Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

ALIEN HARDWARE

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
Thought you might like to see this see what kit parts you can spot.
The helmet was made by props but finished in the model shop I think...made before I joined the unit

And this. These are the small "childrens" suits made to make the sets look bigger than they actually were. The scene being shot was a forced perpective " insert", shot at the model unit studio after the main shoot at Sheppertonof the astros walking on the Nostromo miniature set that was in the background. Sadly, it was cut from the final cut, but does make it to the docos on the DVD quadrilogy set.
I say sadly because that's me in one of the suits....! The only person on the model unit small enough to get into one! The other astro is wone of the very petite girls from the production office.
After directions I set off walking as though I was on the moon...seemed like the right thing to do (I didn;t know that the gravity was supposed to be similar to earth. Ridley immediatly said CUT, and it was re-shot. I felt a right idiot.

I have loads of shots from my time working in the model shop on Alien if you want to see some of them.

Phil Rae

Guest01

Alphans
yeah the good ole hawk:thumbup:nice one phil.Have you by chance any pics of the crafts and vechiles( cant remember if there was vechiles in the first film,will have to go watch it now ,doh)?thx Rob

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
I have tons of the craft but only this of the vehicles

that's an SFX tech called Neil Swan in the background...it was a cold winter, but we all had FUN....great experience for me at 23

DX-SFX

Alphans
Since this seems to be a more appropriate thread for this, here's a small update to the Aliens FX crew:

From left to right- John Packenham, Simon Dearing, MB, MM, Martin Gant, Bill Pearson, Ron Hone, Andrew Kelley.

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
This is a miniture of the airlock Kane's body was ejected from. It was built by Bill Pearson and was only about 12 inches across.....even has a detailed interior
A compressed air pump was used to snap the door open.
The miniature body was fired through the hatch by crossbow by Nick Allder

And this is how you see it in the movie....what a waste!

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
As I think I've already said, we were given free reign to do what we wanted to do, so we super-detailed pretty much every thing......much of it lost in Ridley's darkness.
It was disappointing.....but HEY we had fun!
I'll post some more pics on the ALIEN thread I started
Phil

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
Here's another example with the huge nose section we made.
I still have the window....my only souvenir.....apart from my photos

More later
Phil

skiffy

Alphans
i presume the window section was removable so that they could run the TV monitor inside it to get the effect of the crew moving around. Great stuff Phil!

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
BTW.....we were told to remove the Union jack from the cockpit window section ....why I can't remember. Also, please note the pair of eyes on the front windshield....they went too!

William0999

Alphans
Thank you for posting these great images Phil. The production design on Alien was absolutely fantastic. The Nostromo remains one of my favorite cinematic spacecraft. As design goes; the Nostromo stands the test of time.

deraenged

Chief Eagle Pilot
i presume the window section was removable so that they could run the TV monitor inside it to get the effect of the crew moving around. Great stuff Phil!

No, it wasn't removeable as far as I recall...I prized it off before they put it on a bonfire! Got the big antenna dish too!