Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

44" Eagle - the journey begins at last - NEARLY COMPLETE NEW PICS

w8cmp

Alphans
Well thanks to pjskeldon, I am now the proud owner of the constituent parts to make my first 44" Eagle :yes:

I have unpacked it all and have the main parts as follows:

CM - SAW resin cast of DX's fibreglass nosecone. Comes assembled as one unit, so needs the rear cut off the CM and some reinforcement inside in some areas to ensure it's completely stable (especially around the angles where the window cutout panels join). Aluminium sensor dishes also supplied to fit. I have Gemini astronauts to put inside & a small keyring light to illuminate the inside if I wish.

Corridors - SAW resin parts which are straighforward boxes to assemble. Will require a wood core for strength & metal angles / support rods installed to take the landing gear pods etc. Well detailed on the outside if not completely studio accurate. Come with well detailed 'shelves' either side to which I may add the distinctive B-29 engine cowlings on the undersides.

Transporter Pod - SAW resin parts which go together well. These are now assembled and have some wooden strengthening inside to allow screwing the baseplate in position. Will require wood across the top to mount the attachment nuts / bolts through the roof and provide strength generally. Comes with aluminium VTOL bells & resin landing gear etc.

Landing Gear Pods - SAW resin parts. Two part top and bottom which will require hardwood inserts to slide in to the corridor mounts.

Sprung Landing Gear - 4 built units in brass on order from DX - ready to mount.

Landing Gear Pads - Aluminium parts on order from Paul Gray - to mount to landing gear above.

Cage Framework - SAW resin parts. We shall see how this goes in resin. Parts look crisp and clean and will look the part.

Spine Framework - Uncle Bill Carbon Fibre / resin parts. Look excellent - I reckon once cleaned up of their pour tabs (1 evening) I should be able to assemble the spine in 1 or 2 evenings :thumbup:. Hopefully will provide the strength needed...

Engines / Tanks / Plumbing - SAW resin main bottles with EMA end caps. EMA spherical tanks & plumbing. Framework in resin & brass.

Just placed an order with EMA for the hemispheres & plumbing needed to complete this section.

That's about it I think. Transporter pod is almost built structurally and will be the first bit ready I think. Will start on the frame next and then the corridors etc.

I'll take photos as I go and update the forum almost daily as the model progresses. I've already been out and bought loads of primer and about 6 cans of Ford Diamond White for the paint job.

This is gonna be fun ! :thumbup: :yes:

Chris

PS I also have a complete set of brass, as well as Paul Gray's parts on order - so a second Eagle won't be far behind when this one's complete.

Last edited:

w8cmp

Alphans
I've been very busy with the model over the last week / weekend and have done the following:

Sorted all parts in to organiser boxes to aid identification / assembly.
Cleaned up most parts of flash where evident.
Obtained 5 spray cans of Ford Diamond White & several cans of primer.
Obtained various drills (for things like sensor dishes etc) and items of brass & wood stock to aid in assembly.
Obtained fibreglass kit to reinforce interior of resin CM moulding.

Transporter Pod:
Assembled resin sides, ends & perspex roof.
Strengthened internals with softwood stock to prevent flex.
Obtained screws to mount floor, drilled, countersunk & screwed in place.
Cleaned up and made pod landing gear feet ready to attach.
Obtained nuts and bolts to attach pod to framework & drilled / reinforced to take bolts inside the pod.

Rear Engine Section:
Obtained all required EMA hemispheres & 'plumbing' piping.
Cleaned up 4 'bottle' centre sections & joined front hemispheres.
Drilled to accept washer, nut and bolt to attach engine bells.
Secured nuts / washers inside rear hemispheres.
Test assembled rear section ready to make framework from a combination of resin parts & brass stock (we shall see if this is strong enough !).
Made up circular shim pieces for middle of 4 spheres.
Note: The resin rear frame that joins the bells to the bottles is a little warped, so will need some 'treatment' to persuade it back in to shape. I'm hoping some hot water etc will suffice otherwise I'm a bit stuck.

