Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Cleaning up the weathering on the Shado Mobiles.

Bishop

Alphans
:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Actually I had no interest in them either until I fell in love with them and all the UFO gear while watching UFO for the first time. I think the wheels on the PE mobile might ride just a tad high because of the spring in the suspension, the front shows it the most. The wheels are probably best left brown... what I've done, but the could be weathered up to make them look top notch. I love the PE mobile's weight and size... plenty of metal in them, which adds a sense of presence I can't describe.

I'll post some pictures of what I've done with the clone bros just to show how easy it is to tweak them even without a repaint. The thing that helps a lot is that the cabin is well shaded so you can get away with a lot.

Bishop

Alphans
Its amazing what close ups will reveal. I still need to paint where the incisions have been made and fix that black hair a little. You can't tell when you look at it assembled. I also need to do a little bit more on the mud on the cabin roof, but again you can't tell with the naked eye. However here they are.

Bishop

Alphans
That's the point, it is. With the acetone it literally rubs off. No effort at all. In fact hard to get corner bits can be done with a paint brush, and the rest with a soft rag. You simply have to be careful with the decals. It will be much easier with replacements. The any brown left in place looks good as weathering.

saturnapollo

Alphans
Very impressive work with the acetate. What an improvement. You have to wonder why anyone would think that adding all that brown would improve the model.

If the decals are forthcoming, I think I will be following your lead!

Keith

Bishop

Alphans
I had the chance of picking up one more Mobile for about 3/5s the normal cost so I grabbed it. It is a second Control vehicle so I have removed the diecast antenna base from the roof and have filled in the holes. I have removed "control" from the right hand side along with the dirt and have added the number 3. This gives me a "complete set" for UFO hunting ops. All I need now is the trucks and or the transport plane and I'm set. I shall post photos when the roof is done. The base paint is down and now needs weathering. I wondered about having 4 mobiles :-/, but remembered that I have 6 eagles and felt better. :yes:

Bishop

Alphans
Two photos, basically finished. I shall post a photo of them all on patrol in Dragon's Domain.

Clone brothers Mk IV

And the redone roof. This needed filling and painting of the whole roof then blending in with the rest of the paint through weathering. Plus the clean up with the Acetone

Howard

Forum Supporter
Tony those guys look great!
Your hard work has paid off and really brought the replica to life.
Excellent stuff indeed.

StrakersWig

Alphans
...I think the wheels on the PE mobile might ride just a tad high because of the spring in the suspension, the front shows it the most.

Is it feasible to lower the suspension? That feature irks me as much as the weathering. It sits way too high at the front.

Bishop

Alphans
Agreed, it annoys me too. I haven't time this coming week, but I'd like to go in and have a good look at how its set up. Replacing the spring with fairly dense foam matting (camping mats for sleeping on etc) might actually do the job. You would still get the "suspension" but at a better height.

Ok I lied, I tried it this afternoon and the job is easy to do. The suspension is basically a hollow rectangular block with two pieces of wire (one each side) that act as the "springs". These are easily removed, and can be easily reinstalled if you don't like the outcome. I have then used a foam sheet about 3.5mm thick and doubled it over. This needs to be cut the length of the block and packed into it with the appropriate holes cut in it for the screw holes. This week I shall leave it and see what things look like when foam settles under the weight of the body. It looks great so far, dropping the vehicle about 4mm onto the chassis. It may need a third layer if things drop too much

Last edited:

Bishop

Alphans
After trying the foam and not being happy with it I went for 3mm leather strip cut from an old belt. This will last a lot longer and gives the perfect height while providing a smooth ride.

The photos show the replacement strip and the wire after being removed from the rectangular block.

The third shows the difference after the suspension has been adjusted. The front one is original and the rear one has been changed. The 4 took about half an hour to change over once the leather strips had been cut to fit.

My wife has pointed out (with much laughter) that I have inadvertently photographed the wire suspension and block on top of one of her biology prac examination sheets from her biol subject. :oops: Please ignore

Last edited:

StrakersWig

Alphans
Superb, it looks a treat now. Thanks for that Tony42.
A simple but effective solution.
I'll give it a go on my Control Mobile when time allows.

ps: do you or anybody else know how big the larger scale Iconic Replicas mobile is??

gojira61

Forum Supporter
The Iconic Replicas web site says 14 inches.

Superb, it looks a treat now. Thanks for that Tony42.
A simple but effective solution.
I'll give it a go on my Control Mobile when time allows.

ps: do you or anybody else know how big the larger scale Iconic Replicas mobile is??

Bishop

Alphans
Well, the little PEs are good fun, but they're not what you would call 100% accurate, but we can easily live with them :thumbup: , but people would surely want to buy a decent replica of the show vehicles rather than a replica of the smaller PE model. Still, what would I know?

DARKVIEW

Forum Supporter
I started thinking about cleaning my new Shado Control Mobile and tried Acetone, so of which I happen to have. Wonderful stuff. Wipes the brown nonsense straight off. It will also remove the white quite happily so a set of decals is needed to do the perfect job, but with a few touch ups with the white (suitably weathered) and the mobiles look great. No major matching of base colours needs unless you wish, but as I said, a set of decals would make the job even easier.... not to be used on plastic.... so I haven't played with the wheels.

who sells the decals for PE shado control model? and what do you use to apply the Acetone with to remove that rubbish dirt on them, cotton buds ok? tissues?:think: ANYWAY heres the real thing... love the dirty window effect as it makes it more real

Last edited: