Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Blakes 7 K47 Plague Ship

MangaMax

Alphans
The original studio model of the Plague Ship was only properly detailed on its left side.
That's of course following in the tradition of filming miniatures of "if it's only going to be seen on one side, don't waste time and money doing the other".
But, now I've got two tanks on, there may be another reason.
With these tanks on, the Ship naturally rests at just the right angle to start applying further detail.
When I've put the other two one, the sides are going to be vertical and harder to put things on the right side.

240816199_6205666259474473_2833558373856559734_n.jpg

MangaMax

Alphans
So, let's have a think about the K-47 ship. I've always assumed its quite small, going by the size of those command ball windows.
The clues were given in "Killer" bear that out:
We learn it went missing 700 years ago, in the region of 61 Cygni and only had a 3 man crew. Even then, being inside one was like "living in a pickle barrel" as Blake put it.
I'm guessing the cramped 3 man conditions of the Saturn V was still prevalent in thoughts on space travel?
Anyway, other clues are:
When the rescue team arrive on board, the quickly search the power deck before moving up to the forward compartment and then on to the control room.
All of which took just minutes.
And, the Ship lands in a docking bay on the base.
All of which make me think it's a small ship.
With the model then being about 1/100th scale I'd think.
But look. Halfway along. A ladder. I'm assuming it's there to be a ladder and, if so, it makes the ship considerably bigger - that's from EMA and 1/200th scale.
Which would make the windows up front less Eagle Transporter size ones, but more huge observatory type ones.

238596538_6206764449364654_5536924406825949473_n.jpg

The original studio model of the Plague Ship was only properly detailed on its left side.
That's of course following in the tradition of filming miniatures of "if it's only going to be seen on one side, don't waste time and money doing the other".
But, now I've got two tanks on, there may be another reason.
With these tanks on, the Ship naturally rests at just the right angle to start applying further detail.
When I've put the other two one, the sides are going to be vertical and harder to put things on the right side.

View attachment 28480

Shaping up well. I've detailed the other side but haven't got round to posting pics of it yet. I think it'll be a good idea for you to finish yours though and then see how both of ours compare and to see if you've had a different approach to my version of the blank side.

So, let's have a think about the K-47 ship. I've always assumed its quite small, going by the size of those command ball windows.
The clues were given in "Killer" bear that out:
We learn it went missing 700 years ago, in the region of 61 Cygni and only had a 3 man crew. Even then, being inside one was like "living in a pickle barrel" as Blake put it.
I'm guessing the cramped 3 man conditions of the Saturn V was still prevalent in thoughts on space travel?
Anyway, other clues are:
When the rescue team arrive on board, the quickly search the power deck before moving up to the forward compartment and then on to the control room.
All of which took just minutes.
And, the Ship lands in a docking bay on the base.
All of which make me think it's a small ship.
With the model then being about 1/100th scale I'd think.
But look. Halfway along. A ladder. I'm assuming it's there to be a ladder and, if so, it makes the ship considerably bigger - that's from EMA and 1/200th scale.
Which would make the windows up front less Eagle Transporter size ones, but more huge observatory type ones.

View attachment 28481

I wouldn't go too much on the size of the EMA ladder though as that might not even supposed to be a ladder [ the person who built the original probably just got a load of parts and added them so they looked good and it pretty much leads nowhere anyway ]. I think it's a fairly small or say maybe a 100ft long ship and larger than an eagle though.

What kits did you get the wheel axle and the parts next to it from? The part with 2 cylinders looks like it could be from a Spifire cockpit?

MangaMax

Alphans
The wheel axle i've had in my bits box for ages - i bought some 1/24th car kits back when i was going through a Mad Max car conversion phase. The two cylinder part i couldn't track down, so i got two parts from the Space Shuttle (think they were from the hyrdalics of the landing gear, cut them down then added a small Plasticard rectangle blanking plate on the front

The wheel axle i've had in my bits box for ages - i bought some 1/24th car kits back when i was going through a Mad Max car conversion phase. The two cylinder part i couldn't track down, so i got two parts from the Space Shuttle (think they were from the hyrdalics of the landing gear, cut them down then added a small Plasticard rectangle blanking plate on the front
Yes some of the parts like the original axle part remain a mystery as none of us new in my Wanderer thread. Are you sure it's 1/24th though? It looks a lot smaller to me.

MangaMax

Alphans
So that's the command ball attached and stripes done. Just a couple more bits of colour to put on, then I've got to figure out the weathering for a ship that's been lost in space for 700 years.

241731286_6286991408008624_2064659103199903345_n.jpg