Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• We have updated the Terms and Conditions, you will be prompted to read and agree to these next time you are active on the forum.
SPONSORED BY

Dayna's Concealed Handgun

birdie

Alphans
This weapon turns up quite a bit in S3, I'd like to have a shot at building one. Anyone know anything about this prop, or if any reference exists apart from screencaps?

birdie

Alphans
Been working on this in odd moments of spare time over Christmas.

I considered sculpting the main body from Super-Sculpey, but happened on this on Ebay, which I decided to use as a base.

After deconstruction and frenzied attack with a belt sander to narrow the handle, I was left with these fragments for my £5.99 from Agros

Once much filling and reshaping with Milliput had taken place, this would form the basis of the lower section of the prop.

birdie

Alphans
I generally use standard Milliput for general sculpting (cheaper) with a skin of Superfine for sanding to a nice finish.

The top section of the gun was made this way. I kept reshaping the thing throughout the building process. Here's the basic build along with the rough styrene sheet scratch of the firing parts before sanding and filling:

And attached with a primer coat:

birdie

Alphans
Finished!

The completed prop in all it's green glory!

The Friedland is partly artistic licence. The original prop certainly fired charged activated by a top trigger, and a few caps show what could be a Friedland, impossible to say for sure without better pics.

Anyway, came out okay as a little Xmas project :)

MoonbaseAlpha

Chief Eagle Pilot
The gun looks great mate !!!

The friedland bell push Im sure is right, as it was a stock item in the BBC Visual Effects Deparment stores, and used on virtually everything in that period.

I dont know where the original gun is...

Andy H.

Last edited:

Stu73

Alphans
looks good- I assumed (maybe I am wrong) that the original prop was made from the handle of a Hoover...

birdie

Alphans
looks good- I assumed (maybe I am wrong) that the original prop was made from the handle of a Hoover...

I looked at a lot of old vacuums and whatnot, didn't find a match.

When I was looking at the caps the image that came into my head, for some reason, was one of those ridiculous gadgets that K-Tel and Ronco used to sell on TV in the seventies and eighties - Lint-Gone, Buttonmatic and all that crap.

That actually lead me to the also ludicrous modern de-bobbler that was the closet I could find :lol:

Stu73

Alphans
I looked at a lot of old vacuums and whatnot, didn't find a match.

When I was looking at the caps the image that came into my head, for some reason, was one of those ridiculous gadgets that K-Tel and Ronco used to sell on TV in the seventies and eighties - Lint-Gone, Buttonmatic and all that crap.

That actually lead me to the also ludicrous modern de-bobbler that was the closet I could find :lol:

:thumbup::clap:

Hey! I resent that. Those were houshold essentials, they were!

(Says the guy who knows exactly where in the house to put his hands on a buttonmatic) :oops:

Exterminator

Deputy Commander
Staff member
Oops, a bit late to the party, but I'd like to add my congrats on a nice job! :thumbup:

What paint colour did you use? It certainly looks spot-on!! It looks like Rover Tara Green?

Last edited:

birdie

Alphans
Oops, a bit late to the party, but I'd like to add my congrats on a nice job! :thumbup:

What paint colour did you use? It certainly looks spot-on!! It looks like Rover Tara Green?

There's a man who knows his Halford's paint range! Spot on :thumbup:

Ham Salad

Alphans
What's halfords?

Also, is it becoming difficult to get automotive paint there? In the US, it's getting harder due to environmental regulations.....

Exterminator

Deputy Commander
Staff member
I've just watched "Aftermath" and "City At The Edge Of The World", and it looks like there's at least TWO of these guns.

In "Aftermath", the gun that Servalan fires at Mellanby looks quite wide, and you can just about make out the Friedland bell push on the top, but the gun that Chel is handling when Servalan is telling him "such a weapon will give you great power" looks thinner, and there is no Friedland bell push.

In "City At The Edge Of The World", the gun that Cally uses to fire at the cliff face looks very thin. Could this be the stunt version, modified to fire charges?

Have a look at the attached "screen-photos", and see what you think. :think:

Attachments

• gun1.JPG
    gun1.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 22
  • gun2.JPG
    gun2.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 19
  • gun2a.JPG
    gun2a.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 20
  • gun3.JPG