Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Canadian 44" Eagle Builders - Brass question

Alpha149

Forum Supporter
Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend a non-K&S Brass supplier here in Canada? I am in the Toronto area if that helps. Most hobby shops (they are becoming an endangered species!) only stock K&S. And from what I am reading...not strong enough.

Thanks,

Evan

Last edited by a moderator:

NeoGoglu

Alphans
Hi !

I got my thick walled brass from

onlinemetals dot com

I'm not at home at this moment, i'll try to let you know soon
what were the exact specs i got.

I must also add that it nearly cost me an arm for the shipping
and customs, in fact, all together it was twice the price of the brass
itself.

Got my thin walled brass from k & S, i'm using both.
Thick walled brass for 'strategic support' and the thin one
for the rest. I'm doing this only because i don't want it
to be too heavy. I want to put air canisters in the
passenger pod and hang the eagle by wires like the studio one.

I'll try to give you more details before monday.

Andre

Alpha149

Forum Supporter
Thanks Guys,

I have been in contact with a member here and will probably sub the spine ans cages out.

Regards,

Evan

eagle2010

Alphans
What wall thickness is best? I went to onlinemetals and saw several choices for .25". They were .03, .042. and .065. Will any of these be strong enough and can I use thinner walls for other areas to help cut cost?

by using the thick walled brass you have a greater area of weld making the frame stronger and you are doing an exact replica going with other materials would not make it a replica it would make it a lookalike

eagle2010

Alphans
I saw these brass quantities in another post (brass packs) and was wandering if the amounts are correct for each size:

24 Feet of 3/16 inch O/D brass tubing with 22swg wall thickness (CZ126)
72 Feet of ¼ inch O/D brass tubing with 22swg wall thickness (CZ126)
12 Feet of 5/16 inch O/D brass tubing with 22SWG wall thickness (CZ126)

eagle2010

Alphans
Im going to order all the brass at once and I know the quantities listed above come to 108' of tubing. I remember hearing in the David Sisson video he said over 100' of brass tubing and "rod". Where are the solid rods being used?

DX-SFX

Alphans
The figures quoted for the brass packs include aprox 10% extra on all sizes to allow for 'learning curve'. Better a bit extra than held up for want of three inches of a size you can only buy in bulk.

DX-SFX

Alphans
The brass packs only represented the framework because so many other options for landing gear were available. The longerons of the spine (the long lengths running fore and aft) are rod and the two vertical bars directly behind the CM because they need to be shaped for the CM to sit into them.

eagle2010

Alphans
Please....what size are the longeron rods and the two vertical bars? and how much material should i order for these?

eagle2010

Alphans
yes the plans are. Mine are in the mail. Im just trying to get all the materials ahead of time so I can start as soon as they arrive.