Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

2001: Space Station V Project

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Inspired....

Have you thought about contacting Mr T? and explained what you are doing and show him what you have done. Maybe just maybe he'd give you some higher res images, and if not, you're no worst off than you are now :)

L

No I hadn't but guess what i will be doing next?

Thank you Lee, sometimes obvious is not always in plain sight. ;)

Cap'n

stargazer

Alphans
I feel faint....

Cap'n

glad to help

Not with the fainting bit :lol: but with the station...

I have to say that all this was bought to my attention on a 2001 odyssey group forum that I am a member on.

I asked permission to forward the details to other forums I go on.

Do I get a price reduction? he asks hopefully :brows: :D

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Doug Trumbull speaks....

Have you thought about contacting Mr T? and explained what you are doing and show him what you have done. Maybe just maybe he'd give you some higher res images, and if not, you're no worst off than you are now :)

L

I hadn't, but I took your advice and did....

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Bernard Walsh <bernie.walsh@mac.com> wrote:

Hi Doug,

I was thrilled and delighted to see the photos you had placed on the website showing all the 2001 models. I am currently building the Space Station V model on a model making website and this reference has really added to my knowledge of this model.
I know I am cheeky to ask but what would be the chances of getting these images and any other hi-res images (if you have them) of SSV to help me to complete this model? I would be so grateful and it would elevate this from a casual build into something wonderful.

If you want to check out the build so far and see how seriously I am attempting my "holy grail" of all models, look here:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28359

I have attached a few photos from the build article I am sharing with my colleagues and friends of the work in progress so far, I hope you like it.

Dear Bernie,

Wow, you must have a nice CNC machine to make parts? It looks very promising. Unfortunately I don't have any good photos of the space station.....

Good luck with your project, and let me know when it is done.

Best regards,

Doug Trumbull

What a nice guy, I will definitely need to finish it now... (gulp) check his portfolio and you'll see why he is one of my personal heroes:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0874320/

Lee, thanks for the prompt, Doug is a very nice guy.

Cap'n

Lee S

Alphans
Yep! Always the way!
I have your kit and I think it'll only need some small teaks. I still can't tell if the nose is different, but yours 'looks Russian'

L

Well Yes...and no

My Titov was/is darn close..But typical that I waited 30 years to do it (with blueray) being the best resolution of the only known angles of it and a mere few months later this shows up...

Mike Delamar

Alphans
Im only new to the 2001 stuff, but since Ive been on this site Ive enjoyed reading up and been intreagued by how it was shot and the models etc,and the fact that not much original info was out there, these shots that have turned up are fabulous, really really nice

Mike

Whilst on the subject of SSV, I came across the below, from a link from SSM forum. But, I can't find a vendor for it - Federation sell a few of the brand, but not this one.

Just curious how it looks made up, particularly the under construction parts.

Marty...

Last edited:

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander

Hi Marty,

I am sure in 2010 that the wheel was finished. I don't own this movie so don't really have a way to check, can anyone confirm?

I think it's all there too, form and details look nice.

Cap'n

Steve Gerard

Alphans
In one 2010 scene, on a TV set in the background, there is a commercial for Pan Am Orion Shuttle flights that was basically made from 2001 footage.:think:

Hi Marty, I am sure in 2010 that the wheel was finished. I don't own this movie so don't really have a way to check, can anyone confirm?
I think it's all there too, form and details look nice. Cap'n

As mentioned, one gets a very brief glimpse of SSV via a Tv monitor in 2010, I have never taken to much notice but always assumed it was footage lifted from 2001. I have it on BD so when I get chance I will have a closer look. Anyway, I however, do "get it" now in that by 2010 SSV may have been complete.

There is no reason why this paper model should not make up into a nice replica. After all there are very few if any compound curves to make up and perhaps only the "spokes" present a challenge.

Marty...

LeonArtO3D

Alphans
Orion III 3D model project

Hi Odysseynauts,

I'm new here, recommended by stargazer I check you out. I am impressed and want a Space Station V! I work in modo, and have started a project to build all the 2001 vehicles, starting with Orion III. I have a thread in the Luxology forums/Work In Progress/Orion Space Plane. You can find it here:

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=50208&page=0

Can't hang tonight but I'll be back tomorrow.

All the best
LeonArtO3D

Tim Smith

Alphans
Now I fully understand that term 'gob smacked'! And we even get our first really close up of Clavius, and Bob McCall's rendering for the Orion 3 first stage. So much stuff. What is today Christmas??

LeonArtO3D

Alphans
Now I fully understand that term 'gob smacked'! And we even get our first really close up of Clavius, and Bob McCall's rendering for the Orion 3 first stage. So much stuff. What is today Christmas??

Ho, Ho, Ho, boys and girls. Merry Halloween! I just got to see http://www.scifiairshow.com/ships-orion.html for the first time, so I'm getting mine too. Plus, I just got an email from an anonymous donor, that they have the blueprints and more, that I am seeking. Unfortunately, for the time being, they are confidential, that is till I draw up my own set. LOL.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Draw faster....

I am on holiday for two days and expect you to be done by the time I get back!!!

Just like you I have been waiting for the longest time to build my model (physical for me) and been starved of good reference. I can't wait to see what you do.

Best for now.

Cap'n

LeonArtO3D

Alphans
What is the source of Orions supposed actual size?

I have not yet had the time to read every word in this thread, so forgive me if I'm asking something already covered in great detail. I'll get around to it all as time allows.

According to the latest information I've been able to gather, Orion III, if she actually existed, would measure 175 ft in length and 85 ft wingtip to wingtip.
I've elaborated on these figures in my thread at Luxology, but what I want to know is, where do the size figures come from used to calculate the scale of all these kits and individual models? Early on, I read in one of the first sources, that Orion was 65 meters long, which works out to 213 ft, which jives with what Ian calculated for his model. But where did that 65meters come from? And what of these other kits that are different sizes?

Not that I'm going to use a model of a model to calculate the size of my model, I'm using the original blueprints, where I have found them.

Tim Smith

Alphans
I've always considered 'Mr. T' the best of the best, so I took a moment to ask him a question late last night. The answer was already waiting for me this morning! What a guy!