Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

2001: Space Station V Project

stargazer

Alphans
WOW and WOW again...:eek:

Well... one Walsh to another

using my calculation for a full size station :D

that makes Capt sf model 1/612 scale, (and Orion would be just slightly over 4 inches) see here

http://www.planet3earth.co.uk/2001 page 3.htm

The chances are, they used the same basic sphere moulding for both the one man pods and Discovery CM.

Indeed see here :D

http://www.planet3earth.co.uk/2001_a_space_odyssey.htm

http://www.planet3earth.co.uk/stargazer models for sale.htm

Last edited:

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
New mods to help out....

Hi Lee,

There soon will be yes.

My poor home workshop is all dusty and covered in cob webs but I have pushed hard in the last few months to get more people involved in running the forum.

I have asked a few new mods to help set up and run a new area of the board dealing with the Supermarionation puppets, one mod has been appointed, one more approached and he has asked for a little time to sort out a few personal issues. So I am waiting it out until he is ready.

Then all I have to do is complete the next level of structure for the board and make it public - our playground is getting bigger. :D

I have three threads I want to run with again, this one, SID & Robert the Robot in that order.

Stalled but not forgotten.

Cap'n

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
I feel I am going in circles....

Hi Guys,

I am splitting this thread from Donald's look at the 2010 movie miniatures here: http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9908&highlight=space+station

For the last 6 months or so I have been working on a large contract for one of my biggest customers. It has kept me out of my workshop for any meaningful time. The contract is concluded and I am now picking this project up again with the intention of completing at least the basic structure. At that point I will send out what you see as a set of cut parts and some supplies (acrylic tubing etc). I am inviting others to offer casting or detailing sets for the finishing touches and to keep the price down to a reasonable level.

A model of this type is a major undertaking and I was considering this project as a learning experience in CAD design and to explore the possibilities of producing structures like this in kit form. I think I have learned many of the techniques required to do just that.

There are many more projects that could be made in this manner and it opens a whole catalogue of models that would be impossible to make at a kit price. I can see it would be perfectly possible to build say a Battlestar Galactica Studio scale model using this frame cutting and panelling technique so the builder could add their own detailing following the cheapest method available. This could be done either with buying the kits as used on the original model or buying a detailing kit of castings to accomplish the same job which ever would be cheapest at the time.

The end result would be very accurately engineered, very light in weight for it's volume, have ample room for lighting and control systems and huge cost savings over large model castings. As the basic structure is flat packed, shipping anywhere would be easier and cheaper. The model kit could be bought in stages as building progressed and budget allowed, but the biggest advantage of all is not snowballing costs shipping components around that could be sourced within the local domestic market so keeping the costs down further. I am aiming for a relatively cheap and easy supply of made to order kits

I really do think this method of building is worth pursuing and welcome any suggestions anyone may have for further projects.

So for now let's get this one finished and open the door to the next project. Next posting will follow soon. :thumbup:

Cap'n

Interesting.

I always thought that the Kubrick estate had a vice like grip on these matters and the version currently available, despite extant additional footage is considered the definitive version by Kubrick?

Marty...

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
By the power of Greyskull....

OMFG!
Right click on the pictures and click 'View Image", you will get:
http://douglastrumbull.com/sites/default/files/images/img710.1.preview.jpg
then REMOVE the word preview:
http://douglastrumbull.com/sites/default/files/images/img710.1.jpg
and you get a slightly bigger version!
Bigger IS better!
L

I feel faint....

And very pleased, all those hours of squinting at screen caps has paid off, nothing major to change on my CAD drawing and more detail to add. I do like the finger shaped surface panels that run radially on the inner sloping skin. I do have two things to amend, the width of the three circular surface panels, they are of the same width, equidistant from each other and the window size needs to be reduced a little.

Quite a remarkable find after all this time.

Cap'n

Lee S

Alphans
Have you thought about contacting Mr T? and explained what you are doing and show him what you have done. Maybe just maybe he'd give you some higher res images, and if not, you're no worst off than you are now :)

L

I feel faint....

And very pleased, all those hours of squinting at screen caps has paid off, nothing major to change on my CAD drawing and more detail to add. I do like the finger shaped surface panels that run radially on the inner sloping skin. I do have two things to amend, the width of the three circular surface panels, they are of the same width, equidistant from each other and the window size needs to be reduced a little.

Quite a remarkable find after all this time.

Cap'n

Some pretty impressive images in and amongst - I'm guessing they have held the better ones back for the documentary. perhaps there will be a shot of the moonbus interior in "white" light? Bizarrely despite the cool ones of the studio miniatures, my favourite is the one with the two stewardess posed with the astronaut in the Space Station V interior set.

The documentary looks like it could be amazing, hopefully they will get it together.

I'm less sure WB should be messing with the movie itself, if indeed they are. As much as I'm intrigued by the additional footage, given Kubrick is not here and he didn't do anything with the movie after he cut 20mins out after the preview screenings - he probably felt that's it and that how he wanted it to look. In my humble opinion any additional footage should be bonus material and not cut back into the movie.

Marty...

Last edited: