Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Blakes 7 K47 Plague Ship

MangaMax

Alphans
So, third time lucky!
Twice before, i've had a go at making this, the first type of Wanderer Class ship seen on the show, being inspired by the builds and kit detective work on show in these very pages.
First time, i gave up after getting two of the Shuttle kits, after realising just how bulky the ship would be.
Second time, i made the mistake of buying the cheaper Revell version, which didn't work as the parts were same but different.
Anyway, here i go again, with all four tanks nabbed.
I'm going to be following Fallingstars build for info, but there's some areas on it that weren't discussed, so i'm hoping you lovely folk will be able to help me out. Hopefully!212757982_10158353307286104_3621309214188846018_n.jpg

MangaMax

Alphans
So, this cone affair at the back. Do we know if it was an EMA cone, as suggested in Fallingstar's build thread?
Only, i'm sure a cone i've got is from EMA but it doesn't have the cut ridging on the inside as mentioned there.

DSC00487.JPG

silverfox

Alphans
I thought the EMA cones were ridged inside like that so you could fit different diameters of pipe etc into them?
Doesn't sound like what you have is from EMA

MangaMax

Alphans
Yeah, that's what was shown on Fallingstars thread. I'm just about to do an EMA order and will buy one and see

MangaMax

Alphans
Hey folks, counting on your vast modelling experience to help me out here please?
I'm having trouble identifying this piece circled in red.
People have suggested wheel arches for the Airfix Recovery/Refueling sets, but they would be far too small.
Others say a plumbing connector but, if you look at the broken one, its far too thin. And, besides, it wouldn't smash like that. But a kit part would.
I'm pretty sure its a wheel arch, but 1/35th, probably Tamiya.
Or maybe as big as 1/24th - i know Mat used a couple of pieces from an AMT Peterbilt truck on another model, so they could have been laying around.
Anyone got any clues?

arch.jpg

Do you know how big it is? It reminds me of the open end of a marker pen cut in half. That would be just over half an inch across. I used lids like that in a modelling project a few years ago to make the cannon on a 40k Imperial Guard Shadowsword but now I can't find that exact sort of lid again. I'll try to upload a picture of the lid later on to show what I mean.

Here's a photo of the pen used for the cannon barrel. Notice the pattern on the red band. This is at the very base of the cap.volcanocannon-pen.jpg

MangaMax

Alphans
That's not a bad match. But, the one i'm after is about an inch across. And, the fact that the edge curves down into a lip, makes me think more and more its a wheel arch. Ta for the suggestion though!

MangaMax

Alphans
First part is done, the front radar dish. For it, Mat built the one straight from the box of the Airfix Lunar Module, then put the tripod from a second kit onto the dish, then extended the rod. I'm guessing to hide its origins and make it more science fictiony.

222729973_6035346613173106_3708298057589002543_n.jpg

Nice to see you starting it again Manga. I haven't posted on here much lately because to be honest apart from you Silverfox and 1 or 2 others there's not much interaction on here anymore [ only you 2 posted comments on my Wanderer in the end ].

Anyway as for the cone at the rear it could be an EMA cone but I don't know for sure [ I just used the Saturn V part ] and the parts circled in red again don't know. I used some spares from my spares box but unfortunately I'm not sure what they were. They could have been wheel parts and I cut them in half and added tiny little plastic strips to simulate the ridges.

MangaMax

Alphans
Cheers for getting back to me, Fallingstar!
Yeah, i agree with you - i miss the old days of this forum, where i could gurantee a few threads to read every day while i had my breakfast. But, both me and my friend Mark (who's doing the Pursuit Ship build) will be posting regularly from now on.
Ta for the pointers. Since i posted those questions, i've realised that it's not an EMA cone, its a kit part, source unknown. So i'm making my own.
And those circled shapes look to be 1/35th wheel arches but, again, unknown. Some scratchbuilding them too.
Keep a look out for updates!

MangaMax

Alphans
Latest bit of progress - these rounded shapes with the ribbing are still unidentified, so i've made my own buy cutting halves of my remaining Space Shuttle external rockets to size, and then adding the ribbing using Half Rod:

228052505_10158398892386104_4188999140524583611_n.jpg

Cheers for getting back to me, Fallingstar!
Yeah, i agree with you - i miss the old days of this forum, where i could gurantee a few threads to read every day while i had my breakfast. But, both me and my friend Mark (who's doing the Pursuit Ship build) will be posting regularly from now on.
Ta for the pointers. Since i posted those questions, i've realised that it's not an EMA cone, its a kit part, source unknown. So i'm making my own.
And those circled shapes look to be 1/35th wheel arches but, again, unknown. Some scratchbuilding them too.
Keep a look out for updates!

I don't know where everyone's gone [ probably over to bloody Facebook ]. Can't understand why anyone would prefer to post over on there instead of a proper site like this but still it's up to them. I can't think what that cone could be unless it's part of some other type of rocket.

Latest bit of progress - these rounded shapes with the ribbing are still unidentified, so i've made my own buy cutting halves of my remaining Space Shuttle external rockets to size, and then adding the ribbing using Half Rod:

View attachment 28459

Good idea. Looks similar to mine. Like I said in my build the ship is a bit vague in parts anyway so even though it took longer than I expected it would have taken longer if I'd tried to make everything exact to the original miniature. And of course we don't know what some of the original parts are anyway.

MangaMax

Alphans
A couple of updates for today.
First, this little piece that goes to the left of the engine bells has been identified as a piece of the turret from an Airfix 1/72nd Tiger 1 tank kit. I had hoped that the wheels would be the ones i needed to put on the cone, but they're a tad small.
Got a 1/48th version on the way, which hopefully will be a match.
Also, i used Blu Tac to put the parts on the top of the neck to see if the acrylic tube i'd been given would need to be shortened. Nope, its exactly right! I think that;s because it's a 2 foot tube and, back in the 70's we were still Imperial and the stuff would be in foot lengths

230325199_6082996398408127_5845226676497543985_n.jpg

A couple of updates for today.
First, this little piece that goes to the left of the engine bells has been identified as a piece of the turret from an Airfix 1/72nd Tiger 1 tank kit. I had hoped that the wheels would be the ones i needed to put on the cone, but they're a tad small.
Got a 1/48th version on the way, which hopefully will be a match.
Also, i used Blu Tac to put the parts on the top of the neck to see if the acrylic tube i'd been given would need to be shortened. Nope, its exactly right! I think that;s because it's a 2 foot tube and, back in the 70's we were still Imperial and the stuff would be in foot lengths

View attachment 28465

So that's what that part is plus the Tiger wheels. Seems obvious now but didn't think of it. I might add those parts to mine at a later date though I don't mind the shuttle wheels.

MangaMax

Alphans
That's the command ball done. I'm not going to attach it as it'd be difficult to mask up the windows, then paint, then remove the masking then add the pin stripes.
So I'm leaving it off and will paint separately and only attach it right before weathering.

237352710_6150277565013343_7243307745742927166_n.jpg

MangaMax

Alphans
After more than 10 years planning to build the K47 Plague Ship, it's really weird to finally reach the paint application stage.

240706837_6201210996586666_7407734499729569247_n.jpg