Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

2001 Aries 1B Model Odd Scale

McTodd

Alphans
Many years ago (around 2001, appropriately enough) I started making a scratchbuilt model of the Aries 1B from 2001 (it's one of my all-time favourite spaceship designs) with a view to possibly producing it as a resin kit (at the time there was only Captain Cardboard's kit, which I think was 1/87 scale, and an older Lunar Models kit). For various reasons, I abandoned the project after a short time, during which I had made several major components.

Because there wasn't nearly as much information out thereabout the dimensions of the 'real' thing as there is now, I reckoned my model (based on 107mm diameter plastic EMA hemispheres) was around 1/96 scale, which is a fairly standard ship scale, albeit not a common spaceship scale.

Now, looking at the information I've gathered since, I find that the thing is closer to 1/110 scale, which is a totally weird uncommon scale (a quick google search revealed a handful of kits in 1/110 scale, which actually surprised me as I expected none!).

I'm now thinking of completing it and making moulds etc. so as to produce a resin kit, but before going to the trouble my question is this: would anybody be interested in a kit of the Aries 1B to such an odd scale? Especially as there are other kits now available, such as Stargazer's 1/144 and AJA Models' 1/48, which are to standard scales (and in the case of Stargazer's it fits with several other 2001 kits he's made to a common scale)?

I should add that when I say 'interested' I don't mean I'm looking for people to commit to buying a kit (if I ever make it), I merely seek opinions as to whether there would be a market for a model kit to a unique scale.

I've attached photos of the parts I made all those years ago.

Attachments

• Aries1B-1 McTodd.jpg
    Aries1B-1 McTodd.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Aries1B-4 McTodd.jpg
    Aries1B-4 McTodd.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Aries1B-5 McTodd.jpg
    Aries1B-5 McTodd.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 10
  • Aries1B-6 McTodd.jpg
    Aries1B-6 McTodd.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 23
  • Aries1B-7 McTodd.jpg
    Aries1B-7 McTodd.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Aries1B-9 McTodd.jpg
    Aries1B-9 McTodd.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Aries1B-11 McTodd.jpg
    Aries1B-11 McTodd.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Aries1B-15 McTodd.jpg
    Aries1B-15 McTodd.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

McTodd

Alphans
Having consulted The Spaceship Handbook by Jack Hagerty and Jon Rogers, my model scales out to 1/125. According to Adam K Johnson's 2001: The Lost Science, it scales out to 1/120. As Adam Johnson recently released a stunning large kit of the Aries 1B, I shall defer to his figures, so that makes my model 1/120, which is not quite so oddball as 1/110...

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Nice work indeed.

Can you give a height dimension of your model?

2001 is a firm favourite of mine, I have an ongoing Space Station V model slowly rising from the raw materials.... :wtf: