Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

AB 22" Eagle Build with scratch built spine.

CF104

Alphans
I'm starting work on the AB 22" Eagle I recently acquired from Jon Wilson. This kit is going to be a bit of a bugger to build and am hoping I can do it justice.

First off I was going to clean up the kit spine but I decided to scratch build a replacement out of brass tube as it will take less time and look better. The tricky part is making a jig for the frame trusses so they all turn out the same and are symmetrical. The brass sizes are 3/32", 1/8" and 5/32".

Once I was happy with the jig, the actual cutting, shaping and soldering takes little time. I have about 10 hours invested in the jig/spine at this point and all that remains is final assembly of the trusses to make the basic spine framework and then fit the diagonal braces. I'm figuring about another 4-6 hours work and the spine should be complete.

I am using a razor saw with a duplicating jig from Micromark. Makes perfect cuts and consistent lengths an easy task.

Duplicating Jig

Here's some pictures of my progress so far.

CF104

Alphans
I was only able to spend a couple hours working on the spine yesterday. The trusses were assembled into the full frame and the end angle pieces fabricated and installed. I was only able to fit one diagonal brace before I had to stop. I plan on completing the spine today.

Pictures:

CF104

Alphans
I completed the spine this afternoon. Just have to clean off the flux and do some touch ups. Then a couple coats of Tamiya white metal primer to protect the brass. There's a total of 16 hours work put into the spine so far.

CF104

Alphans
Well, the spine is cleaned up and primed. Almost looks the part :yes:

There's a couple areas I need to address but they are minor and won't take long to fix. Next is to make a jig for the cages.

Here's pics of the completed spine.

Cheers,

John

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
Again nice work - but I've just got to ask why have you done the V-shaped frames (at either end) differently to the plan/original design. You appear to have the top edges just fixed to the upper longeron tube instead of going fully into the corners?

CF104

Alphans
I noticed this after fitting the first few in place. I decided it didn't look too bad so I left them as is. This spine is so much better than the one supplied in the AB kit I can live with a minor error. I'll promise to do the next one better. :O

Even Martin Bower made the same "error" on his second 22" Eagle. :think:

I built the jig for the cages yesterday and began building them today. They will be in sections like the original 44" Eagle. I'll be building all the cages as seen here before I add the cross braces and tubes on the bottom which are specific to their location.

With the proper planning and jig the actual building of the framework is not complicated at all. The jig took about 4 hours to design and build. The first cage up to this point was about another 4 hours but that also included cutting the tubes for the other three cages which will go much faster as the tube cutting time is minimal now.

Here's a few pics.

Puffy_Shirt

Alphans
How did you do the diagonal tubes with their "fish mouths" at each end?
Was each one custom measured and hand filed with a round file?

CF104

Alphans
How did you do the diagonal tubes with their "fish mouths" at each end?
Was each one custom measured and hand filed with a round file?

All of the 'fish mouths' are hand filed and custom fit. The majority of the framework is 1/8" and 3/32" tubing so the filing goes quick. I have files that are the same diameter of the tubing so this makes the ends easier to match to the framework being built.

Today I was able to finish up the basic framework for the 4 cages. I'll be adding the cross braces and bottom braces within the next day or two.

NeoGoglu

Alphans
Hi John !

Nice job ! :thumbup:

Looks very clean and sharp too.

I bought 1/8 brass tubing and a blade saw
and i wasn't able to get clean cuts like
you had, could you tell me what kind of blade
you are using ? is it plain or it has TPI ?

Mine is 52 TPI btw, thanks for your help.

Andre

CF104

Alphans
Hi John !

Nice job ! :thumbup:

Looks very clean and sharp too.

I bought 1/8 brass tubing and a blade saw
and i wasn't able to get clean cuts like
you had, could you tell me what kind of blade
you are using ? is it plain or it has TPI ?

Mine is 52 TPI btw, thanks for your help.

Andre

Hi Andre,

Thanks for the comment. As for cutting brass tubing, I'm using a duplicating jig from Micro Mark with a good razor saw. My saw is probably 52 tpi. The cuts come out square and need very little clean up.

Cheers,

John

Nicolas

Alphans
Hi all,

I'm not sure if I'm at the right place for this, but I'll give it a shot. First, I have to say that I'm really impressed with all the posts in there about space 1999 serie and the Eagle Transporter in particular. I was 7 when I watched the first episode and I just liked the serie. during the last few weeks, For an unknown reason, I just started to think about the Eagle a lot...Youtube I guess ? I sarted to look at models and I wanted to get the Eagle. I did some car and plane models when I was young and always liked it but I'm not an expert on this. Anyhow, I bought the Eagle Transporter from Warp (22", the spine in one piece) and it got in yesterday !

