Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

China names first 'space walker'

cmdrkoenig67

Alphans
I'm really a bit out of the loop, but could this all be the beginnings of another big space race? What I mean is, perhaps the Chinese already have plans to go to the moon, maybe even have a base there (we really don't know what their plans are). Maybe we (NASA) have to step up our efforts? Perhaps these moves into space by China will urge other nations to try or maybe even urge NASA to get a move on?

I do know that the Shuttles are being retired and it's going to be several years before we have another servicable spacecraft....And plans are to possibly have a base on the moon by 2020?

I really wish there could be more of an international space co-op to get further into space, create a better space station and maybe even a permanent moonbase (a bit like Alpha)...Several nations working together could do things faster and possibly better than one (resources, money, etc...).

Perhaps I'm just being too optimistic.

Dana

I'm really a bit out of the loop, but could this all be the beginnings of another big space race? What I mean is, perhaps the Chinese already have plans to go to the moon, maybe even have a base there (we really don't know what their plans are). Maybe we (NASA) have to step up our efforts? Perhaps these moves into space by China will urge other nations to try or maybe even urge NASA to get a move on?

I do know that the Shuttles are being retired and it's going to be several years before we have another servicable spacecraft....And plans are to possibly have a base on the moon by 2020?

The Chinese are driven more by enterprise than by dreams of scientific prowess - most likely bet is they're hoping for a big share of the heavy-lift launcher market.

If they can't sell it, they won't make it - they're making their presence felt by their present program.

VTracy

Alphans

I really wish there could be more of an international space co-op to get further into space, create a better space station and maybe even a permanent moonbase (a bit like Alpha)...Several nations working together could do things faster and possibly better than one (resources, money, etc...).

Perhaps I'm just being too optimistic.

Dana

Problem is, we're so far in debt, we can't afford programs like this anymore. We owe about 2 trillion to the chinese already. See what they are doing with it?

Dr Kane

Alphans
The bit about him releasing a small satellite to video the EVA is interesting!
I thought so too. As is this:

'The Chinese EVA suit [Feitian], under development for 15 years, has been tested many times by astronauts in a vacuum chamber on Earth and during parabolic aircraft flights simulating 0g. But since the device is untested in space, China is expected to equip the second EVA astronaut with a proven Russian Orlan suit. Although in a vacuum environment, he will remain mostly in the depressurized airlock module, ready to rescue if necessary the crewmember in the Chinese suit, should it fail.'
- http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=awst&id=news/aw090808p2.xml