Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Calling International Rescue "Puppet sized TB5 receiver"

Captainplaid

Alphans
Hi folk's,
Like many of you i am alway's amazed when you discover what Gerry Anderson's Prop Department actually used? When it came time to build and detail it's superb vehicles and those detailed little sets. As a Puppet lover also ( let's just keep that bit of info here please) i am alway's looking to see if i can figure out what was used on the puppet scaled sets?

In 2004 i lucked out and aquired a superb little gem from the 60's that was indeed used in several Thunderbird episodes and it's puppet sets. Now before ya all get really excited, there is no way to prove that this was thee one they actually used in filming the show? In fact i am sure it was not as it is near mint condition. But it is what the Prop Dept. went out and purchased and used to detail those Puppet sets with? It is a FAB little portable 4-transistor real to real tape recorder made in Japan in the early 60's. It's labeled "Homey" and Japan on the back, i have put together a grouping of nine jpgs to show you how it looks and it's measurements.
Here is the link to the pics: http://public.fotki.com/custerclan/thunderbirds-real-t/

It's the very same little recorder that is activated on TB 5 when an emergency call is received. I intend on building the entire free standing receiver as seen on the TB 5 puppet set.
(Questions)
* I could really use your help here folk's, with screen grabs of any views you can think of that would help me map out it's size and shape?
*Plus if you recognize any of the detail bits used inconjunction with the player to detail the receiver?
* I am thinking of building it so that it could be molded for those whom may want to display it with there replica TB Puppet's??? That is if there is any interest out there???

Well i hope you folk's can come to my rescue with ideas as to detail parts used plus images and advice?
Best of regards,
Michael.

Bishop

Alphans
How cool is that. I will be very interested to see what people come up with. Thanks for posting this.

Captainplaid

Alphans
Hi guy's thanks for the kind thoughts and your support, we have such an amazing group of people here. I am really hoping i can get advise and ideas to move forward on the build? The heart of this free standing console from the TB 5 set is this rare 60's player.

From it we should be able to figure out some of it's dims??? I have no way of doing screen grabs with my old mac and i know members here who have done brilliant work with grabs. I am also hoping some folk's might see parts used i have no clue about.

Finger's crossed in the end we will have IR up and ready to take new calls for rescue?
Best of regards Michael C.W. Mangold

Bishop

Alphans
If you hunt through a couple of the threads about kit parts used in the sets you'll find there are already some here... hopefully someone will be able to post a bunch in this thread too...it will save a whole host of searching on a Sunday afternoon.

Bishop

Alphans
I just typed Kit parts used in the Thunderbirds into the search engine and the threads list very happily. Usually they don't. That should make it a little easier to find the shots.

Captainplaid

Alphans
Hey ya Hunch & Tony,
Thanks for the advice and help your right the pic helped plus Tony your right the work search brought up lots of links. It looks like this too went threw several color and detail changes along the way? I was really hop'n more folk's would help out but i guess this is a boring subject? I shall update you as i go along which will be alot slower.

Sad Mikey

Captainplaid

Alphans
I would imagine most of you are like me a "Data squirrel" i save ever tiny picture or angle of a Anderson vehicle or puppet that may someday be useful. Going threw my hoard of papers i found this nice image of the TB5 receiver. It's not clear but it appears just like the TB craft it too has had a few makeovers ie. color and details? The panel lights are the same ones used on the SPV & the TB & Scarlet sets. I think our Mr. Paul Gray owns an original i shall see if i can get a casting. As these are no longer made and i have never seen any show up on either Ebay's .com/U.K. I shall have to make some with the casting?
[/URL]

yarvelling

Alphans
Do you have a copy of 'Atlantic Inferno' on DVD? There's a lot of good camera views that cover the section of TB-5's radios that you want. If so, can you get screengrabs? If not, let me know and I'll see what I can do over the weekend.... :)
Steve.

Captainplaid

Alphans
Hi Steve,
Nice to meet you thank you for the tip," Atlantic Inferno" showing views of the TB5 reciever. I have a G4 cube mac which is unable to update thus i can't get screen capture features grrrrrrrr. I know i know buy a new one if i didn't have so many projects on the go i could afford it he he. It sure would make my scratch building dreams sooo much easier and i wouldn't be a bother to all of you who can.
Steve i would appreciate any images you think would be useful to figure this beastie out?
All the best from michael

paulcarson

Alphans
Its a great project Mike and I'm looking forward to seeing more . I'll bet you have quite the treasure trove at home :thumbup:

Mike Delamar

Alphans
sorry its taken so long to reply

I cant really see anything that could be identified, apart from the chrome wheels on the sprues, Im wondering what the big dome is from.

looks like theyve used aluminium angle strip for some of the decoration.
be good if we could find out what the 2 gold painted grill lids are from.

not much use but can spot lots of chrome revell custom car parts on the main section, Ive often wondered what the gold painted grills where from.

and one in FAB1 lady p turning it on :)

paulcarson

Alphans
Just a quick thought. The gold painted grills could be from drain covers ? You know the type you would use outside your home ?

The gold painted grill covers- the indentations look pretty uniform, so i'm guessing that they could be from a sheet of metal formed this way. I have seen some in my local "Homebase" that is very similar . ( For those outside the UK , Homebase is a do it yourself type store/ garden items/ home improvement items / hardware store )

Captainplaid

Alphans
First of all i want to thank you all for your support and advice on this project. "Yarvelling"- Steve gave a great steer for "Atlantic Inferno". It's amazing but you actually see a typical Anderson thing. In the begining of the episode the details and colors are what our talented Mr. Mike Delamar got for us. My stetson is off to you good Sir for your time and the support in getting these. Toward the middle or near the end of the show the entire TB control surfaces take on a military drab green. Plus the actual details on the reciever change? I put together a side by side look at both plus if you have time scan the Atlantic Inferno episode and take a looksee. I would love a collective thought on which you would go with. I am kinda aim'n for the military look more dramatic but that is just me? Paulcarson i think your onto something with the drain covers idea. I am sure i will have to make them by scaling them from the old player. It's a real learning curve thinking of different names we give items or call thing's from North America to the British Isles. Gents i need your keen advice on the top part of this reciever they use what i call a vintage voltmeter. They use this over and over all the puppet sets. You can see one just to the left of the reciever as well. I have been try'n my babble fish to rethink what it maybe called on your side of the pond. If you spot this configuration at a bootsale or parts store or on Ebay do let me know i will snap it up no matter the cost seriously? In the end i intend to mold it so we all have for future projects.
Michael

yarvelling

Alphans
Ha ha! That's amazing...I'd only watched that Episode the night prior to my making my post here, and HADN'T noticed that the control panel in question had changed colour/design!!!!!!!! :oops:
Those aren't even minor changes either; the deck of the tape deck goes from silver to gloss black! The light clusters change colour, position and quantity, and the whole console changes colour and the sprue decorations are completely different!!!
Amazing what they managed to 'get away with' :lol: Just shows how they still used old stock footage shot early in the production, even that late in!
Steve.