Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

All-white Dinky Eagles were NEVER released!!!

Thats why I was forced to paint mine with white emulsion. with somewhat disastous effect. That eagle (having been ruined anyway), was involved in a horrific (carter style) crash!!!!

Phil

Alphans
Hi,

Here is some slight evidence of the existence of all white Dinky Eagles transporters. It's a scan from the page of Speed & Power (July 25th 1975) just as Dinky were releasing the transporter. Price just £2.99!

The Eagle in the top right appears to be all white - though I have a suspicion that it may have been hand painted as the area behind the side thrusters has been painted black. Similarly the pod steps seem rather light.

(I posted this image in a different thread over a year ago, so I hope no-one minds resurrecting it).

http://img530.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eaglespread1tr9.jpg

paul gray

Forum Supporter
it's possible this model was a prototype dinky produced to show to the toy trade and then when production time came around they realised they had a shed load of metalic green paint to get rid of and the rest they say is history. thanks for posting the picture though. i used to read this mag every week. was very disappointed as a kid when it stopped being published
cheers Paul

Phil

Alphans
I like the explanation Paul, that sounds very convincing to me. Yep, S&P was a fantastic magazine - real boys stuff. It's sad looking through the old collection to see the quality of the magazine deteriorate over time. The early copies were full of colour and posters, the later ones had just a colour cover and cheap paper. It should have run for years really.

Here's another pic in case the link doesn't work.

Last edited:

Bishop

Alphans
That pod definitely looks like a prototype as the doors appear to be a matt colour (the whole pod looks off white) rather than bright red. The eagle may be one of the first run freighter eagles. The decal was never in that position on the released pod either.

DX-SFX

Alphans
Since it bears no similarity with any released version, I wouldn't be inclined to put too much credence on it as evidence of an all white version.

Hello to anyone who may still be interested in this thread a year and a half later... :)

Can't say I have anything terribly new or enlightening to add but here's just a couple of things:

I fired off a worlwide search of ebay for Dinky eagles to see what's going around in the way of all white eagles these days, the results are as follows:

A total of 90 results but a lot were for parts or stickers etc.

4 all whiteys:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dinky-Space-1999-Eagle-Transporter_W0QQitemZ200429229596 - asking start bid of £44.55 - no bids yet - 1 day to go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Space-199-Eagle-from-1974-Die-cast-VGC-Dinky_W0QQitemZ200429132894 - asking start bid of $50.00 Australian - no bids yet - 3 days to go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dinky-Space-1999-Eagle-Freighter_W0QQitemZ270515387023 - currently at £10.49 with 2 bids - 3 days to go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Dinky-Toys-1975-79-EAGLE-FREIGHTER-SPACE-1999_W0QQitemZ220503793924 - asking £55.24 (reduced from £84.99!) Buy it Now.

The first one is listed as a restoration - who knows how it started out. Two of the above have matching red rear and lower thrusters, one is not shown and the last one has red rear thrusters and (crusty) chrome lower thrusters.

My perspective on the issue is that the people who are buying the rare all white version for it's collectible/resale value are fools who deserve to be parted with their money purely because they have failed to do some basic research. Having said this, sellers who are claiming them to be originally issued this way are either knowingly unscrupulous or just as ignorant. Neither is really acceptable.

I am one of the lucky owners of one of these all white Dinky Eagles. I consider myself lucky for the folowing reasons:
1. I paid only £17.00 for it a couple of years ago & it's in very good condition
2. I believe it is all original ie: not repainted etc (regardless of whether the the body originally had a freighter pod)
3. I bought it for me and not for any investment potential (I'd never sell it anyway)
4. I absolutely LOVE it!!! :D

One question I have, if anyone can shed any light on this one for me: Did a white eagle body (with any kind of pod) ever come out that had the 'chrome' plated rear thrusters? I think mine has red ones but I'm not able to check as it is currently in storage with all my other beloved goodies. :(

Cheers all,

Lee
PurpleAlphan

alfalfa

Alphans
Er I think theres full list of available Dinky Eagles by Eagle himself on the websites home page. i.e. the one that comes before the forum.

Wow! Thanks for the links to those resources regarding the dinky eagles. I had looked at the page on this site but had really only looked at the kits section - I didn't realise there was such in depth info on the toys as well further down the page. This site just continues to amaze me!

Lee
PurpleAlphan

Bishop

Alphans
Yes, welcome PurpleAlphan, another person from Adelaide. That makes three of us. :thumbup: I'm assuming you found the info you need. It was the first issue of the Dinky Freighter that had the chromed engine bells and white body. The blue version of the Freighter never did. The second edition of the Eagle left the chrome off, going with the base colour red. The creators of some of those wondrously rare white eagles can't even bother to check whether the bells on the pods match those on the Eagle. The other interesting thing to watch for is the correct colour attitude thrusters on the side pods. First series - chromed engine bells - yellow thrusters. Second series - red engine bells and red attitude thrusters. Generally people will pay more for a good first series example.

Hey, thanks for the welcome guys! Bishop, whereabouts are you located? I'm actually up in the Adelaide Hills - Mt. Barker but soon moving to Dawesley. Thanks also for the additional dinky info. If memory serves me correctly my white one has red rear thrusters and shoulder thrusters but I cant remember what the pod has... hmmm.

Well, I'm off now to drool all over my new Replicas Unlimited 23inch Eagle kit that just arrived today. Woohoo!!!
Hmmm... I wonder if drool will get the mold release of!?!? ;)

bren

Alphans
My old blue freighters which I no longer have usually ended up being painted humbrol white and generally looking a mess. I was only 6 at the time.

I had a transporter pod in the loft and managed to get a white eagle for £12 of ebay. I stripped all the paint with stripper, resprayed with gloss white enamel etc bought new retro thrusters and decals and I now have the white transporter I always wanted. Shame dinky never made them.

Yeah, I think it's completely understandable that people swap components or even modify their Dinky toys to get the Eagle they always really wanted. It's just when they try to flog them off as geniune or original that it becomes a problem.

Cheers,

Lee
PurpleAlphan

Last edited:

Bishop

Alphans
I did up a rubbish one a couple of years ago now. Its somewhere here. I'm at Somerton Park, renting at present.

alfalfa

Alphans
I was in Paris last weekend and came across a shop selling pretty much everything you ever wanted for Xmas and birthdays but didn't get (if you were me) as a kid. Actionman, Star Wars, Alien all vintage. But best of all it had a whole case full of S1999 stuff. V v expensive 100 Euros for an unboxed Dinky Transporter 200 Euros boxed. Got a few photos.