Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Anyone ever tried a Space: 1999 fan film?

tim

Alphans
The thought occurred to me that Victor Bergman, Paul Morrow, and David Kano did not die after Year 1; instead, Koenig assigned these men to develop a "Beta site". This site would be used to mine materials to further develop itself, but also to provide a remote research station and a new source of raw materials for Alpha.

Works for me, it would be nice to see these characters again. Maybe Tanya is there too. This would be a good explantion as to why Sandra disappeared for much of S2.

That warranted the introduction of Tony Cellini

Wasn't this because an Italian station was fronting some of the money, on condition that Italian actors guest starred (the guy who played Mateo in Troubled Spirit and the fellow who played Luke in Testiment Of Arkadia being the other two)?

PeteQ

Alphans
Since this thread began I've been thinking of a few more ideas.

We know that Terry Nation pitched Blake's Seven as "The Dirty Dozen in space", yet if you watch that series it's not an SF remake of the classic film with Lee Marvin, Ernest Borngnine and the rest :lol:

So how about this: because the moon has been drifting endlessly through space, some of the Alphans have been going a little "stir crazy". Yet they are, otherwise, highly intelligent, highly skilled people. What if someone gave them another chance? As with The Dirty Dozen a part of their rehab could be in building the "beta site", plus having to overcome some of their own personal problems. (Season one did this with Tony Cellini and Regina - even Matteo from "The Troubled Spirit". Season two explored it very well with the Osgoods in "Catacombs of the Moon".) Just an idea...

PeteQ

Alphans
Wasn't this because an Italian station was fronting some of the money, on condition that Italian actors guest starred (the guy who played Mateo in Troubled Spirit and the fellow who played Luke in Testiment Of Arkadia being the other two)?

I believe so. The original writer's guidelines also mention "an as yet unnamed Italian male", which became Paul in Season One and Tony Verdeshi in Season Two.

VTracy

Alphans
Here's my take on a "Base Camp Beta" expedition itinerary:

Expedition oversight and liaison with Alpha:
Alan Carter
Sandra Benes
Maya

Expedition on-site administration:
Paul Morrow, C.O.
Victor Bergman, X.O. and chief scientist
David Kano, C.O.O.
Jim Haines, Assistant Chief Scientist, head of R&D

Surface Expedition Teams (S.E.T.)

An example of a S.E.T. would be Sanderson's team of four astronauts, as seen in "The Seance Spectre".

Each S.E.T. would be comprised of three to five astronauts; all experienced, outfitted and trained to do mining, processing/manufacturing and construction work. At any time, there would be one-to-four S.E.T.s working at the Beta site on a rotating basis from either the base camp or from Alpha. So there could be as few as three "grunts" there, or as many as 20, depending on what work needs to be done and if there are any emergencies back at Alpha. (Traces of this kind of lunar mining and exploration can also be seen in "Catacombs of the Moon" and "The Mark of Archanon".)

That's good. How about this? Koenig has been using Victor, Paul and Kano on not quite "secret" missions, but very quiet ones. This could at least help explain their absences. Koenig has been sending them out on long mapping and perhaps also excavation duties, because he's looking for something.

Since we know Koenig and Bergman have been with the space program for a long time as seen from other episodes, perhaps there were aware of the rumors that there was a secret, defensive military base on the moon. I think this could tie in nicely with the UFO series, no? Maybe they found it, and Koenig has had the other 3, plus sometimes Sandra working to harvest/salvage what was left over.

Just a thought

... and another Space:1999 fan-film is...

... taking off right now, too!

A small group of like-minded fans over on Facebook have just gotten together these last few days to 'imagine, discuss, develop and hopefully, sometime soon, produce an all-new fan-created web series or film faithfully based on the original 1970s series, its characters, its storylines and its visual designs.'

It's early days yet but ideas and concepts are already being bandied about and we're looking for others to join us; perhaps to contribute to the development of what we think will be a very exciting venture; possibly to offer talent or resources; or even just to follow our progress.

So, if you're on Facebook, please do join our FB group, Space:1999 Continues, at the following link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/650194508406068/

It'd be great to have your support!

Attachments

• space1999_FBHeader_02_800x600.jpg
    space1999_FBHeader_02_800x600.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 13
Radical but workable?

Find a real-life location to mirror "Delta" (Beta having been destroyed when Area 2 went up) - Cosford, for example? I've never been there but they may have hangar space, etc - what about a flat pack Eagle leg, full size, like the Tardis they obviously put in a Transit when filming outdoor scenes?

The story is that Keonig knew Alpha had a finite life - he'd have helped draw up the survival plans should Earth ever stop supplying the Moon (natural disaster, etc) and kept this to himself for years. Eventually, at crisis point, Victor challenged him, stating that opening Delta up was the only way of ensuring at least some of the Alphans survived. Refusing to accept the challenge, Keonig ordered Bergman to forget about it, but a small section of the Executive Team sided with the Professor and set off to revive Delta. Effectively a mini-revolt, but one from which Keonig never fully recovered, leading to his eventual ousting, and Alan Carter taking up the role.

The ex-Commander's health deteriorated rapidly after this - too many years in command - (insert your own theory here about the outcome). Fast forward to Carter, Benes, Haines and Morrow, at a crisis meeting, discussing Bergman's disappearance on the surface of the Moon, and the awful discovery that part of Waste Area 2 never actually burnt itself out - and magnetic radiation levels are starting to peak again......

Kindest regards

Patrick

... and that's just the sort of high concept spin-off/sequel we're discussing right now over at the Facebook group!

