Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

ALIEN prequel

Ham Salad

Alphans
It's great to see Ridley getting back to SF, he really is very suited to it. The only issue I can see is that he tends to sacrifice storytelling for the sake of experience, I hope that this has a strong script.

Also, I getting to utterly HATE the idea of films in the future that use current era firearms, this is as silly as having a jet pilot armed with a flintlock.

Glazy

Alphans
It's great to see Ridley getting back to SF, he really is very suited to it. The only issue I can see is that he tends to sacrifice storytelling for the sake of experience, I hope that this has a strong script.

Also, I getting to utterly HATE the idea of films in the future that use current era firearms, this is as silly as having a jet pilot armed with a flintlock.

This was mentioned on The Mighty Mississippi With Trevor McDonald the other night, the Browning Machine Gun designed in 1918 is still in service even now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Browning_machine_gun

So if Prometheus is set around 2083 like Scott has stated why wouldn't they be using weapons developed in the 90's or 00's ? If a gun does it's job and is reliable then they'll keep on using it, again the Uzi is 64 years old and still in service !

Ham Salad

Alphans
This was mentioned on The Mighty Mississippi With Trevor McDonald the other night, the Browning Machine Gun designed in 1918 is still in service even now!

It is in service...just not in that form. The current M2 is not the same as the 1918 version.

So if Prometheus is set around 2083 like Scott has stated why wouldn't they be using weapons developed in the 90's or 00's ? If a gun does it's job and is reliable then they'll keep on using it, again the Uzi is 64 years old and still in service !

Because we already have better weapons, and the uzi isn't in first line service, either. Just because these weapons still exist (lots of people I know own weapons that are more than 100 years old) doesn't means such antiques are in or would be used in any sort of service. So again, 1. Better weapons already exist, 2. energy weapons are already being used and replacing slug throwers, 3. slug throwers utterly absurd in space : in a ship, they punch holes out into space and/or holes in vital equipment/wiring, outside they are silly in that they are too short ranged and slow acting.

Finally, remember wikipedia isn't a valid source for information: facts are not determined by consensus.

Glazy

Alphans

It is in service...just not in that form. The current M2 is not the same as the 1918 version.

Because we already have better weapons, and the uzi isn't in first line service, either. Just because these weapons still exist (lots of people I know own weapons that are more than 100 years old) doesn't means such antiques are in or would be used in any sort of service. So again, 1. Better weapons already exist, 2. energy weapons are already being used and replacing slug throwers, 3. slug throwers utterly absurd in space : in a ship, they punch holes out into space and/or holes in vital equipment/wiring, outside they are silly in that they are too short ranged and slow acting.

Finally, remember wikipedia isn't a valid source for information: facts are not determined by consensus.

Well they're still using 'slug throwers' as you call them in Aliens set in 2179.

Ham Salad

Alphans
Well they're still using 'slug throwers' as you call them in Aliens set in 2179.

I didn't like that, either...for one thing, they already established they had energy weapons in ALIEN.

At least in ALIENS they were disguised, futuristic slug throwers. I can forgive it when they dress the gun (at least a bit), so it isn't obviously 20th century gun rental. For example, I thought the 'gas guns' in 'the caves of androzani' were rather clever.

mike s

Alphans
I think it looks very very interesting but a bit 'sci-fi' - the thing that helped make Alien so great was that it had a rough lived-in feel to it

also the cast are a bit pretty for me - yes I know Sigourney was nice looking in Alien but overall they were great character actors

I still can't wait though :)

mike s

Alphans
Prometheus is very very good but not classic

some rough dire-logue and silly behaviour from characters - yes I know she goes back for the cat in Alien but its organic to the film, it doesn't pull you right out of it - well it didn't me anyway :)

Mark42

Chief Eagle Pilot
One of the better films of recent years, always good to see a decent spaceship film. But I just didn't think that it held together and made total sense. The motivation of certain main characters seemed confused, which confused me, you had characters dying who you barely knew were in the film because they hardly had a line, some story threads didn't seem to have a reason, the major scene involving the operation didn't feel as it fitted into the rest of the film properly (like there were scenes missing afterwards), and I didn't much care for the end.
But apart from that it did look good!

I absolutely loved it.
Been three times so far, an incredible event movie.
Art design was excellent, lots of nods to the original, the music was excellent.
It was tense and claustrophobic -Like Alien was. I was
totally engrossed from start to finish.
But there is a chunk missing- can't wait for the Directors cut release on DVD/Bluray later this year.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Glenn Allen

Alphans
I liked it a lot mainly because i did not spend months on forums reading all the rumours floating around so went to see it with a open mind ,I think a Lot of Alien fans went in with hopes built up , I only saw the Trailer a month before the film came out.. I saw this film set in the same Universe as Alien , but not a direct prequel to Alien ... I want one of those cool spacesuits :thumbup:

Ham Salad

Alphans
I did a big ALIEN display at a local theater, I sent a photo to one of the mods, perhaps he will post it here.

*EDIT*

Apologies for the late inclusion, it's been crazy busy here - Display looked good - enjoy all :D

healvis

Alphans
Watched the film tonight (2D) and to be honest I thought it was a bit vague. Some very good scenes though but definately not a patch on the original. I believe this is the first in a series of films leading up to immediately before the original, so there should be plenty to come.

Goldy.

Alphans
Bored....

In all honesty,I went to see it with an open mind.
With the exception of a few scenes,the film never really got started.
And what was with the giant facehugger at the end?
Never mind how the ceramic dna holders managed to mutate into eggs for the original classic....
I have only seen three films in which the audience has been silent when the credits rolled.
1st-saving private ryan. I think most were shell-shocked at the violence.
2nd-Titanic. Clearly this was an emotional film,reducing some to tears.
3rd-Prometheus. Silence for about 15seconds,then a voice from the back,"that was cr*p".
That kick-started a general concensus.
I tried to like it,but couldnt,unfortunately.
I think we've seen the end of any alien movies...:(