Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

44" Eagle -The Time Has Come To Join The Big Boys

paul gray

Forum Supporter
Time to bite the bullet and start to put together all those parts i have been squirrelling away over the last year or so.
i had been unable to make my mind up to go with brass framework or resin . my engineer will be doing brasswork eventually but i was getting itchy fingers and wanted to get started. also i had heard great things about uncle Bill's resin work and his kit could be ready very soon. so the route could be very similar to Chris's , a resin eagle to start with and then progress to brass.
uncle Bill's kit arrived and it's a real wow moment when you open the box, lots of beatifully cast pieces that you wonder "how the hell did he make them?" i wont bore you with too many pictures as this has already been covered elsewhere. i have tidied up the front cagework and hope to make quick progress puting it together. the only parts i am in need of are a beak and passenger pod, the later hopefully arriving later this month and DX's beak whenever it's ready. that's enough chat, i'm off to go stick some bits together
cheers Paul

Alpha149

Forum Supporter
Nice!! Post lots of pics! Can you tell me how much Uncle Bill is selling this kit for? Is it available still?

Thanks,

Bishop

Alphans
Man this is great news Paul. You use the carbon fibre rods for this style of spine don't you?

paul gray

Forum Supporter
i will be using carbon fibre rods for the spine, nice and strong but light. i will ask uncle Bill to post on this thread the details of his resin parts
cheers Paul

TonyB

Forum Supporter
Will be following your progress with much interest Paul, best of luck with the build.

paul gray

Forum Supporter
just finished the front cage . just a few pics to show the build up and how the front frame is attached to the rest of the cage. the structure is surprisingly strong for something so light. hope to do some of the rear frame over the weekend
cheers Paul

Stormy320

Alphans
Paul - I'm surprised you would settle for resin.

What are the positives and negatives to resin?

I wouldn't think it would be nearly as strong?

Bishop

Alphans
With the carbon fibre rods it does very well actually. The brass spine is very good for doing stuns as many times as Alan crashed, but this does well enough for static display.

TonyB

Forum Supporter
This option also has the added benefit of being an achievable build for people that do not have the skill or even want to undertake building in brass.

Coming along nicely Paul.

Puffy_Shirt

Alphans
That is cool! Seeing this thread I have actually considered that a 44 inch build might be achievable with resin! Please keep us up to date.

Fozzy

Alphans
Also curious about the cost of the kit. Someone had mentioned it earlier, but I havn't seen anything posted about it.

Repeating everyone else, LOTS of pictures. Bore me to tears with pics. :O

paul gray

Forum Supporter
i have now done the rear cage work and most of the engine assembly frame work. the rest of the week has been taken up by making the engine tanks and filling the joins and smoothing things down. the 4 ball things ( a technical term for those who don't understand the terminology) have been made and pipework attached. the carbon fibre rods also arrived this week( thanks Bill) and i have been busy preparing the main resin parts for the spine and hope to make some progress with this over the weekend. if time allows also hope to finish all the rear cage work. i will need to set 4 nuts into the rear assembly to hold the rear bells in place. will take photos of this process to explain myself better and photos of all the sub assemblies before i attach them.
cheers Paul

w8cmp

Alphans
Paul,
Just a recommendation...if you're using aluminium bells you will need to add some metal components in to that rear end otherwise the frame will sag under gravity over time. I don't remember the thread but one of our members inserted a brass tube in the centre of the assembly, embedded in the rear corridor and through to the rear cross frame. I did this in aluminium on mine.

Last edited: