Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Atlantis Re-Entry

saturnapollo

Alphans
Finished the underside decals for the 1/72 shuttle kit and I updated my own kit. Appropriately, and purely coincidentally it was built as Atlantis some 9 years ago and in celebration of what was probabably Atlantis' last flight put together a couple of photos of the last re-entry.

OMS Deorbit burn

On glide slope

Keith

Last edited:

saturnapollo

Alphans
Thanks very much. It's the Revell 1/72 kit. I prefer that to the Monogram version and to my eye looks more accurate.

Keith

Thank you Keith! I’m also very impressed with those underside decals...they make all the difference, especially in such dramatic photos!

Transporter

Alphans
Amazing how real this all looks. Congrats to this marvellous job, Keith. Are you considering to sell these fantastic decals? Ron

Steve Gerard

Alphans
Thanks very much. It's the Revell 1/72 kit. I prefer that to the Monogram version and to my eye looks more accurate.

Keith

saturnapollo brilliant photos of SSO Atlantis.:clap: I agree with you Keith, having myself built both versions, that the SSO Revell kit elements of detail is more accurate than the SSO Monogram kit.:thumbup:

saturnapollo

Alphans
Thanks very much chaps. Yes these are available to order but they are expensive as they basicly take up two A4's worth of decal paper and Epson ink is notoriously expensive. I wasn't really wanting to do them but some folks on the Space Modellers group kept harping on about 1/72 after I did them in 1/144. Being 4 times as expensive I thought would put people off and it has for some folk. Cost would be £40 plus £2.50 UK post and packing or RoW £3.50 plus £2 Paypal charges.

Despite me saying that although 1/72 is double the scale it is four times the area, I think some don't really realise that.

I was persuaded to do them in two different versions - Monogram and Revell (because most folk in the US have the Monogram one), and that's when I had confirmed what I always thought - that the Monogram kit is less than accurate. Mapping the photo of the real thing onto the Revell kit was relatively easy, but not much fitted when I came to do the Monogram ones and some tinkering and distorting was needed to fix the inaccurate shape.

Keith

w8cmp

Alphans
Ooohhh...might need to save up then. A little 'poor' right now, but the price is completely understandable considering the size of the model.

saturnapollo

Alphans
The price isn't helped by having to use Games Workshop Purity Seal varnish at £8 a can! You can't get the decal fixing spray anymore (or at least import it), though it was even more expensive. Tried a load of different sprays and this is the only one which seems to do the same job.

Keith

JMChladek

Alphans
Nice work as always Keith. But shouldn't Atlantis be upside down (relative to the Earth's surface) for the deorbit burn? ;)

I wouldn't say the Monogram kit is less accurate then Revell's. They have their pros and cons. I like them both for different reasons. Indeed it is interesting to see how each company approached similar things on their models and just how different the resulting kits ended up.

saturnapollo

Alphans
But shouldn't Atlantis be upside down (relative to the Earth's surface) for the deorbit burn?

Actually I searched the web and books on the attitude relative to the Earth at the deorbit burn and all I could find out it was (obviously) tail pointing against the direction of travel and then the RCS orientate it nose up for entry. I don't suppose it matters where the Earth is, though the reason I was doing all that searching was that I too had something in my mind that it was upside down, though not sure where that thought came from. Perhaps the front of a book?

Anyway on the basis that you are probably right Jay, being something of a shuttle expert,:) I've redone the photo (still kinda like the first one).

Keith

Last edited:

Steve Gerard

Alphans
saturnapollo, all of your SSO Revell kit photos here are brilliant.:thumbup: They look so very real ...like the actual SSO.:O

saturnapollo

Alphans
Thanks very much guys. No I hadn't thought about producing a calendar:)

Still searching to see which of the deorbit burn photos is technically correct!

Keith

Update: Eventually found evidence which proves the orbiter is usually upside down. I will delete the original photo and replace it with the proper one.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Jay!

Last edited:

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Amazing from any angle....

These images are truly breath taking - wonderful stuff mate thanks so much for sharing :thumbup:

Cap'n

Alex Dumas

Alphans
Keith, this is soooooo stunning! It looks just like the real thing :O

You should commercialize your decals (and your modelling skills ;))

Last edited: