Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

44" cost?

Does anyone have an approximate cost for a 44" build? Give or take.

Yes, check the link above, especially thread 83 http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153601&postcount=83

Kit: £1,265 including aluminium bells, thrusters, sensors
Landing Gear Brass Legs: £500
Landing Gear Aluminium Feet: £210
EMA Domes etc: £60
Perspex: £10
Decals: £25
Paint: £100 (estimated)
Glues: £20
Sundries: £10
Total: £2,200

Cost can vary considerably, depends on such factors as:
- resin or alum bells,
- brass cages, spine, landing gear
- EMA add-on for walkways and shelves
- model purchases (tanks, apollo etc) for walkways, shelves

There`s a good number of ppl here with parts, decals, blueprints. Parts can be bought from all over; USA, UK, France....and I think still from S.A.W in Nova Scotia Canada. http://www.smallartworks.ca/
Some àlso offer to build parts such the spine, cages or even build a complete 44

I would begin with an accurate set of blueprints from Chris Trice and Daniel Prud`homme at: http://pages.infinit.net/danielgp/home.html

Decals can be bought forum member DX-SFX.

Good luck.

eagle2010

Alphans
Thanks Bernie and Richardlamer for all the info....I'm new to using forums.....hope not to be to drive anyone crazy with my questions.....;) You all seem so eager to help and thanks for the emails....what a bunch a nice people here!!!! Thanks Hunch for you help as well and JD.

w8cmp

Alphans
As stated above, the costs can vary considerably depending on the parts decided upon, and the construction methods used.

Brass frameworks will generally cost more than resin / carbon fibre, but will be that bit stronger. The build will take longer though as there's a lot of cutting and soldering to do.

The landing gear can be built from less sturdy materials, and resin rather than aluminium footpads used. I decided to go strong with the best and most accurate landing gear available from Chris Trice - but there are cheaper options.

One thing you really can't compromise on with a build in this scale is aluminium engine bells, and there are two people in this business that I am aware of - Mike Reader and Paul Gray.

Be aware that the build will need to be very sturdy as there is a lot of weight cantilevered off the front & back ends which will tend to pull them downwards over time. This is not just another model kit and there are a lot of forces at work in the finished model which will need catering for with structural strength. The prongs from the landing gear pods in to the corridors also take a lot of stress so need to be as strong as you can make them.

Good luck with your build ! :yes:

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
That question could be compared to 'how longs a piece of string' lol
The answer depends on far too many variables, including local cost and availability of materials, your own skill levels, do you want to buy ready made parts or do it all yourself and what quality you want the finished item to be.

Generally speaking if you are building from scratch then you will need to buy -
The excellent blueprint mentioned above
A good nosecone casting
A set of aluminium engine bells
decals
All the rest can be made by yourself using whichever materials you decide on. It's quite possible to make a top quality example for £1000 - but that does involve rather alot of work.

eagle2010

Alphans
Thanks w8cmp and mark, the info just keeps building. Appreciate the feedback I checked on the blueprints but all I found were the 22" plans.

Big Rab

Forum Supporter
Does anyone have an approximate cost for a 44" build? Give or take.

I am not sure, but i think mine took around £1,200 to build including paint, sandpaper and so on . . . . and i still have yet to panel line, weather and apply the decals I have :roll:

eagle2010

Alphans
I am wanting to start my 44" build with the CM first. Who makes a good piece. i saw one on here and it appeared that it had a gap once the sensors were installed. i just glanced at it im not sure if that was the problem or not. i saw one for $130.00. is this right or are there any less expensive and would i be sacrificing quality?

There are a good number of members who can provide you a CM:
1. DX-SFX (CM, Landing Gear, accurate decals and blueprints)
2. D.I.T.S - Dakota_in_the_sky // robertburns
3. Jose in France, see http://lurdes14.free.fr/sftv02.htm

Not sure if they provide a CM but have a good number of other parts:
1. Paul Gray
2. Unclebill
3. stingray48442
4. Captain Sci-Fi

I am only naming a few I know and in no particular order and I apologize if I missed anyone but please feel free......
Better yet, why not have a STICKY thread on current part providers and what parts they provide..........
cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

eagle2010

Alphans
ya...that would be a good idea if someone knows all the part providers, that would make the hunt a lil easier. I know i cant make everything. So im gonna need someone to give my money to in exchange, lol.

eagle2010

Alphans
Just got my CM from Robert! Nice piece, some cleanup, but thats expected. Thanks Robert! what options are out there for beak clamps other than brass? are they made of resin or other metal? since I am building on an extreme budget...this could help. also, the same for the CM sensors.

Just got my CM from Robert! Nice piece, some cleanup, but thats expected. Thanks Robert! what options are out there for beak clamps other than brass? are they made of resin or other metal? since I am building on an extreme budget...this could help. also, the same for the CM sensors.

The CM is 'relatively' light in weight and if you don't frequently remove the CM from the frame, the beak clamps could be made of many different materials, plastic, resin, wood or metal.

The brass beak clamps seem more appropriate as many spines/cages are also made of brass and this would be more robust and made for more man handling.

w8cmp

Alphans
Oh yes...a long process which I am going through myself right now...

I think the building will be fairly quick compared to the preparation of the brass pieces.

rockwellcm

Alphans
What kind of paint is used on the CM? Also I'm wanting to start airbrushing, what paint type to use as well?

Its `Ford Diamond White` on most of the Eagle,which has to be matt coated

i have found White Prime first,FDW,then a matt coat, works well

Last edited:

NeoGoglu

Alphans
Can't remember where on the forum it was posted before,
but i think someone posted the 'color code' or recipe
to create a white paint that could match the FDW one.

If someone has it, please feel free to share it here :yes:

eagle2010

Alphans
thanks ALL for the info...i assume all paint work including primers are automotive based then. Im practicing in acrylics at the moment. Now, if I could just find a way to keep the moisture in the air out...I have a water trap, but still gets through.