Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

CONFETTI A - OK EPISODE

SPACE 1899

Alphans
Have just seen the above episode for the first time last night, having recently been watching and recording all the episodes currently showing on ITV4.

One of the best episode of the lot in my opinion, with fine acting / play-off between Straker and his wife.

Superb tension that kept me wondering all the time will he / won't he tell her about SHADO
eg 1 - when Mary shouts "What's more important ? Me, or whatever you get up to til 3 in the morning ?"
eg 2 - when Mary was walking down the stairs with a suitcase, intending to leave him, because she believed Straker was seeing another woman.

Great 'human' touch at the end too, when Straker orders the operative who's partner has just had a baby to take a week off with immediate effect.

Sorry, if this thread is a repeat - this is my first post to the UFO Monitor section (I usually post on the Space 1999 'Big Screen' section), but it was such a great episode I had to write a post.

Come to think of it, it's a shame there wasn't ever a similar flashback Space 1999 episode that showed Koenig's earlier relationship with Marcia, although it is interesting to read about it anyway at the start of EC Tubbs 'Earthfall' novel.

One lingering question - would Mary's life really have been in danger if he had told her about SHADO ?

Last edited:

MkIXHawk

Alphans
The fewer people who are in on a secret, the less likelihood there is of it being leaked.
Furthermore, as the wife of the Commander-in-chief, she would be a tempting target for someone attempting to coerce or blackmail Straker. In 'Flight Path', we find that the suborned Dawson was using the threat of violence against Carol Roper to extract information from her husband.

In Mary Straker's case, it's literally a case of 'What she doesn't know, won't hurt her'

Bishop

Alphans
It is a great ep. The whole story arc with Straker and wife was very well done, very real and very sad... very un I dream of Jeannie or Brady bunch like. No perfect family nonsense.

DX-SFX

Alphans
That episode dovetails nicely into "A Question Of Priorities" where Mary has obviously become estranged by Strakers work.

SPACE 1899

Alphans
The fewer people who are in on a secret, the less likelihood there is of it being leaked.
Furthermore, as the wife of the Commander-in-chief, she would be a tempting target for someone attempting to coerce or blackmail Straker. In 'Flight Path', we find that the suborned Dawson was using the threat of violence against Carol Roper to extract information from her husband.

In Mary Straker's case, it's literally a case of 'What she doesn't know, won't hurt her'

Indeed - a tough call to make.

At any rate, whatever way you look at it, that rule resulted in the breakdown of Strakers marriage.

Maybe the SHADO job specification should have stated "only 'single' people need apply"...

spiffer

Alphans
That episode dovetails nicely into "A Question Of Priorities" where Mary has obviously become estranged by Strakers work.

"A Question Of Priorities" is my absolute favourite episode of UFO. In my opinion it is the finest 50(ish) minutes output of Gerry Anderson's career. Every time I watch AQOP I am amazed at how much drama and action is covered in such a short time.
If I could have only one recording of a Gerry Anderson production I would chose this one.
"Confetti Check" is a really good one too.

Kevin

paul gray

Forum Supporter
"A Question Of Priorities" is my absolute favourite episode of UFO. In my opinion it is the finest 50(ish) minutes output of Gerry Anderson's career. Every time I watch AQOP I am amazed at how much drama and action is covered in such a short time
here ,here. the best episode by a mile
cheers Paul

Absolutely, yes.

However... From a woman's point of view... :D I would have liked Straker to tell her nevertheless. I'm almost sure both of them would have been happier then (even considering all possible dangers). But, of course, SHADO IS more important than personal happiness...

Anyway: Knowing what we know about what will happen in AQOP - I believe, Johnny would never have had the accident if Straker and Mary never had a divorce...

That is what it all comes down to... (in my opinion, that is).

SPACE 1899

Alphans
Knowing what we know about what will happen in AQOP - I believe, Johnny would never have had the accident if Straker and Mary never had a divorce...

Good point Shado(w)Girl.

And logically, Straker and Mary would never have had the divorce, if Straker had been able to tell her about Shado.

And so logically, the job of Shado Commander should not have been given to someone who was married...

So why was it !!! ???...

Bishop

Alphans
It certainly would have made sense for them to work as a team rather than leave Straker in this awful predicament. Of course this stuff happens in real life all the time, and even spouses understanding what's happening doesn't always save marriages. So hats off to the guys for putting this out there when they did.

And so logically, the job of Shado Commander should not have been given to someone who was married...

So why was it !!! ???...

Because Straker had the knowledge, the dedication, the skills and the passion for the job. The UN representatives saw that in his presentation. You need someone tough, relentless and willing to make the hardest decisions. Straker did that time and again. Anyone less dedicated would have told his wife and would have ordered the transport plane carrying the drug back on course.

And of course Straker knew from the beginning what kind of job this was going to be.

I was just thinking... WAS he already married when given SHADO command? I'm not quite sure right now.:think: In any case he was involved in it BEFORE he got married, wasn't he? (I really should re-watch all episodes ASAP.:mrgreen:)

Anyway, everyone with family ties could be object to blackmail or worse - so where do you draw the line? Marriage is just one possible strong bond between people. You also love your parents, your brothers and sisters or friends. In a position such as this, you should always be able to make the right decisions, regardless of such bonds. As difficult as it may be.

T70MkIII

Alphans
I also thought "A Question Of Priorities" was a great ep, but quite upsetting because I have a young son. It's very hard to watch / read stuff like that these days, whereas if I was still a young single male it wouldn't have bothered me at all.

Last edited:

DX-SFX

Alphans
Anyway, everyone with family ties could be object to blackmail or worse - so where do you draw the line? Marriage is just one possible strong bond between people. You also love your parents, your brothers and sisters or friends. In a position such as this, you should always be able to make the right decisions, regardless of such bonds. As difficult as it may be.

Nail hit firmly on head. A ceremony doesn't change how you feel about someone. The personal bonds we have with others are always there and the potential for exploitation by the bad guys.

SPACE 1899

Alphans
Nail hit firmly on head. A ceremony doesn't change how you feel about someone. The personal bonds we have with others are always there and the potential for exploitation by the bad guys.

Therefore, the ideal candidate for Shado command should have been a loner.

Problem solved.

Bishop

Alphans
Which he pretty much does to all but Freeman and to a lesser extent Foster. That comes more after the pain of the marriage breakdown and the lose of his son. I agree with T70MkIII about how difficult it is to watch that ep with my 4 little ones around.

Stu73

Alphans
I cant believe that someone with bleached blonde hair and eyeliner actually found a bird to marry him??!!! lol mind you, it was the 80s apparently...

DX-SFX

Alphans
Which he pretty much does to all but Freeman and to a lesser extent Foster. That comes more after the pain of the marriage breakdown and the lose of his son. I agree with T70MkIII about how difficult it is to watch that ep with my 4 little ones around.

There's a subtle difference between an officer keeping a professional distance from the privates on the ground and seeking solitude. I think the character is interestring and a little tragic in that he clearly is as human as anyone else but also carries a great responsibilty on his shoulders that sometimes has to overide personal considerations. The fact that he arguably misappropriates Shado personel and equipment to get the drug for his son speaks volumes and it's only the subsequent turn of events that prevents the aircraft from arriving in time. The real pain comes from the fact that he can't explain it to his wife.

T70MkIII

Alphans
There's a subtle difference between an officer keeping a professional distance from the privates on the ground and seeking solitude. I think the character is interestring and a little tragic in that he clearly is as human as anyone else but also carries a great responsibilty on his shoulders that sometimes has to overide personal considerations. The fact that he arguably misappropriates Shado personel and equipment to get the drug for his son speaks volumes and it's only the subsequent turn of events that prevents the aircraft from arriving in time. The real pain comes from the fact that he can't explain it to his wife.

Well said, DX.