Find a real-life location to mirror "Delta" (Beta having been destroyed when Area 2 went up) - Cosford, for example? I've never been there but they may have hangar space, etc - what about a flat pack Eagle leg, full size, like the Tardis they obviously put in a Transit when filming outdoor scenes?

What a good idea! I'd love for a full-size Eagle leg to be built, it'd certainly look very impressive! The rest of the craft would obviously be either model work or CGI-d in.

The story is that Keonig knew Alpha had a finite life - he'd have helped draw up the survival plans should Earth ever stop supplying the Moon (natural disaster, etc) and kept this to himself for years. Eventually, at crisis point, Victor challenged him, stating that opening Delta up was the only way of ensuring at least some of the Alphans survived. Refusing to accept the challenge, Keonig ordered Bergman to forget about it, but a small section of the Executive Team sided with the Professor and set off to revive Delta. Effectively a mini-revolt, but one from which Keonig never fully recovered, leading to his eventual ousting, and Alan Carter taking up the role.

The ex-Commander's health deteriorated rapidly after this - too many years in command - (insert your own theory here about the outcome). Fast forward to Carter, Benes, Haines and Morrow, at a crisis meeting, discussing Bergman's disappearance on the surface of the Moon, and the awful discovery that part of Waste Area 2 never actually burnt itself out - and magnetic radiation levels are starting to peak again......

Kindest regards

Patrick

Some very interesting ideas there, for sure! It's a very intriguing idea that of a Delta base, sort-of a smaller version of Alpha perhaps. After all, why couldn't there have been a contingency like this, it makes sense.

Thanks for your input, Patrick!

PeteQ

Alphans

Kindest regards

Patrick

This is reminding me of the film, Ice Station Zebra. But absolutely no reason why this couldn't be done in a SF style, say with some "unknown" alien entity living in there (c.f. Dragon's Domain, The Thing, and of course The Thing from Another World, etc.). Then perhaps the revelation that it is actually a benevolent force which has been "healing" the missing characters.

PeteQ

Alphans
I've also been musing on an idea for Inferno: 1999.

If you compare "Breakaway" with the Jon Pertwee era Dr Who story, "Inferno" the stories are quite similar. Instead of a malignancy in the brain due to radiation, in "Inferno" its a green slime which first of all transforms people into raging psychopaths but then into savage creatures (Primords)

So how about this. A remount of "Breakaway" but set in the doppelgänger universe where the Space Commission is a part of a brutal Totalitarian dictatorship and Main Mission is the control centre of a forced labour camp. Simmonds is now part of the elite - a kind of SS faction - and he is putting pressure upon Koenig to continue with unloading nuclear waste (done with forced labour) and to make preparations for the launch of the Meta Probe (named after a to-be-named dictator).

Koenig must then search his conscience by challenging Simmonds and the brutal regime - even though this would mean he is charged with sedition. Yet it is either this, or the end of all life on Earth if the waste dumps explode.

And another thing....

I'd always imagined Koenig, either with his command wrested from him, or suffering from severe depression (and who could blame him?) stalking the empty halls of Main Mission, spending more and more time up there.....

I've noted before, if you watch "Death's Other Dominion" and Koenig's reaction to the Alphans' readiness to throw in their lot with Cabot's survivors - is it truly their welfare he's concerned about, or does he see his command being challenged, possibly to disappear forever?

An intelligently written script, by somebody who understands writing for television, would know where to put in speech instead of show-and-tell (the famous Roddenberry quote about "you never see what Spock can see on his readout, but rather he TELLS you what he can see" would ring true here). There's plenty of intelligent folk who could thrash out a workable story - and there's lots of people who'd volunteer to be extras!!

Kindest regards

Patrick

Ham Salad

Alphans
You know, I've seen postings that various people have made sets or replica set areas already...I 'm just surprised that no one has done this , at least on a limited basis.

The only one I've seen that used these resources was ' message from moonbase alpha'...and that was done in 1999!

Some very high concepts there, guys! My question to you would be: do you think Space:1999 fans would want a web series/fan-film so radically different from the original series? Or would they prefer to see something more traditional? In fact, should such different, high concepts still be called Space:1999 or would it be better to re-badge them and call them something entirely new?

As for our plans so far (things are moving quickly!), yes, we will definitely be making our own sets when needed. There'll at least be walls, computers, doors, etc. from Moonbase Alpha which we're going to faithfully be recreating.

Once we're a bit further forward with things, I'll start a dedicated thread here on Eagle Transporter.

Darrell

Ham Salad

Alphans
As for our plans so far (things are moving quickly!), yes, we will definitely be making our own sets when needed. There'll at least be walls, computers, doors, etc. from Moonbase Alpha which we're going to faithfully be recreating.

Once we're a bit further forward with things, I'll start a dedicated thread here on Eagle Transporter.

Darrell

Well, if you need a pudgy alien to appear on a screen...

Oh, and I have got my own uniform.

PeteQ

Alphans
Some very high concepts there, guys! My question to you would be: do you think Space:1999 fans would want a web series/fan-film so radically different from the original series? Or would they prefer to see something more traditional? In fact, should such different, high concepts still be called Space:1999 or would it be better to re-badge them and call them something entirely new?

Darrell

That's something you'll have to try to agree on :lol:

I think you could be original, but to paraphrase Joe Jennings on making The Wrath of Kahn: "If you're going to tell the story of Red Riding Hood the girl has to be accosted by a wolf and not by a goose. Once you've established your frame of reference you need to stick with it."