Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

76-inch Orion III spaceplane

Living in the real world......

Fascinated as I am by this entire project (I built the Airfix shuttle decades ago but lost it some time after), every photograph just leaves me wanting to see more. On the subject of accuracy - and I'm no expert, believe me - if you looked at every Boeing 747 ever built over its elongated production run, would you not see a multitude of variations, upgrades and alterations? Who's to say you're not building an earlier version of the shuttle, prior to the one which we see in the film?

Build this for yourself first and everybody else second - I've marvelled at the high quality of your modelmaking before and this project is no different, and part of that is definitely down to the paintwork. It looks absolutely perfect, it really does. You know the old saying: "you can make a poor model look great with the right paint job, but you can ruin a great model with a poor one". Let's see more pictures please, B.P.

Kindest regards

Patrick

You got to be kidding me,you got the dimensions and details on her spot
on smoothe,only a true artiste can get the detail on a model like this so
perfect.

Went late into Friday evening masking and painting all of the black areas except the ellipses on the leading edges of the wings, which I'll take care of another day. Very tedious stuff and glad I'm nearly done with it. Next week should also see graphics applied, including the round Pan Am logo. As best I can tell from my references, the blue color is pretty close to Pantone 2935...
BP

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 70
Absolutely beautiful.....

.....that's all I can say. All that perseverance and painstaking work has really paid off - thanks for letting us see her.

Kindest regards

Patrick

Worked late last night masking and airbrushing the ellipses on the leading edges of the wings. Needless to say, it was very tedious work and I'm glad it's done. Except for a couple of touch-ups, the painting is finished, and I can now move on to the graphics. Hopefully I'll have the Orion clear coated with a matte finish this weekend...
BP

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 43
I made my graphic sheets and spent some time over the weekend applying them. The Pan Am roundels were made from .015 styrene and painted blue (specifically Pantone 2935). Once the graphic was applied, I very carefully stuck these onto the model with a very thin high-bond tape. Last night, after adjusting my matte lacquer to the desired sheen, I sprayed the entire upper surface in multiple thin coats. I also used MIG powders on the upper vent-like detail (not sure what to call it) to reflect what I see in my reference images and sealed these on as well. Tonight I will flip her over and take care of her bottom. Don't you love double entendres?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 52
Just a note to anyone attending Wonderfest at the end of the month--the Orion III will be on exhibit in the contest area all weekend. I will also be giving a presentation on how she was created. At the end of the show, the model will be carefully crated and driven to DC where she'll be stored until the exhibit at Reagan National Airport, which will run from July until November.
BP

Thanks Ian. It's 76 inches because the museum wanted it big. They suggested a six-footer which we believe makes it about 1/30th scale, though we used 1/32nd scale figures for the passengers and crew. The door on the side is quite out of scale and would (I think) be around 7-1/2 feet tall on the real vehicle. Here's a shot of the underside.
An area about 4-1/2 inches square is devoid of detail and is where the stand bolts on.

BP

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 51

stargazer

Alphans
I was curious because DX-SFX says on this thread http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6915&page=3

“I've printed up the drawings to 63 3/4" and all the kit parts fit perfectly. 62" looks a tad too small IMPO. It also makes sense the model being 63 3/4" long since that is exactly half as big again as depicted on the art department drawings."

and without inc. the tail ariels, yours is near this size.

Ian

Ps did you make an interior for your figures to sit in?

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, I did include a passenger cabin and figures. The figures were simply 1/32nd scale seated figures bought off eBay. One of my co-workers, a guy named Karl Libecap, modified the poses on many of them, then painted them with acrylics. He also had a bit of fun creating a few surprises amongst the passengers, such as these two fellows occupying the front seats--Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke. There are also a number of others including Mr. Spock, Frankenstein, the Metaluna Mutant from This Island Earth, and Jason from Friday the 13th. We had more ideas for 'celebrity' passengers, but ran out of time. Because of the way the model was constructed, I had to split the passenger cabin in two and used a mirror to give the illusion of four rows of seating.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 56