Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Airfix Stingray with custom detailing

ciso

Alphans
Since posting the Aqua Sprite i have been asked for some pics of the details on the model.Generally know as a 1/72 kit,the more realistic deffinition is its 1/144th when you bare in mind the diameter in the conning tower is meant to take two figures on injector tubes,in chairs ,and just one figure supplied would take up the diameter alloted for the conning tower opening .The standard model has been beefed up with various features,telecopic retractable skies,4 working hydro fins (as seen in "Treasure down Below"),clear rate master,detailed interior with the crew,removable aqua sprites and lights,and an electric motor.it took me around two years to do,but i'm pleased with it,hope you all approve.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 137
  • interior1.jpg
    interior1.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 107
  • front hydro fins.jpg
    front hydro fins.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 84
  • conning tower1.jpg
    conning tower1.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 115
  • above front.jpg
    above front.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 125
  • rear hydro planes.jpg
    rear hydro planes.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 103
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 101
Stand By For Action!

Worth every minute you spent on it, I'd imagine. A difficult vehicle on which to work, given the fact you have to fit in the tiny crew members but, at the same time, convey a considerable sense of size. Thanks for posting your photos as it's not every day we get the chance to see a new Stingray.

Kindest regards,

Patrick

ciso

Alphans
a few more interor pics

here are a few extra pics where you can see,a little more of the interior with Marina sat on the rear couch.( again the the surface has a few dust specs,these are not in the finish)

Attachments

• marina.jpg
    marina.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 104
  • interior 2.jpg
    interior 2.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 105
  • underside 2.jpg
    underside 2.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 120

boatshewsd2

Alphans
Worth every minute you spent on it, I'd imagine. A difficult vehicle on which to work, given the fact you have to fit in the tiny crew members but, at the same time, convey a considerable sense of size. Thanks for posting your photos as it's not every day we get the chance to see a new Stingray.

Kindest regards,

Patrick

Agreed; we have Sting, Sprite & Co in full context!

Lrl

Alphans
Lovely detail, I was very surprised by the shot with hands in, that thing is a lot smaller than I thought.

ciso

Alphans
the model was painted in a silver base and ,follwed by the secondary blues ,and then the yellow was last to go on,the rate master was cast,and then polished,using the supplied kit part,which was hollowed out.I am also 3/4 the way through doing a Terror fish.

TV21Dalek

Alphans
In terms of accuracy... how does the Stingray kit compare to the filming models? It looks to be almost spot on to my eyes.

bobs56

Alphans
The Airfix Stingray is a different shape to any of the filiming miniatures (there were at least 3 that I know of). The Airfix version is very close to the 'Reg Hill' pre-production Stingray.

The Airfix Stingray here looks heavily modified (for the better in my opinion), as there are several differences between this and the one I have still in bits.

If I ever get round to building mine, and it looks even half as good as this one, I'll be more than pleased.

miger1

Alphans
The Airfix Stingray here looks heavily modified (for the better in my opinion), as there are several differences between this and the one I have still in bits.

Agreed, the cabin area particularly, but is better for it.:)

miger1

Alphans
I'm still looking for an Airfix Stingray----so if anyone has one to sell, drop me a line............