I'm pretty happy about it, but I'm pretty worried also...would I be able to do anything ? And if I do, will it look good ? I mean, I went through some pictures about realisations of members of this forum and I must say that I'm scared. I don't think I'm ready for this now, but I know I will (at last when I retire ?). Let just say that I'm at the information gathering stage, thanks for you patience.

Questions for the ones who have built Warp model:

- I found the instructions pretty limited. Those resine and metal models are always like this ?
- I found only 6 little blue moonbase alpha stickers in the box...is this normal ?
- Does anyone know of a step by step documentation of some sort I could use ?

Thanks for any help !

Nick

Nicolas

Alphans
You're right, I meant to write 12" and not 22" !

"...Eagle Transporter
(Warp) 1:72. 12” long. GRP & WM. All new tooling - the first accurate 1:72 model kit. Detachable pod. Decals.
Requires construction..."

I don't think I'll do any modifications whatsoever...sticking to the basics will be plenty of fun for me.

Thanks, Nick

CF104

Alphans
Small update

Small update today, almost finished CM frame adapter just need to add the straps on the tubes and this part is done.

Next up are the diagonal braces and then the engine section.

CF104

Alphans
Questions for the ones who have built Warp model:

- I found the instructions pretty limited. Those resine and metal models are always like this ?
- I found only 6 little blue moonbase alpha stickers in the box...is this normal ?
- Does anyone know of a step by step documentation of some sort I could use ?

Thanks for any help !

Nick

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum. Good to see another Canadian interested in Space 1999.

To answer your questions in order.

1. Most short run resin, multi-media kit instructions are a bit on the limited side. They tend to be this way as the maker is usually a modeler or master pattern builder and not a writer or graphic artist. An exception to this would be Alex Dumas at scihighmodels.com. His Swift kit is tops in both quality of the kit and has great instructions.

2. The Warp Eagle only has the Moonbase Alpha decals.

3. Here are a couple of Warp Eagle builds that I have bookmarked for my own reference.

Warp Eagle Build 1

Warp Eagle Build 2

Cheers,

John

CF104

Alphans
Cage Frames

The cross braces in the frames are in work and I've finished the CM adapter frame. Once the framework is complete it's on to the leg pods and then the CM clamps.

The cross braces in the cages were a lot of effort but they turned out good. The aft cages are complete except for the spine clamps which I'll get done tomorrow. I ran short of the angle stock for the leg pod supports but a quick trip to my local hardware store will fix that.

With any luck the spine and cages will be 'one' tomorrow. Here's a few pics.

Just a bit of visual progress. I needed a break from the soldering so I fit the aft section leg pods this morning.

Just a single photo visual progress update while I'm building the spine clamps. The leg pods have their mounting arms attached and inserted into the cages with the spine just set on top for now. Hope to have the clamps on and spine attached with hardware later today.

verry nice job here is a picture of the original 22" beak cast for me by phill as you can see it was not a perfict model the frame does not match perfectly with Daniel's drawings

Attachments

• 102_4183.jpg
    102_4183.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 102_4182.jpg
    102_4182.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 102_4181.jpg
    102_4181.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 47

CF104

Alphans
verry nice job here is a picture of the original 22" beak cast for me by phill as you can see it was not a perfict model the frame does not match perfectly with chris's drawrings

Thanks for the photos. That beak sure is a bit rough looking. Is this cast from the first or second 22" Eagle? There is a split line running horizontally through the beak that doesn't appear on the 22" Eagles as shown in the Catacombs. Did Phil take two half casts and put them together afterwards?

Cheers,

John

MADsen

Alphans
Two types of 22" AB Eagles ??

So there is 2 types of 22" AB Eagle kits ?

Those 2 types they doen´t fit Daniels blueprints then..?

Not sure about the version of this eagle but no to the two halfs this was cast as one pice spliting the mold halfs left this line i will be cleaning this up to make a hollow cast to put this on my 22" eagle

This is not an AB kit this is cast from an original eagle beak from phil many years ago i used it as a paper weight for a long time lol not a clean cast needs some work

The size of this is a little smaller than the 22" blueprints i do not know if this is due to shrinkage of the rubber phil used i doubt it would shrink this much though an exact measurement of the 22" eagle is needed it may be 22" long but the width of the frame may be different comparing the drawings to the original