That's it so far - doesn't sound like a lot I know, but things take time when you want them done right. The last thing I want to do is make a mistake due to rushing it.

I'll try to get some pics later and post them here...

Chris

w8cmp

Alphans
Right - here we go then. Some quick pics of my new baby on the lounge floor:

Obviously a fair amount still to do in terms of touching up, detailing, panelling, decals and weathering - but that's the bit I really enjoy.

Pod is still in primer and will be the next area I concentrate on so I can mount it soon. All major building is now done, and problems solved in terms of how I would achieve certain things with the non-brass parts.

Main elements of the model are resin (SAW parts), with acrylic landing gear pod prongs & aluminium foot pads (thanks to Paul Gray), Uncle Bill's resin & carbon fibre spine (which is surprisingly strong), and additional parts from Chris Trice (landing gear and various detail pieces - and lots of advice - thanks Chris !).

Other elements are scratchbuilt by myself like the spine clamps - made from K&S brass strip & 6BA cheesehead nuts and bolts, and the CM clamps whittled from some brass channel kindly supplied by Jim Murphy.

This really has been a voyage of discovery - having modified several 23" models, I believe you really don't know the Eagle until you've built a 44" in the flesh.

I'm now about to have my dinner, but shall be preparing the pod for paint this evening, and should have it painted in FDW and test mounted by the end of the week I hope.

Looking forward to the next phase of work on the beast & completion hopefully by the end of May.

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:

Alphans
Hey, that looks all white!

That looks very good. You must have been very busy putting that lot together and I bet it's pretty light as well. I do like the recessed doors on Jim's walkways, I think they look great. It's a shame they never put them on the originals. Thanks for posting the pictures, have fun with the detailing! :thumbup:

w8cmp

Alphans
Thanks for the comments. You'd be surprised how heavy it actually is as the resin parts are reinforced with wood inside the corridors and leg pods, with brass supports for the leg pod prongs to slide in to, plus the aluminium bells & brass landing gear also add weight.

It's defintely a two arm job to lift it - though not as heavy as an AB kit.

tobor

Alphans
Hi Chris,
Its looking really good.:thumbup:
Did you have any trouble drilling the carbon fibre to connect the spine (splitting etc). That’s the next job on my resin eagle.

w8cmp

Alphans
Hi Chris,
Its looking really good.:thumbup:
Did you have any trouble drilling the carbon fibre to connect the spine (splitting etc). That’s the next job on my resin eagle.

Thanks Jim - the carbon fibre was no trouble at all. I bought myself a couple of new high quality drills and carefully drilled pilot holes first, and then opened them out to the required diameter. No splitting, just a little minor clean up and a touch up with paint here and there.

Once those U shaped clamps are bolted on, the joint is very strong. Didn't even need any glue. But I wouldn't recommend taking it apart too often as it's a real bitch to get all those clamps in position and bolted up tight.

What was that about a carbon fiber spine?

Looks awesome.

The spine is made from resin cross members and diagonals and carbon fibre longditudinal rods (as used in kites).

Uncle Bill sells them as part of his Eagle kit of parts. (UNCLEBILLORAM@aol.com)

Got a big 3-day weekend ahead which will be exclusively modelling on my 44" Eagle (apart from washing the car & sending a couple of things out in the post which need to go). Wife is off playing golf and involved in other things so I won't be interrrupted !

Having now marked all the panel lines with pencil on the leg pods and CM, I'm now masking up to paint the subtle light grey panelling in various shades. Masking takes forever but is assisted with having those lines all marked (all done with careful reference to the hundreds of photos I have of the original Eagle 1).

Jobs for the weekend are as follows:

Complete masking & lightly airbrush panel work on leg pods, CM and rear engine tanks.
Weather generally to highlight panel work and general dirtying down - especially in corridor areas. Paint any small details required.
Add technical decals from Chris Trice's decal sheet
Microscale Matt coat to seal
Mark out and paint markings on spine and corridor frameworks, weather & matt coat.
Any other weathering & decals as required.
Preparation of passenger pod - window areas, frames etc
Paint pod in FDW
Mark panelling and airbrush, weather, decal & matt coat.
Bring all together as complete craft & check for any imperfections.

