 3D" was shot that way so the 3D technology is actually very old.

In fact I vaguely remember that Hitchcocks "The Birds" was originally intended to be 3D (but was too scary) and "Dial M For Murder" was 3D too which makes it VERY old technology.
Tut, tut, Chris - I'm surprised at you Apparently the "RealD" system uses circular polarised light, one channel clockwise and the other counter-clockwise. Some sort of fancy-dan filter oscillates rapidly to alternate them (damnit, I'm a water engineer not a projectionist - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealD_Cinema). My curiosity was aroused when I looked at my daughter wearing her glasses in the cinema and couldn't get my head around being able to see both her eyes clearly.

I saw "Jaws 3D" back in the day, I thought that used the corny old red and green glasses...? Whatever they used, it didn't work very well.

As Eagle says, 3D cinema has truly come of age with Avatar.
Slartibartfast is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #20
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I look forward to being impressed then.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote