Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

24" Sky 1

badsimmonds

Alphans
As usual I forgot about something and in this case it was the four 'guns' at the front. I worked on them before I did the final spray on the model so I better include them.
I found there was a small gap between the guns and the body so instead of sanding them down I added a little bit using the filler & parcel tape method.
Once I was happy they fitted they were primed and then final painted. I masked of an area on each of them and sprayed a different colour to get a 'panel'
The nozzles just needed sanding then stuck on, once set I masked them off again and sprayed the silver sections using Plastikote Silver 109s, I like this paint as it dries to a nice finish.
Where the guns are placed the area is also silver so more masking this time I had to make sure the silver did not go into any of the flutes so I rolled up some conventional low-tack tape and placed it in the flutes.
The nose of Sky 1 was sprayed with Vauxhall Smoke Grey paint as I had it lying around and seemed the right colour.
As ever its still continuous masking and spraying or rubbing powder paint into body for panelling.
I thought it was also time to spray the rear of the body and the wing edges silver, I try and leave this colour to a late a stage as possible as it can get damaged. All the colour lines on the model are coloured vinyl tape which I use most of the time as I don't really like masking off thin lines etc as its asking for trouble.
I've had a lot of spare time lately which means I've been able to really get on with this project.

Attachments

• DSCF3263.JPG
    DSCF3263.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF3305.JPG
    DSCF3305.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF3322.JPG
    DSCF3322.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF3314.JPG
    DSCF3314.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF3307.JPG
    DSCF3307.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF3273.JPG
    DSCF3273.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
Its time to go back and do some work on the engine pods.
I was originally going to glue the rear nozzles in place but as I might replace my resin ones with aluminium ones at sometime I decided I had to screw them in so they could be removed easily.
As the engines are hollow I filled them with balsa wood up to about an inch from the end then poured fibreglass resin in up to 10mm from the top making sure they were perfectly level, once dried I had a firm base to screw into.
After sanding and cleaning I sprayed the engines the usual oyster gold, once that was dry I painted matt black into the holes at the front missile bit. Some people would paint these after the final coat but you need a steady hand which I don't. The front was then sprayed ford diamond white keeping the spray behind the holes to prevent too much paint going in. I also sprayed the rear of the tube Vauxhall smoke grey and then some silver panels.
I also added some further panels using black powder paint and then fitted the red & white tape where needed. I also painted the two bits that join the wings to the engines oyster gold and added a white section at the front to match up with the white missile cone if that makes sense. They are now ready for fitting.
In between all this I'm still working on the main body panelling etc.

Attachments

• DSCF3354.JPG
    DSCF3354.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF3350.JPG
    DSCF3350.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF3348.JPG
    DSCF3348.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF3343.JPG
    DSCF3343.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF3342.JPG
    DSCF3342.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF3339.JPG
    DSCF3339.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF3337.JPG
    DSCF3337.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF3336.JPG
    DSCF3336.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

badsimmonds

Alphans
With the engine pods complete the model is just about there, I added the decals. I don't have a complete set of decals for this model so I made up the little red triangle on either side of the cock pit from red vinyl tape and the rescue signs on each side by just printing something on the computer and printing on paper and sticking on using a spray adhesive. If in the future I can get a full set I'll replace them.
The engines are screwed on, I didn't use glue in case I wish to work on them sometime. The cockpit has changed over the build for various reasons and bits from various kits were used to enhance it sort of. The original canopy is screwed in place but I decided not to go down this path and instead had it fit into holes to keep it in place.
I haven't mentioned the rear docking panel or taken photos of it but I modified the detail on it slightly and sprayed it silver, its held in place with sticky tape in case I need to remove it.
The model still needs to be dirtied but I'm not in a rush to do this yet.
I've probably forgotten to say loads of things but I hope this build made sense.
I have a couple of projects lined up next which are the Explosive's Truck and the Spectrum Helicopter, I don't know which one will be first.
I've included a photo of my three UFO projects together, I'm going to need a bigger house if this keeps on.
Thanks everyone for looking.
BS.

Attachments

• DSCN4653.JPG
    DSCN4653.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF3375.JPG
    DSCF3375.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF3371.JPG
    DSCF3371.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 31

badsimmonds

Alphans
I forgot to resize my photos so here are some more.

Attachments

• DSCN4660.JPG
    DSCN4660.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN4661.JPG
    DSCN4661.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN4662.JPG
    DSCN4662.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN4665.JPG
    DSCN4665.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF3365.JPG
    DSCF3365.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 97

Sea Devil

Alphans
Hi badsimmonds, you have made short work of doing this kit. Are you intending to do a pilot to finish off? I have noticed on your earlier projects that they are missing. you now have a nice set of studio scale models that any one would be happy to own. I look forward to seeing the next one.

Really, really first class work.....

You have a beautiful model there, Badsimmonds, and it's been great following you along the various stages. The photo of the Mobile, the Interceptor and Sky 1 is one to savour - three real hero vehicles, expertly built and painted.

Sit back, put your feet up and think "I did all that!"

Kindest regards

Patrick

badsimmonds

Alphans
Hi Sea Devil and Patrick
I must thank you for your kind comments. The only people who ever see any of my models are all you guys on this site so its nice to hear that somebody likes what I've built.
I have a lot of spare time on my hands at the moment which is why this project was completed in a relatively short time.
Pilots, now there's a question, I do have a pilot for Sky 1 but it didn't turn out right.
However pilots/drivers for my vehicles depends on finding suitable figures, if anyone has suggestions on available figures then if you can point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful.
Since I've built three UFO and three Thunderbird models I've decided my next project will be the Spectrum Helicopter A42.
Thanks again.
BS

Sea Devil

Alphans
When I built my Shado mobile I used a couple of Star Trek the next Generation plastic figures, on my Sky 1, I used a Dr who Captain Jack figure, Mamas used a Thor figure for his Sky 1. All need converting to some degree, but well worth the effort. You will need to visit a toy shop, or vintage toy seller to get these, you might also try ebay.
Kind regards, Julian.