I then have to paint up a hardboard sheet I have for a 'Launch Pad' base - just need some rain free days to prime and paint it before airbrush panelling etc.

I shall hopefully post some pics of progress towards the end of the bank holiday weekend...I'm looking forward to three days of blissful modelling !

Chris

w8cmp

Alphans
Very well thanks Mike...as usual though only got abut half done compared to what I wanted to do. I'm in the middle of another weekend at it right now - frantically painting panels etc. I'm hoping to have her substantially complete by tommorrow evening so will post photos then.

w8cmp

Alphans
Well I've come down with a throat infection / cough so have not made quite as much progress as intended, but here are the latest pics of the work in progress:

As you can see the pod is 90% complete with window frames to finish. I have replaced the resin 'windows' of the pod with transparent perspex, painted black from the rear, hence the masking protecting the surface until completion. I need to complete the decal markings on the pod and matt coat to seal.

The frames need stripes etc applying, and corridors will be subtly washed with oils to bring out detail. The CM is in the process of panel work being applied - just need to finish the underside and then apply markings, window frames and matt coat.

The rear engine bottles need panel work and decals before being finished, however the leg pods are complete and awaiting sliding in to place.

A few more days work should see the model assembled and looking like an Eagle at last.

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks Chris, she's a work of art, seriously. A year or two ago I would never have had any idea that these Eagle builds were so intensive, but it hasn't scared me off yet. As long as I can get resin spine/cage parts, I'll be OK. I'm soaking up these build pics like a sponge!:D

I hope you are feeling better- there's nothing like a sore throat to make you feel like hell. Hopefully it's keeping you away from work and at the bench?

Mike

w8cmp

Alphans
Thanks for the comments so far guys.

Reached a milestone today and achieved substantial completion with only a few cosmetic bits and pieces to do. I need to paint the brass pins holding the CM to the framework, and add a little weathering to the corridors, plus a little touch up here and there, but other than than my Eagle now lives ! Thought I'd take advantage of the glorious evening to take some photos of my new baby outside...

The base is a work in progress - that's next weekend's project to finish !

Enjoy !

Sorry to those of you on dial up !

Chris

w8cmp

Alphans
Kit: £1,265 including aluminium bells
Landing Gear Brass Legs: £500
Landing Gear Aluminium Feet: £210
EMA Domes etc: £60
Perspex: £10
Decals: £25
Paint: £100 (estimated)
Glues: £20
Sundries: £10
Total: £2,200

Plus one year of my life....£ Priceless !

Last edited:

w8cmp

Alphans
I'd go with 'after' weathering (i.e. airbrushed panelling / weathering work). They will then need a matt coat to bring them together with the rest of the finished surface. Having said that, I did overcoat some of the black technical markings with a very light spray overcoat of white after they were applied, just to tone them down a little. The Alpha crests are definitely applied after weathering.

Other than very specific panels, the Eagle weathering is very subtle, and it's very easy to overdo it if you're not careful. Very light greys are the order of the day, so they're just a few shades off the original white.

Last edited:

Mikey29211

Alphans
Kit: £1,265 including aluminium bells
Landing Gear Brass Legs: £500
Landing Gear Aluminium Feet: £210
EMA Domes etc: £60
Perspex: £10
Decals: £25
Paint: £100 (estimated)
Glues: £20
Sundries: £10
Total: £2,200

Plus one year of my life....£ Priceless !

That is about $3,400.00 USD, that is much better than the $11,000.00 quote i got a few years ago.

If i start saving now, maybe in two or three years, i will have enough:think: Living on social security disability doesn't leave much at the end of the month.:cry:

w8cmp

Alphans
The pilots are the 1:24 scale crew from the Revell Gemini model kit - exactly as used in the original studio model.

Thanks for the comments !