Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Command Center Set Replica

stiki

Alphans
Apologies if this has been posted before, but I just found this incredible video of a replica portion of Command Center on YouTube....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eui5HM_k9rg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eui5HM_k9rg[/ame]

Anyone know anything about this?
Ian

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Eagle Meets

Hiya Stiki,

I do yes.

There is a private meeting every year called an Eagle Meet, the 2011 event has just been run. It is for invited guests only. Usually there are some original props and fan built models from assorted projects. It's a closed event so unless you are invited.... I need to state that the organisation and running of this event has nothing to do with me or the forum. It was supported it in the past but not any longer.

The event is run by an ex member who resigned from the forum this year. There has been a fair amount of controversy surrounding this meeting. It used to be secret and very private with a hush hush and exclusion policy for fear of undesirables wanting to attend (whatever that meant). I did attend last year and the year before but decided to decline this years invitation as, quite frankly, I didn't agree with the closed door policy.

The 2009 event was reported in the SFFM magazine by Donald Suttie (RockwellCM) and caused a bit of upset behind the scenes. I am afraid I fell out with some of the organisers this year and don't like the exclusive policy they run, but it's their meeting....

We are planning to hold a forum meeting & exhibition next year it has been talked about a few times in the recent past and we certainly could do it if we had the support from members.

There is a good possibility there will be several meetings held over the next 12 months. One in particular proposed by Graham (FAB1) looks promising, more on that later as plans develop.

There is no reason why members who live in the local area to each other can't get together, some already do. If you add the location you live in to your details under the User CP (near top on the left of this screen) people will know if you are in the UK, USA, Europe or wherever and it will make life easier for invites. This is not a rule however just a suggestion if you want to organise something for yourselves.

I'll keep event's in mind and start to plan a little more seriously, feel free to publish if you attend any modelling group IPMS etc, or if you will be attending swap meets and see if you can hook up there.

As it happens the set board computer panels, desk and other items were made by Hilton Fitzsimmonds and Darryl Simmonds a couple friends and great model makers who work as a team. You can see Hilton with his cap and box in the video. Hilton has built some amazing replica model sets, like the TB1 launch bay and a radar tracking station from UFO I think, he has also made some of the Alpha buildings that were on show at Fanderson.

Cap'n

rockwellcm

Alphans
I think I should add, i was asked to do the article in SFFM, i originally attended to take pictures for my own use.
The person, who was to do the requested article, was unable to do so due to work commitments, and I was asked if I could knock together a review of the event.
It was never my intention to cause problems behind the scenes,by doing the review.

i would like too add,that Hilton and Darryl made a great job with the mentioned replica set,and its not that hard to build,if you were to have a bash at it.

the lighting is really just xmas/party lights,with strategic cut holes behind the panels,which are coloured from behind.
very simple but clever and effective.

Donald

karr1981

Assistant Commander
Staff member
And you did a great job mate, you took some great pics

I think I should add, i was asked to do the article in SFFM, i originally attended to take pictures for my own use.
The person, who was to do the requested article, was unable to do so due to work commitments, and I was asked if I could knock together a review of the event.
It was never my intention to cause problems behind the scenes,by doing the review.

i would like too add,that Hilton and Darryl made a great job with the mentioned replica set,and its not that hard to build,if you were to have a bash at it.

the lighting is really just xmas/party lights,with strategic cut holes behind the panels,which are coloured from behind.
very simple but clever and effective.

Donald

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Donald

Hi Donald,

I was puzzled by the closed door policy and how this was at odds with a public article is all. This was the only point I was making. I thought the article was very good especially considering the circumstances in which it was written. Your photos were also excellent and captured the flavour of the day very well.

Will you be covering this year's event or has it gone underground again?

stiki

Alphans
Thanks for all the info gents.
The set recreation sure does look beautiful and I guess it's all the more poignant now that Production Designer Keith Wilson has passed away.
I'm sure a great deal of the shows success and appeal can be attributed to Mr. Wilson's innovative design.
I only got to meet him once, but he was very kind about my miniature recreations of some of his sets.
I'm sure he will be missed.

saturnapollo

Alphans
Bernie

I said at the time (on record on this forum) that bearing in mind the policy of restricting access, that doing an article was not a good idea (as was pointed out by some others).

I find it slightly cheeky of someone who has been invited to then take exception of said policy and start publicising the meeting (and stating that you don't like the exclusive policy) when all of us who had been invited did as requested and did not speak of it on the open forum. Those who put the work into arranging these things (and in the early days actually opened up their homes to the meeting) had every right to decide on who they wanted to invite.

Keith

stiki

Alphans
Sorry!
I didn't mean to open up a can of worms here.
I just love the set and thought it would be nice to share with like-minded people...
The video is freely available on YouTube.

rockwellcm

Alphans
Hi Donald,

I was puzzled by the closed door policy and how this was at odds with a public article is all. This was the only point I was making. I thought the article was very good especially considering the circumstances in which it was written. Your photos were also excellent and captured the flavour of the day very well.

