Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Building the Aoshima Thunderbird One

Knight1966

Alphans
LOL LOL LOL Chris,

Ever type something and hit "send" only to later read it back and think "Oh Sh*t!"

Seriously though, it's just because every project I start recently I find Knight1996 already has one the same "on the go" and his are always many times larger! If I decided to build a one-to-one scale Eagle it would be no surprise to me to discover he already had a one-to-one Alpha Moonbase partly constructed in some secret location somewhere just ready to out-do me :)

Slate

B@#!*@ks you discovered the moonbase!!! how? I never said a word, don't repeat anything they'll all want to visit (pics soon) :) :p

Last edited:
Phil's is the more accurate of the three. The middle one repeats the error of making the forward fuselage fatter than the rest and the nose cone on the bottom one is too wide at the base.

I went through what I had available that depicted the thinner style lettering on TB-1, and that I could scan without damaging the books that the blueprints were in.

The one in the middle was from the box of a small scale Bandai die-cast of TB-1 - I've compared it to the Electronic Matchbox TB-1 (which was a rebranding of a Bandai model, I feel sure) and the details match up. I included it because I thought it might be of interest -I haven't seen it posted elsewhere. If anyone has mode details about it, please post them.

The bottom one was from a Japanese "Best Book" from 1992.

If anyone is interested in the full article that accompanied Phil's blueprints, let me know and I'll scan the rest of it. It basically is an article about building a model carving the parts out of wood - instead of using them as masters to vacuform or make molds to cast fiberglass shells, the author glued the wood parts together. He added some plexiglass parts, sealed the whole thing up with a lot of primer and had custom made dry-transfer decals printed up. Dave Sisson's TB-1 tutorial on his site is probably more useful.

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
Been a long time since I posted in this thread, but after having this TB1 sat on the "almost finished" shelf for over 18 months I finally bit the bullet and finished it off. I had been awaiting on getting the correct "Thunderbird" font lettering made up professionally but every option I looked into wasn't cost effective enough to warrant doing so on such a small scale model. In the end I used the decals that came with the kit. A few photos attached. I didn't really apply much weathering to this and nothing looked right. The MIG powders I used on my Thunderbird Three model just didn't look correct on this one.

Slate

Last edited:

HUNCH

Alphans
Its been a week Slate. Tell me, have the TB's fallen off the engine or is that just MY luck?:lol:
Now if Someone can tell me how to make 'em stick again?:think:
Jim

Slate Mcleod

Alphans
Its been a week Slate. Tell me, have the TB's fallen off the engine or is that just MY luck?:lol:
Now if Someone can tell me how to make 'em stick again?:think:
Jim

Mine has been fine Jim, but I did seal all the decals in with a satin clear coat. If you sealed them they really shouldn't come off...ever (!) To make them stick again i would try a little PVA glue perhaps diluted with water. You only need to get them in position again so you can add a clear coat then they should be fine.

Slate