Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Cleaning up the weathering on the Shado Mobiles.

TonyB

Forum Supporter
Just a quick question to anyone who has cleaned up their PE Shado Mobles. What did you actually use to remove the camoflage, err sorry weathering on the Mobiles. :D

DX-SFX

Alphans
Don't bother with T-Cut. It takes far too long and I've now got a Mobile so shiny it wouldn't look out of place in a Rolls Royce showroom.

w8cmp

Alphans
I'm just trying to persuade Jim at JBOT to do us a set of replacement decals for these beasties...just sent him some scans of the models etc to illustrate the problem...

Had you all noticed that the numbers on the side are also too small a font compared to the studio versions ?

TonyB

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the info guy's, I plan on getting my three Mobiles cleaned up shortly.

I had wondered about using T-Cut, but ruled it out as an option for the same reason you mention Chris. BTW have any of you used a product called G10 from a company which I think is called Farclea (sp) or something like that. A friend of mine used to use it quite a bit on his military projects but I have not seem him around for a year or more, and I have never seen it for sale anywhere locally. The last bottle I saw was a Mustard yellow colour and was about the same size as a Fairy Liquid washing up liquid bottle, it is like T-Cut but from what I can remember is slightly less abrasive, although the drawback is that like T-Cut you can end up polishing the surface to a gloss finish.

The decal idea sounds really good Chris.

TonyB

Forum Supporter
Another quick question for Mark, on the PE Mobile you cleaned up, did you add additional paneling to the paintwork as well as touching up the decal's. I really need to pay more attention or focus on things a bit more. ;)

Eagle

Commander Ret.

Yup, it just looked a bit plain, so I did a few quick masks and whacked on varying combinations of Halfords' metallic 'Ford Cobalt Blue' 'Ford Stardust Silver'. Worked a treat although in retrospect I might have added a lighter panel or two...!

Emulating it in my image editor for the wallpaper was a little trickier! ;)

shadopilot

Alphans
shado weathering

On the version that is LIGHTLY weathered a pencil eraser works. Just keep rubbing and be carefull on the white lines.

E

Eagle-1

Did anybody ever make any new decals for these?

If not, and anyone's interested, I can make some for everyone?

Rob.

Kevin

Alphans
I'd like to second the call for replacement decals.

I had avoided the PE mobiles because of the crappy weathering. I have most of their other models though. I finally caved in on hearing that they are abandoning the smaller scale models altogether. :(

I just got a Mobile 2 in an eBay auction. I think it's an original grimy one rather than the newer light weathering. It will need to be "fixed".

w8cmp

Alphans
Eagle-1 said:
Did anybody ever make any new decals for these?

If not, and anyone's interested, I can make some for everyone?

Rob.

J Bot was working on a set, and we had discussed / exchanged tons of reference material for the model.

He has them listed on his site, but there is no price or detail of the set so I am not sure he actually designed them yet...

saturnapollo

Alphans
I'd certainly be up for three sets (Control, 1 and 2 and maybe 3). As only the paintwork ruins my enjoyment of these models.

I wish Derek Meddings hadn't used so much white Letraset on the vehicles as that is the only colour I can't do in decal form on the Epson :)!!! Anything else I can replace!

Keith

Bishop

Alphans
My PE Shado Mobile (1) has arrived today, and already I have pulled it apart to start trying to get the mud off. Sadly its sort of brown with some metallic blue weathering :( That said, its a lovely model. While it is apart I also plan to deal with the "Clone brothers" ( :lol: I love that description..I can't remember which forum member used it) I would like to take them out altogether, but I think they and the steering levers are a single mold.

I'm going to try some of the suggestions to get rid of the mud..if anyone else has any ideas I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

Bishop

Alphans
I didn't have much success with toothpaste, the brown being thicker than the blue on this example, but a think called "Jif", a cream cleanser has worked wonders. So of it was so thick I had to resort to super fine wet and dry paper. I have also started painting just a few panels with Polaris blue metal...Australian made touch up paint by Power Plus. This will get a wash of black to darken it slightly.

The crews' hands have been prised from the steering levers, but their feet are welded to the floor...such is life.

The mobile looks so much better without the mud its not funny.

AceMartini

Alphans
I have three Konami Shado mobiles, but they somehow don't look nearly dirty enough. :) I'm working at detailing them correctly. Anyone make replacement decals for these?

Bishop

Alphans
Here's the thread I did ages ago. I hadn't noticed that there were a few extra comments.

http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2733

The photo is terrible, but it gives a rough idea...I added some different coloured panels to break it up. Eagle's picture above gives a good idea of how good it can look.

They are a very nice little unit, though I wonder a little about the the front below the cabin as far as accuracy is concerned. Very pleased with mine though... now that I've adjusted the clone brothers (one of us came up with that name...I love it).