Will you be covering this year's event or has it gone underground again?

Mike Reccia was there in person,and took his own stuff for publication.
he did not make it clear if there would be a published feature on the event.

i did take pictures,like the year before,but i have not had a chance to get a real look at what i have done due to recent local events i have also covered in the last few weeks.

a lot of the models have been covered in the past,and what i took was really to assist me in various builds i am working on.
as you know the day goes in very quickly,and due to issues beyond others control,i found myself not being able to `go the distance`due to a wild party next to my room which lasted into the small hours before the `meet`
i therefore did not cover as much as i would have liked.

Captain Sci-Fi

Commander
Bernie

I said at the time (on record on this forum) that bearing in mind the policy of restricting access, that doing an article was not a good idea (as was pointed out by some others).

I find it slightly cheeky of someone who has been invited to then take exception of said policy and start publicising the meeting (and stating that you don't like the exclusive policy) when all of us who had been invited did as requested and did not speak of it on the open forum. Those who put the work into arranging these things (and in the early days actually opened up their homes to the meeting) had every right to decide on who they wanted to invite.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I am a cheeky chap by nature, I prefer to take the happy approach to life. I haven't publicised anything that hasn't been published to my Facebook page quite openly, including this worldwide Youtube video.

I absolutely agree with you, arrangers can choose who is and who is not invited. I still hold my view that it is not a good policy and slightly irresponsible to allow this kind of publicity, youtube videos, articles and such like if they want to operate in secret.

The problem is you are dead wrong and not everyone did respect the organisers wishes for silence and lots of information has poured from the leaky boat, this has nothing to do with me by the way, look to your own crew, I chose not to be there remember? I didn't take photos or video's or publish anything about the Eagle Meet. That information was set free by those who attended so don't blame me.

Nothing to see here, move along. :D

1999man

Alphans
Looking for the TOUCH SENSOR BLACK/white BUTTONS transparency!

Hello everyone!
Well, I was the first to respond to the video on YOU TUBE concerning the partial replication of the command center that was shot on video and I still haven't received a reply. But I live in Hope as Commander Koenig once said.
Perhaps I was too "American Trash" for them! I didn't know this was going on!:no:
Be that as it may (!) has anyone made the BLACK/WHITE TOUCH SENSOR BUTTONS stickers transparency seen on the Command Centers Wall Computers as well as the desk seen at the end of this video? If anybody is willing to sell a few sheets please get in touch with me a.s.a.p.! I can paypal the money! JUST ASKING! THANKS!

RIP Keith Wilson, you will be missed by this American -truly.:cry:

Andy2035

Alphans
We are planning to hold a forum meeting & exhibition next year it has been talked about a few times in the recent past and we certainly could do it if we had the support from members.

There is a good possibility there will be several meetings held over the next 12 months. One in particular proposed by Graham (FAB1) looks promising, more on that later as plans develop.

There is no reason why members who live in the local area to each other can't get together, some already do. If you add the location you live in to your details under the User CP (near top on the left of this screen) people will know if you are in the UK, USA, Europe or wherever and it will make life easier for invites. This is not a rule however just a suggestion if you want to organise something for yourselves.

I'll keep event's in mind and start to plan a little more seriously, feel free to publish if you attend any modelling group IPMS etc, or if you will be attending swap meets and see if you can hook up there.

Cap'n

Hi Cap'n,

May I ask where roughly would a meeting take place please, it would be great to come along and to meet you all...

As for local shows/meets etc in my area, I have no idea nor would I have any idea on where to look, model shops in my area have all closed so I can't even go to them to find out...:cry:

Thank you for any info...

Andy...

Tim Smith

Alphans
What a cool video! And what an amazing set!! I so wish I could see some of this stuff in person. Well done, all involved. I was also surprised by the very next video that was suggested to follow this work of art. It looked very familiar and gave me a big smile to see it suggested.

forza27

Alphans
Hi Cap'n,

May I ask where roughly would a meeting take place please, it would be great to come along and to meet you all...

As for local shows/meets etc in my area, I have no idea nor would I have any idea on where to look, model shops in my area have all closed so I can't even go to them to find out...:cry:

Thank you for any info...

Andy...

Andy et all, IPMS (UK) Scale Model World', the IPMS Nationals 2011
The biggest model show in the World will be held on Saturday November 12th and Sunday November 13th 2011,
at the Telford International Centre. Anyone going?

Andy2035

Alphans
It looks like a great show, it's about an hour and a half down the road from me, so I guess I could pop along all going well...

w8cmp

Alphans
Yep - I had to park half a mile away and that was at 9:30am !

I'll be aiming for a 7am arrival next time I think...

saturnapollo

Alphans
Last year was unusual because of all the building works. I think that will all be finished this year and the full car park should be available again. Have to admit we've never really had too much problem getting in either day, but we usually arrive pretty early on the Saturday and around 9am on the Sunday.

This year we're staying at the hotel on the grounds so it won't be an issue.

Keith