Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

2001 A Space Odyssey behind-the-scenes

Michel Van

Alphans
More behind the scenes from 2001, I don't know about anyone else but I find them all fascinating.
I wonder what ever happened to the 2001 car?

so far i know were that concept cars from General Motors.

the three cars in screen inside Pan Am shuttle
were the Mako Shark I, the Runabout and the Firebird IV

The Mako Shark I is in the GM Heritage Center Collection.
The Firebird IV and Runabout, i have no idea maybe same collection.

source
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=22524
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=22440

A fresh pair of eyes....

....last Thursday I awarded myself the luxury of watching 2001 again. My youngest, thirteen, came down in his pyjamas and took up residence on the settee just as the dominant apes use their tools to win back the waterhole, leading to the famous jump-cut. As we watched the sun, Moon and Earth line up, and the first pass of the spacecraft, a voice piped up "That looks just like Space 1999...."

I had to explain the difference in filming dates. Sense of wonder - even having seen countless science-fiction, fantasy and "super-hero" films, when the hostess walked up the curved wall and entered the pilots' cabin upside down, I heard "Gosh, how does she manage to do that?!?!"

Just shows that sometimes the oldies are still up there with the best - he also found Hitchcock's "Strangers On A Train" extremely riveting the following night. Ah, to look upon these wonders for the first time again......

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Glad to hear the younger generation still appreciate the classics. I'm always jealous of people who are seeing certain films for the first time and hopefully come away with a sense of wonder.
2001 is a great film and one of my favourites, the visuals still stand today as first class work and not a cgi scene anywhere. Its hard to believe but 50 years ago they were busy making this film, where has the time gone?

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Pass The Popcorn!

Absolutely agree - I could still watch it at the proverbial drop of the hat, and still enjoy it! :lol:

Turner Classic Movies recently showed the restored version of Metropolis; still up there with the greats (you're so caught up in the action, you don't even realize it's silent!), and in a virtual dead-heat with Things To Come as my favorite SF film, with 2001 right behind! :yes: :yes: :yes:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Here are some more pics from 2001 I came across. If I've posted any before I apologise.

Attachments

• 2001 models.jpg
    2001 models.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 128
  • original-25243-1401441134-9.jpg
    original-25243-1401441134-9.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 70
  • original-24690-1401441135-6.jpg
    original-24690-1401441135-6.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 79
  • mgm%202001%20pod%20gavin%20rothery%20400p.jpg
    mgm%202001%20pod%20gavin%20rothery%20400p.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 60
  • enhanced-buzz-wide-12971-1401441142-7.jpg
    enhanced-buzz-wide-12971-1401441142-7.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2001-11aslkdfnafafn.jpg
    2001-11aslkdfnafafn.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 2001-10aslkdjaff.jpg
    2001-10aslkdjaff.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 2001-04asdakdasdj.jpg
    2001-04asdakdasdj.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 2001-02asffafasds.jpg
    2001-02asffafasds.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 69
No need.....

....even if you have posted them before, they're just as good when they come round again. All of these technicians knew what they were doing, didn't they? Can you imagine coming in to work one morning and then being faced with the list of technical challenges set by Mr Kubrick?

Kindest regards

Patrick

EddieL

Alphans
I love the look on Arthur's face.

Not many writers see their books come to life like that, and there he is, standing inside one of the spaceships from his story.

Very satisfying.

Cheers
Eddie

badsimmonds

Alphans
Here are some more behind the scenes I came across, hope you like them.

The second one shows FX Supervisor Wall Veevers with an early version of the Discovery ship. Imagine building something like that just for a concept.

The third photo is part of the moonbus set I believe which was next to the curved section of the space station set.

Attachments

• tumblr_mc1yp2MjeH1rz7c5mo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mc1yp2MjeH1rz7c5mo1_500.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 49
  • monnbus_set_construction2.jpg
    monnbus_set_construction2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 2001-Veevers.jpg
    2001-Veevers.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 2001 8.jpg
    2001 8.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 56

badsimmonds

Alphans
....and some more.

Attachments

• kubrick%20point%20cells.jpg
    kubrick%20point%20cells.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 60
  • BTS2001A17.jpg
    BTS2001A17.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 57
  • BTS2001A12.jpg
    BTS2001A12.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 48
  • bts-2001-4bw.jpg
    bts-2001-4bw.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 2001-06askfdjaoif.jpg
    2001-06askfdjaoif.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 789x530x2.jpg
    789x530x2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 770x507x2.jpg
    770x507x2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 53

badsimmonds

Alphans
I came across this photo showing one of the 13" Discovery Pod models.
I just can't imagine anyone throwing these superb models in the fire, hopefully someone might have taken some bits home as we saw recently when the Aries 1b model resurfaced after all these years.
Is that part of a full size mechanical Pod arm on the shelf?

Attachments

• 2001 model pod.jpg
    2001 model pod.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 97

rbodwell

Alphans
Only a master like Kubrick could bring those images in Arthur C. Clarke's head to the screen.... Proud indeed.
Love them!

Glad to hear the younger generation still appreciate the classics. I'm always jealous of people who are seeing certain films for the first time and hopefully come away with a sense of wonder.
2001 is a great film and one of my favourites, the visuals still stand today as first class work and not a cgi scene anywhere. Its hard to believe but 50 years ago they were busy making this film, where has the time gone?

Mine tried to watch it with me but got confused- he kept trying to figure out who the good guys and the bad guys were. I explained that in this film there were no battles or explosions, it was about exploring. He watched for a while longer and then went off to blow something up on his video game.

(sigh) - I was about his age he is when I first saw it in Cinerama and I was in heaven. With everything today filling the screen with epic battles and good vs evil it is not too surprising to have this mentality- even Star Trek has lost the exploration in favor of defeating the evil guy in a super ship thing...

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Richard

I agree about the direction Star Trek has taken. It was much more interesting (to me anyway) when they were discovering new life forms etc. Unfortunately like too many things death and destruction seem to rule the roost.

Ham Salad

Alphans
Hi Richard

I agree about the direction Star Trek has taken. It was much more interesting (to me anyway) when they were discovering new life forms etc. Unfortunately like too many things death and destruction seem to rule the roost.

There's this theory about narrative film that it's all about conflict...so it's an easy way out to make the conflict the plotline, AND the story, instead of the motivation behind things.

The problem with making STAR TREK all about battle is that if you do that, there's no real reason the story has to be set in space, or even in the future.

I came across this photo showing one of the 13" Discovery Pod models.
I just can't imagine anyone throwing these superb models in the fire, hopefully someone might have taken some bits home as we saw recently when the Aries 1b model resurfaced after all these years.
Is that part of a full size mechanical Pod arm on the shelf?

Douglas Trumball has one of the original 13" pods still intact.