Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Airfix Eagle

matteline

Alphans
I recently moved house and unpacked the last few boxes and my this. an Airfix Eagle I made - aka battled with - about 10 years ago. I didn't go all the way but did some work to get it a bit more accurate; narrowed the spine rigging, adjusted the nose cone / beak, moved the landing gear pods to a more correct position and slimmed down the passenger model. I added some small details and added panel lines hand drawn in pencil. This is not up to the standard of the work elsewhere on this site, but I think t's a quite respectable rendition of the craft, without spending an arm and a leg.

Attachments

• IMG_0332[1].jpg
    IMG_0332[1].jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0333[2].jpg
    IMG_0333[2].jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
It lloks good for the period where there was not as many reference material and aftermarket parts as today.

I think it displays very well!:thumbup:

ViperRecon

Alphans
Nice! I'm doing something similar with my re-issue release - shortened the spine, got rid of the gaps between the pod and the cages, beefed up the engine area a bit, replaced the ball tanks, and cut the command module away so I could glue it to a modified resin copy of the rear bulkhead. The only aftermarket parts I'm using are a set of landing gear from Shapeways. Not screen accurate but no one at work will know and if someone asks I can say it represents an eagle cobbled together from surviving bits of transporters crashed by Koenig and Carter :)

I think yours looks great!

Moebius

Alphans
I've very fond memories of the Airfix Eagle (And the Airfix Hawk). It might not have been the most screen accurate model but just holding one in your hands when the model was released in the 70's was a very special moment for a 1999 fan.

matteline

Alphans
True enough. Although you couldn't crash-land it in garden the same way that you could the Dinky Eagle (of course this had to be the Eagle Freighter with the Transporter passenger module - so it was an almost authentic all white ship).
The Hawk as far as I remember was a decent kit.

ViperRecon

Alphans
Gotta admit it's better than the Academy, Imai, Imex versions... I was just looking at the catacombs entry on them - yikes!

thundergod

Alphans
Maybe if the re-issued Eagle sells well , then we might get the Hawk ! ( Your Eagle looks excellent , by the way matteline ) .:thumbup:

ViperRecon

Alphans
My understanding is that they have to find the Hawk molds first... It's a popular subject though - I think they'd release it if they could no matter how well the Eagle re-issue goes.

TV21Dalek

Alphans
Are they reissuing the Eagle? I still have my Airfix one in a bag (took it apart about 10 years ago to restore it but never got started).

ViperRecon

Alphans
Yes, with an expanded decal sheet (but no other fixes). Should be out around the end of the year. They say that if we buy enough of them they might consider doing a larger, more accurate one... The last re-release sold out quickly if I remember correctly, and judging from posts on other boards many of them remain boxed up in stashes and collections so I wonder if there is really a market for it this time. Heck, the re-re-release is the main reason I revisited my abandoned re-release buildup.

If mine turns out as well as matteline's I'll consider myself lucky :)

Last edited:
Airfix Eagles continued....

Hi there ETF members, seems the Airfix Eagle stirs up some strong emotions. Well I bought mine back in the 70s, and have worked on them on and off since then - three of the four are shown here, along with the solitary Hawk. I have a reissued one as well but, well, recently it got Cartered and awaits repair.

Anyway, the waste pallet, the lab pod modificationand the rejigged landing gear is all my own work, as is the idea for the Rescue Eagle's "workshops look". I love them - I know they're not accurate, and nor is my own work, but I love them nevertheless. Hope some of you like what I've done, apologies for butting in on someone else's thread - I forgot all about Dragon's Domain, sorry Bernie.

Kindest regards,

Patrick

Attachments

• IMG-20131017-00217.jpg
    IMG-20131017-00217.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-20131017-00218.jpg
    IMG-20131017-00218.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG-20131017-00219.jpg
    IMG-20131017-00219.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG-20131017-00220.jpg
    IMG-20131017-00220.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20131017-00221.jpg
    IMG-20131017-00221.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 53

thundergod

Alphans
I know the Eagle kit has its problems , but I'm with Moebius , back in the 70's , when you had it in your hands , it was AN EAGLE ! If the re-issue was reasonably priced , the nostalgia alone would be enough for me to buy a couple , warts 'n all . :yes:

matteline

Alphans
I watched 'StarCrash' the other week, and the opening shot of a ship flying by camera (just like Star Wars of course) and the ship is adorned with numerous pieces of the Airfix Eagle - most obviously the nose / beak clearly stuck on the side. The other very obvious one is in 'The Amazing Captain Nemo' where the enemy ship (the Raven?) is largely made from an Eagle - the back spine and engine assembly.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Hi Matteline,

I need to thank you for solving a puzzle for me. I thought the flyby scenario was from Battlestar Galactica. I will see if I can capture a still from Stella Starcrash as I remember it to. The half Eagle Beak was sort of placed just inside the end of a Saturn V stage one body half, I can see it in my minds eye.... :)

Luckily it's on Youtube, right around 1:04 Eagle parts everywhere.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR-SSpuwjzk[/ame]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 10.26.35.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 10.26.35.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 51

SteveDix

Alphans
Hi Matteline,

I need to thank you for solving a puzzle for me. I thought the flyby scenario was from Battlestar Galactica. I will see if I can capture a still from Stella Starcrash as I remember it to. The half Eagle Beak was sort of placed just inside the end of a Saturn V stage one body half, I can see it in my minds eye.... :)

Luckily it's on Youtube, right around 1:04 Eagle parts everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR-SSpuwjzk

The entire "Murray Leinster" is covered with Eagle. The Pod is visible on the top sections, as are the leg pods. It's really a classic case of how not to go about detailing a ship, but I love the film to bits anyway, especially some of the more corny dialogue (which got cut out of the US release).

I particularly like the escape pods, which are blatantly German armoured car bodies with bits of Saturn V and lunar module stuck on them - faithfully reproduced on the full-scale set.

What makes the film all the more interesting is that the majority of the special-effects work was done by one man, using a Harryhausen-style back-projection system and a model-mover that was little more than an O-gauge railway.