Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Aoshima Fireflash Build up

w8cmp

Alphans
Here's some pics of my latest project nearing completion (been doing this in between building Eagle Arms). It's the Aoshima Fireflash kit which I finally got around to building. Model went together well, and has been quite fun to do.

The first pic shows it next to the Aoshima diecast Zero X for scale...they're both supposed to be 1:350, but scale doesn't really seem to mean a lot when you compare different craft to each other from different episodes...

I added an interior based on the puppet set in to the wing cabins - better than having a void you could look straight through in the wings. And the blue colour is actually darker on the model than the photos seem to show...

The only thing I have to complete is painting all those passenger windows...

Chris

TonyB

Forum Supporter
It looks really good Chris, very nice.

Its a kit I want as well but have not gotten around to getting hold of up to this point.

What did you use for the interior of the wings BTW.....

w8cmp

Alphans
TonyB said:
It looks really good Chris, very nice.

Its a kit I want as well but have not gotten around to getting hold of up to this point.

What did you use for the interior of the wings BTW.....

Thanks Tony :D

I trimmed some thin plasticard to fit the cut outs in the wings, then cut up slivers of rod for the tables & chairs and stuck them down. The whole was painted in the gaudy colours of the puppet set and glued in to place. Then the clear window piece was fitted on to the wing on top of it all...

The kit came with nothing at all in the area, so you'd look straight through the windows to the ground below unless you blacked them out...

External colours were mixed from Humbrol enamels (silver, light blue and white) and sprayed through the airbrush. The blue areas were straightforward Humbrol Lufthansa Blue.

The decals were 'fun' as each letter of the airline name was a separate decal ! Also there was not quite enough white stripe to complete all of what was required...so there was some masking / painting of stripes and some stripes used from a Microscale sheet.

After a little panel weathering with some soft pencil the whole lot was sealed with Johnsons Klear (Future floor polish for you guys in the USA) to give it some sheen and protect the surface.

The model has interchangeable landing gear so it can also be shown in flight...but I prefer the gear down version. I replaced the overscale gear hinges with some brass rod bent to shape as the hinges were not really evident on the studio model.

I think that's about it...

Chris

saturnapollo

Alphans
Chris

Nice job indeed. I've sort of started mine but it put aside. I didn't realise each letter was a seperate decal. That's a pain!!! If it wasn't white I'd print my own.

Also good idea about the interior. I hadn't thought that far ahead.

Keith

Eagle

Commander Ret.

Damn this forum. :( I've been resisting buying the Aoshima version of this - but now....

I note that the Aoshima version looks slightly different from this in that the landing 'pods' on the wings are configured differently (why is there only one pod when it's in flying config?... i.e. is it 1 or 2 pods? :? ) http://www.hlj.com/product/AOS03541

[edit] Just realised it's not accurately painted so scratch that...

w8cmp

Alphans
In theory the landing gear pods open up in half to expose the landing gear...so in the landed version there are two halves with the landing gear protruding between them...

While in flight the halves are closed around the landing gear...and the wingtip folds up to match the rest of the wing.

David

Alphans
Hi,

Your Fireflash looks great! I'm currently waiting on mine being delivered (got it from ebay). I noticed that the seam between the two halfs of the fuselage is invisible on your model. What did you do to get rid of it? Putty?

Cheers,
David

w8cmp

Alphans
Thanks for the comments...

Lots of sanding, filling with Tamiya putty, re-sanding etc etc until I was happy. Then primer, and more light sanding until it was invisible.

It's fairly flat on top and bottom, so is not too difficult to get an invisible join.

Just wish I'd spent longer on the engine modules as I can see the join lines...

Chris

David

Alphans
Thanks for the kind welcome Tony42! :) and thanks for the tips Chris!

Speaking of fireflash, I thought I'd post up some pics of my very first fireflash model, which i made a few years ago when I was 14/15 (im now 18 ). It was built from solid blocks of balsa wood carved and filed to shape. I never really finished it, as you can see, and its condition has deteriorated a bit. Looking back, especially since it was my first model (besides a model kit concorde) I think I did really well to get a fairly accurate shape - I only had the TV screen and pause button to take my notes from!

David

Alphans
Here's some more...

A failed attempt at working landing gear...

Top...

Underside...

Fuselage

Not exactly studio qaulity, but i think i did quite well considering my age :D

David

Alphans
Woohoo! My Fireflash kit has just arrived in the post. My first annoying question... would you ever paint items while they are still on the plastic frame? Or do you build the entire model and then paint? Its always tricky to know the best order to do things.

saturnapollo

Alphans
Chris' TB2 looks very similar to the colour I used. Not a satin paint but Humbrol spray grass green. That was two or three years ago when Humbrol sprays had been mixed wrongly or something and the paint would only adhere to itself or plastic. Even once dried, white spirit would disolve it on contact (I know to my cost), so it was quickly sealed with a matt spray varnish. Not sure if you can get it anymore as Wonderland in Edinburgh refused to stock Humbrol spray paints after that!

Keith

Bishop

Alphans
That might be easier for me to get hold of that than Rover Apple Jack. I'll actually have to get the stuff mixed up "Its very old... haven't seen that stuff for years.."

Bishop

Alphans
I found it. Its Humbrol Satin 131 Mid green, and its as close as I'm going to get anywhere. Thanks for the heads up guys. Now all I need is the air brush. I shall invest in one and use canned air until I become very rich and can buy a compressor. I've only looked in one shop so far and that was enough for one heart attack!!!

HUNCH

Alphans
Man David, that color and weathering on TB2 looks fantastic!:yes: Do try and find the exact color you used, a lot of people will want to know. could it be what tony 42 said?
Humbrol satin 131 mid green? wonder if I can get that in the states. The way my luck with colors go...I'd have to guess no.

And a great build of the fireflash w8cmp! Always wanted to do that one, but the cost of the kit is keeping it just out of reach.:cry:

w8cmp

Alphans
Thanks for the comments guys...

The TB2 was definitely Humbrol satin 131, dull coated with Microscale flat and then with some graphite & oil paint weathering on top.