Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Captain Scarlet and Godzilla

Sky1Driver

Alphans
As a big fan of the Godzilla films, one of my favorite spacecraft designs is of the Moonlight SY-3 that appeared in “Destroy All Monsters.” A number of years go, I was watching the episode “Renegade Rocket” and noticed a similarity between the VGR and the SY-3. Scarlet was televised in 1967 and DAM released in 1968. Gerry Anderson’s television programs were always very popular in Japan. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

I am posting a photo of a replica of the SY-3 with a screencap of the VGR.

Attachments

• SY3_VGR copy.jpg
    SY3_VGR copy.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 46

seamfiller

Alphans
I dunno - it's not outside the realms of possibility. But what I think is more likely is that both designs probably started life as F-111 kit. In the mid-late '60s swing-wing (sorry, variable geometry) were all the rage and the most notable example was the F-111. IMO, the shape of the fuselage of both very closely resemble the F-111.

Revell, Airfix and Aurora all had F-111 kits out at the time but would suggest the SY-3 may well have been the Aurora kit being 1:48 and larger.

Sky1Driver

Alphans
While I certainly agree with you on the swing wing design, what I meant was the overall design of both vehicles. Beside the variable geometry wings, the placement of the dorsal and ventral stabilizers mid-fuselage are unusual (attached is a screencap of the SY-3 in flight which I found on the Web) and proportions of the fuselage/wing size and shape/vertical and dorsal stabilizer size and location are pretty close.

The SY-3 miniatures were made of wood. At the time, the majority of FX miniatures in Japan were almost made entirely from scratch.

And I remember that Aurora F-111 kit. It was part of a line of very large plastic kits. Got the B-70, B-58, and the Black Widow night fighter. It's somewhere in a box up in the garage.

Attachments

• DAM SY-3 screencap.JPG
    DAM SY-3 screencap.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: