Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

44" Eagle build...yeah another one of 'em.

Raytheon

Alphans
The passenger pod is just fantastic, luv the detail!
Thanks, upping the detail has been asked for and who am I to argue :D

There sure is a whole lot of talent on this board. This build is amazing. And beautiful!

You will get no argument from me and I thank ya!

Yeah! Your back, I missed you! Sorry, need to compose myself, this will get me motivated to finish mine. You just made my day! Fantastic work, but now I want to do the rescue pod. ;0)
And i'm back again like it or not :lol:
I have to say that i like the rescue pod colours, just adds a certain something to an Eagle ;)

Well back on this monster...
New update page on the site:

http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/wip44eagle13.html

A few pics from said page...

So first, the side pods. I made to old two part mesh in to a single item, beefed up some of the internal structure and got to it with some tough resin in the printer.
When properly cured, this gear is stronger than ABS which will do nicely.

Next on the hit list is the fuel tank like things for the main engines.
The polygon punching program and me had a chat and this is what came out.

Snug fit, just the way one likes it.

As a bit of a time saver, I found a pretty decent mesh on CGTrader for an Eagle.
Took the beak, made some modifications to the mesh by giving it an internal skin,
Putting long tabs in one side and grooves in the other for assembly,
breaking it down in to three parts and building a cockpit as far as is possible.

And the printing did happen!

Just removed all the support material, yet to clean up proper.
One of the grilles for the cockpit back wall didn't print right,
I made the walls far too thin, been redone and i'll sort it.

The greeblies for the outside of the beak aren't studio accurate but there's a lot on this that isn't so onward!

And of course, the sticky tape assited dry fit look see.

And that's the story so far!
More later people :D

Raytheon

Alphans
Okedoke then, back to the ocasionally scheduled program!

Page 14 of the WIP log up and done:
http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/wip44eagle14.html

Selected pics and waffle right here...
Junked the plastic pod bottom frame work in favour of a 3D printed one. Done in two halves so it would fit on the build plate.

Printed, cleaned up, fixed to the 2mm thick acrylic sheet, greeblies added, battery box for the door lights fitted, holes for ther feet, securing screws and engine bells drilled out.

Grey primer, white primer and graphite powder got used with relatively wild abandon.

Reworked the pod feet slightly, printed and painted up. Also did some ignition plates for the engine bells, granted they will not normally be seen but it beats bare bolt heads. Gave the turned bells a little bit of polish and some dirt to the inside.

And in place.

Push switch installed, all wired up and plate fitted.

Lighting check.

Also started on the pasenger pod. This was one of the pile of less than stellar parts give to me at the start of this debarcle and while ok at a distance, needs a bit of work. Some cracking in need of repair and certainly need a new underside. Havent got any more metal engine bells so 3D printed ones will have to suffice.

Alclad got a decent look in.

So pile of bits and left overs from the rescue pod got pulled out of hiding. Sadly ther inset detail bits from the rescue pod were not going to fit the end insets so new stuff!

A bit of printing along with a fair dose of hacking and grinding about happened.

Dry test fit and there's something to work with here.

There be some putty and sanding work to get sorted but it'll look pretty once i'm done...at least I hope it will.
More to come gang!
:D
:thumbup:

Last edited:

Raytheon

Alphans
Well a few bits more sorted!
Passenger pod ends all cleaned up and looking none too shabby methinks.

The inevitable and muchly required primer coat.

Main paint pretty much the same paneling deal as the rescure pod. Decals, weathering, pencil lining and the well used pod look done.

Door lighting look see.

Command module interior sorted out and lighting fitted.

Shapeways pilots with my own clear tinted visors and DIY decals. The suits appear very red in the pics, that's just my camera that doesn't like red colours or lights.

3D printed seats done and all in place.

All buttoned up, painted, decaled, weathered and rear frame attached. Calling this bit done.

Lighting check of course.

The always popular head on shot.

Cruciform frame painted, weathered, decaled. Small tanks likewise then fitted and piping installed.

Large tanks dealt with and engine bells fitted.

The engine bells got a little bit of a polish up and a light airbrush of Alclad pale burned metal on the bottom edge.

Insides had the baffle thingies fitted and the lot dirtied up.

Lighting check.

Just the side pods to sort and then bring all the bits together.
More later!

StandBy

Alphans
Beautiful work, Raytheon! Truly masterful. I’m working on the 22” Eagle Freighter so any and all good reference photos and how-to’s regarding an Eagle is appreciated. But man, your work is amazing! Very well done indeed! Thank you for posting and I look forward to the next instalment!! Cheers.

Raytheon

Alphans
I thank you most kindly, it is very much appreciated!
And in honour of this, the final update posts as she be a done thing.

In short order then...

Side pods all sanded, plating and details both studio accurate and not slapped on, then primer time!

Multi panel grey and white paint done, loads of DIY waterslide decals placed.
Pencil panel lining a bit of black paint and weathering done.

Laminated carbon fiber crossbeam with some epoxy glue got hammered in to one of the side pods.

Cage frame detail parts got brought out of hiding, fited then the pod and beam shoved through and the opposite side pod in place.

Back end treated likewise.

Engine section wired up and fitted in place.

Wiring fed through the tubes along the spine to the front end.

Underside VTOL engine bells sorted out.

So ends part 1, next post for the rest of it.

Raytheon

Alphans
Door facia fitted on the rear.

Command module wired up and fitted.

Push switch installed in the top greeblie infested area, battery holder also sorted.

Had top do a bit of rework on the supplied landing gear as it just went all the way to the bottom stops. The springs were just not strong enough to hold it up.

Drilled and tapped a hole, ran in a 30mm long bolt with some epoxy and that was the bottom stop set up as required.

Gear legs all painted and weatherd where required and done.

Now standing on her own four legs.

RCS thruster quads assembled and in place, battery cover likewise.

For the main event, that's pretty much that!

Had to have an all pods photo call as one does.
Passenger pod

Rescue pod

Nuclear waste pod

Well it's been a long and trying build at times but the finished article is worth it, that's the lot untill I can get a gallery shoot done proper...or as proper as I can do.
All the best folks and folkettes!

StandBy

Alphans
Stunning!! It’s a sublime result after a mountain of effort! I’ve never seen anything quite like it, me! I mean, in some shots, the scale is lost and it looks real! I take my hat off to you, Sir!! Well done indeed!
Thank you for posting. Lordy. What can one say? But Wow!!!

Raytheon

Alphans
I thank you most kindly. She was a bit of a grind but worth it for the finished article methinks.
Cheers muchl;y and all the best!