Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

ATV Adverts Anyone?

johnnybear

Alphans
I have been reading the excellent Destination:Moonbase Alpha this morning when it suddenly hit me,there isn't any references to the ATV Adverts which were screened during 1976 for season two. Now,when I bought
the series two boxset back in 2004 I fully expected to see them on there but alas no. Does anyone here remember them? I only saw two of them as I recall but there could have been more...! One had Martin Landau introducing himself and then unveiling this weeks exciting episode of space 1999,which I think was Brian The Brain. Then a few weeks later Nick Tate did the same and introduced scenes from the extremely exciting Mark of Archanon. Both men were dressed in their usual Moonbase Alpha costumes and were both working at their usual Alpha stations. Do I have any takers...?
JB:-/

martin

Alphans
They were seen on US stations, and in the UK on ATV Midlands only. The other UK regions were all over the place, and don't seem to have run them.

They are on the US year 2 DVDs (set 6, volume 12, New Adam New Eve etc).

Pictures here:
http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/main/epguide/ty2promonext.html

The Carlton set did have the longer Metamorph intro (on the last disc), which was widely seen in the US In one version, Barbara says "Coming to you soon, on ATV Birmingham." I've never heard reports of this one outside the Midlands either, but versions also exist for LWT, Yorkshire and "ITV".

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/main/epguide/ty2promo.html

johnnybear

Alphans
Martin,do you know which episodes the promos were intended for? My old brain is a little hazy on them and I only know for sure that I saw Landau and Tate. One moment of humanity comes to mind or were they made with the current episode put into slot after? That would make sense...
JB:yes:

martin

Alphans
Martin,do you know which episodes the promos were intended for? My old brain is a little hazy on them and I only know for sure that I saw Landau and Tate. One moment of humanity comes to mind or were they made with the current episode put into slot after? That would make sense...
JB:yes:

They were generic- not for specific episodes. The TV stations could run them before a clip of next week's episode no matter what it was. In practice, that was probably the first episodes of the series.

StrakersWig

Alphans
I definitely remember seeing a promo with Landau speaking to camera on ATV Midlands before the second series started - a general intro explaining that there's been a few changes etc.

The funny thing is I also have a hazy memory of a promo done for UFO's first run with Ed Bishop showing a boardroom full of bigwigs a photo of a UFO flying over a cityscape and proclaiming "This... is a UFO" or something along those lines. I'd always assumed it was part of Confetti Check AOK during the UN scenes but when I finally saw the episode, that bit wasn't featured.