Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Another Zero X

saturnapollo

Alphans
Surprised that there has not been more reaction (well, any, really) to this news.

I've decided to order it and once I see it in the resin, I'll more than likely cancel my order with HLJ for the diecast.

Keith

saturnapollo

Alphans
Well, the Ajamodels Zero X arrived today and I'm pretty pleased with it. It's made of a light blue very lightweight strange resin. Comes with a very comprehensive decal sheet.

Eagle, if you were underwhelmed with the forthcoming Aoshimsa diecast you would love this.

The most obvious mods are:

seperate the MEV from the main body
the MEV crew cabin shape needs to be modified

I intend preserving the option of having the ability to display both in-flight and landing version, by using hinges at the wing tips of Lifting Body 1 and thinking of imbedding magnets to allow the temporary attachment of the LBs, which should work as the medium is quite light in weight.

The instructions say the colour is racing blue and it does look nice and that may be the colour used by the guy who scratchbuilt Zero X in the article which appeared in issue 2 of Sci fi & fantasy modeller. However I think I will opt for a metallic blue. Anyone any idea what shade should be used?

Keith

sliuman

Forum Supporter
Good to hear you like it. I thought it looked impressive on the Federation Models site.

I think someone somewhere mentioned that this might be similar to a large scale semi-solid kit produced by Imai circa 1989... There was a large TB2 released at the same time.

As usual both of them are still in the box. I should drag the Zero X out and take some pics.

I've got the Aoshima on order - but only cos it's more display friendly.

saturnapollo

Alphans
I have that TB2 model - it was made from strange dense expanded polystyre with a very thin layer of resin). Turned out to almost impossible to work with!

Didn't get the Zero X. I think the nosecone was moulded in place?

Keith

sliuman

Forum Supporter
Gad...I just took the thing out snapped two pics and packed it all away again!

Didn't notice if the MEV was moulded together, but I think you're right.

Your model has what look like completed undercarriage, that should make life easier. The size is about the same. 633mm it states on the box. And light too, like yours.

Got those kits (customs form states 1991!) because there was nothing like them at the time. Now of course, it's a different story, good toys pop up every year from Japan!

Still take a look here...(edit to add pics...Mark, slap me if they're too big. Ta.) (Ooops they were.)

and

cheers

:)

saturnapollo

Alphans
Thanks very much for posting the photos.

That looks very similar. I wouldn't be surprised if the new one is a remould of yours. And you're right about the undercarriage.

Keith

sliuman

Forum Supporter
No probs, Keith. I'll try to take some more detailed pics if you like. Let me know...

Cheers
Steve

TonyB

Forum Supporter
sliuman, I too had that Imai kit, one I had wanted for absolutely years, however when I got hold of one and found that there was no MEV just the Heat Shield I rapidly lost interest in it as I did not want it in that configuration. So I sold it on, I am not really complaining though as I got lucky and only paid £80 for the kit in mid 2001 and sold it for over £250.00 in late 2003.

saturnapollo, the metallic blue colour for the Zero X is Ford Cosmos Blue available from Halfords in 300ml cans at around £5.00. That is the colour I used on the two MEV kist that I built earlier this year, the information on the colour was supplied by David Sissons so you should find it pretty accurate.

sliuman

Forum Supporter
Cor, 250 quid (sorry, hard to find a pound symbol on this keyboard)...I forget what it cost me in '91 but I'm sure it was less than that.

I suppose I should be more mercenary, then I would sell on some of the things I have. But, I just can't do it.

Bought the MEV a few months ago from Comet, but neglected to pick up a can of paint from Halfords when I was back in the UK.

Not too many Halfords in HK, I'm afraid. Anyone know of a similar colour in a can? That way I can ensure consistency with the other models out there.

Ooh, wait! I have a cousin visiting london on business...maybe I can get him to bring a can back...

saturnapollo

Alphans
Ah, I was right about the nosecone being moulded in place then. I do seem to remember when I discovered that I lost interest, plus the material it was made from too put me off).

Thanks very much for the info on the paint. I'll get a can or two.

Keith